Cannt Exit Pr Priming Mode On A New Costco Infinity Spa / Balboa 500z

Hi

I've just taken delivery of my first hottub here in the UK, and am having real problems gettin it to cycle continuously.

Its an Infinity Spa / Balboa 500Z interface, and filled it as instructed using the hosepipe through the filter unit with the filter removed. However, I cannt seem to get it to stay out of PR (priming) mode for long at all. I have set the desired temperature to 38 degrees, and it started off yesterday at 18 degress from the tap. After 24 hours its only 27 degrees, and that beacuase I have to reset it every hour or so. I can sometimes get it to pass the PR cycle (I think), by putting all the jets on immediately after power is put on, and after the 2 minute temperature measuring cycle it sometimes displays the temperature for a period of a few minutes to about half an hour. Then when I come back to it, the jets have timed off, and it displays PR mode again.

Please can anybody advise how I make the tub get past the priming mode, and heat up properly and remain stable?

FYI its set in Standard mode as well, not economy or sleep.

Finally, there is a "heat" symbol marked on the control panel - its not mentioned in the manual (which is c**p), can anybody please tell me what this is for?

regs

adrian

Hi

I've just taken delivery of my first hottub here in the UK, and am having real problems gettin it to cycle continuously.

Its an Infinity Spa / Balboa 500Z interface, and filled it as instructed using the hosepipe through the filter unit with the filter removed. However, I cannt seem to get it to stay out of PR (priming) mode for long at all. I have set the desired temperature to 38 degrees, and it started off yesterday at 18 degress from the tap. After 24 hours its only 27 degrees, and that beacuase I have to reset it every hour or so. I can sometimes get it to pass the PR cycle (I think), by putting all the jets on immediately after power is put on, and after the 2 minute temperature measuring cycle it sometimes displays the temperature for a period of a few minutes to about half an hour. Then when I come back to it, the jets have timed off, and it displays PR mode again.

Please can anybody advise how I make the tub get past the priming mode, and heat up properly and remain stable?

Finally, there is a "heat" symbol marked on the control panel - its not mentioned in the manual (which is c**p), can anybody please tell me what this is for?

regs

adrian

Please verify all wiring to make sure it is correct. Also on the back of the panel of the control box is a list for dip switches. UK is 50 hz correct? Find the one for hz and make sure it is at the correct setting.

With the balboa packs after power up and it goes thru a bunch of numbers PR comes up. Press the temp up button. This should start the pump and search for water temp. --- will be on display. After is finds the temp the heat light comes on and will test the system and them come on steady to heat the water. The heat symbol is just a indicator to tell you the spa is heating

Hi

regs

adrian

Please verify all wiring to make sure it is correct. Also on the back of the panel of the control box is a list for dip switches. UK is 50 hz correct? Find the one for hz and make sure it is at the correct setting.

With the balboa packs after power up and it goes thru a bunch of numbers PR comes up. Press the temp up button. This should start the pump and search for water temp. --- will be on display. After is finds the temp the heat light comes on and will test the system and them come on steady to heat the water. The heat symbol is just a indicator to tell you the spa is heating

Thanks for the reply. I've just checked the voltage dip switch (no 6) and it is set correctly to ON = 50 htz (UK spec)

The wiring appears to be perfect to me, as was wired by a qualified electrican yesterday (who I know and trust). The only things I have noticed inside the circuit board are:

1) fuse F7 (10 amp) is missing - dosnt look like it was ever there, but I cannt find an online manual to say what it is for

2) amperage select is ON (low) whereas I guess it could be set to off (high)

and

3) the heater light on the control panel has never come on. The water temperature is now 29 degrees C, but is is a warm day here. The Tub has been powered up for 24 hours now, but still reports Pr mode.

any further thoughts please?

regs

adrian

Hi

regs

adrian

Thanks for the reply. I've just checked the voltage dip switch (no 6) and it is set correctly to ON = 50 htz (UK spec)

The wiring appears to be perfect to me, as was wired by a qualified electrican yesterday (who I know and trust). The only things I have noticed inside the circuit board are:

1) fuse F7 (10 amp) is missing - dosnt look like it was ever there, but I cannt find an online manual to say what it is for

2) amperage select is ON (low) whereas I guess it could be set to off (high)

and

3) the heater light on the control panel has never come on. The water temperature is now 29 degrees C, but is is a warm day here. The Tub has been powered up for 24 hours now, but still reports Pr mode.

any further thoughts please?

regs

adrian

If it is not giving any other error messages, like DRY or OHH. You have a bad board. I can't comment on the amp rating switch since I live in the US

• 1 month later...
Hi

regs

adrian

Hi,

Try putting it in standard mode and see if that helps.

Hi

regs

adrian

I have a few suggestions:

Are you turning on all your jets on high speed to help priming mode? If not, I would turn them on. Also, I would check to ensure that you don't have any air locks by purging air out of the lines. Many of the Infinity tubs have thumbscrews near the pumps that allow a user to bleed out the excess air.

Here is what the manual says about priming mode:

Pump Priming. As soon as “Pr” is indicated on the topside

panel, push all Jet buttons to start the pumps. On

models with a combined Jet button, push it until all

pumps are on high speed. All pumps need to be running

in the high speed mode to facilitate priming. If the pumps

have not primed after 2 minutes, and water is not flowing

from the jets in the spa, do not allow the pumps to

continue to run. Turn the power off at the main power

panel and repeat the process of venting the air from the

pump(s). (See step 4 on this page). After venting air from

the pump(s) a second time, turn the power back on at

the main power panel. This will initiate a new pump

priming mode. Sometimes momentarily turning the pump

off and on will help it to prime. Do not do this more than

5 times.

The instructions above reference "Step 4". I've copied it below:

4. Vent air from the pump(s). Do this by loosening the

union nuts on the discharge of all pumps. Allow a small

amount of water and air to escape from the pump(s) and

related plumbing. Retighten the union nuts.

HTH,

Ken