Newbie That Needs Help Pronto!

We just had a pool built. The pool company did the startup on Thursday. The pool is approximately 11,000 gallons. The pool guy added 160lbs of salt and 16lbs of stabilizer. He told me to start the chlorine generator on Friday and check the salt level. The control (Aqua Logic) only said that the salt level was "very low". I added another bag of salt on Friday afternoon.

Checked the salt level this morning, and it still said "very low", so I added another bag. So that makes a grand total of 240lbs of salt added since startup on Thursday.

2 questions regarding the salt:

1. Have I added enough salt according to general guidelines for the size of the pool?

2. Will the chlorine generator run if the salt level is that low?

I am worried that if I don't get this corrected quickly that I will end up with an algae problem.

Second issue. At start up, the ph was high. The acid test said that we should add 2 pints of acid, but the pool guy said not to add it. He wanted me to wait until Friday and test again. I did, and the test said that I needed to add 3 pints of acid. I added the acid and then retested Saturday afternoon. This time the test said that I need to add 4.5 pints of acid.

Is this normal? Shouldn't having added 3 pints of acid the day before dropped the ph?

I am really new to owning a pool, so bear with me if I am asking dumb questions. I really appreciate any help you guys(or gals) can give me.

Thanks,

JJ

We just had a pool built. The pool company did the startup on Thursday. The pool is approximately 11,000 gallons. The pool guy added 160lbs of salt and 16lbs of stabilizer. He told me to start the chlorine generator on Friday and check the salt level. The control (Aqua Logic) only said that the salt level was "very low". I added another bag of salt on Friday afternoon.

Checked the salt level this morning, and it still said "very low", so I added another bag. So that makes a grand total of 240lbs of salt added since startup on Thursday.

2 questions regarding the salt:

1. Have I added enough salt according to general guidelines for the size of the pool?

2. Will the chlorine generator run if the salt level is that low?

I am worried that if I don't get this corrected quickly that I will end up with an algae problem.

Second issue. At start up, the ph was high. The acid test said that we should add 2 pints of acid, but the pool guy said not to add it. He wanted me to wait until Friday and test again. I did, and the test said that I needed to add 3 pints of acid. I added the acid and then retested Saturday afternoon. This time the test said that I need to add 4.5 pints of acid.

Is this normal? Shouldn't having added 3 pints of acid the day before dropped the ph?

I am really new to owning a pool, so bear with me if I am asking dumb questions. I really appreciate any help you guys(or gals) can give me.

Thanks,

JJ

Did you dump the salt just below the skimmer? Did you stir it up a bit? Don't let that pile of salt just lay there on the gunite (or whatever) until it disolves.....I don't know - I'm not sure that it laying there is such a good thing. Anyhow. How does it look today? (Sunday)

Before you set your Ph, test and STABLIZE YOUR ALKALINITY. Once done, then your Ph should be adjusted. DON'T do Ph then Alk....you'll be "chasing a rabbit."

This morning(Sunday) the salt is now registering at 2700 ppm, the ph is 8.2, and the alkalinity is 90ppm.

First off....I have a Goldline system.

A LITTLE more salt.....I got mine at about 3000ppm. You're in the window. Stir it....don't let it lay still down there. Your chlorinator will make chlorine. NOW adjust the ph. Small bits at a time, you don't want to be having to adjust down. Your alk is fine...should be between 80-120. THE ALK will stablize the ph. Get to it.

THEN, check the chl and the cyna acid. Get a test kit. When you have that all dialed in, (literally) you'll be good to go.