Cleaning Spa Filters

Peg

dishwasher has detergent and could disperse soap for a nice bubble bath and perhaps unneccasary TDS into the water.

just to reinterate, powdered automatic dishwasher detergent such as Electrosol or Cascade is basically TSP. It is what is recommended by Unicel, who is one of the largest manufacturers of OEM and replacement cartridtges and others. http://www.unicelfilters.com/pool_owners/c...orine_users.asp

Using the dishwasher is probably not as effective as soaking overnight but it might work. In either case be sure to rinse it cart off well with a hose.

just to reinterate, powdered automatic dishwasher detergent such as Electrosol or Cascade is basically TSP. It is what is recommended by Unicel, who is one of the largest manufacturers of OEM and replacement cartridtges and others. http://www.unicelfilters.com/pool_owners/c...orine_users.asp

Using the dishwasher is probably not as effective as soaking overnight but it might work. In either case be sure to rinse it cart off well with a hose.

Thanks! I will soak the filters the run them through the dishwasher. Easy to do especialy when house hosebibs are winterized.

What about your electric bill using the dishwasher? You cannot substantiate a claim on your electric bill when it comes. ;)

Let's see.....5 gpms a minute of watter for say three minutes versus 2.5 gpm. on dishwasher......mmmm electrical is not a issue. The usage chart for a H.E dishwaher is less the $15 dollars a year....so i'd opt for the dishwasher in my case.

Let's see.....5 gpms a minute of watter for say three minutes versus 2.5 gpm. on dishwasher......mmmm electrical is not a issue. The usage chart for a H.E dishwaher is less the $15 dollars a year....so i'd opt for the dishwasher in my case.

BLAAAAA... ;) That's so fricken gross.... If you're having people over for TG, let them know that body fluids, hair, urine, sweat and Gawd knows WHAT else runs in the same appliance that cleans your dishes! It'll make for wonderful conversation over dinner! :wacko:

I'm going to puke now...back l8tr...

BLAAAAA... ;) That's so fricken gross.... If you're having people over for TG, let them know that body fluids, hair, urine, sweat and Gawd knows WHAT else runs in the same appliance that cleans your dishes! It'll make for wonderful conversation over dinner! :wacko:

I'm going to puke now...back l8tr...

I can see your point but dosen't your machine sanitize your dishes? most do.

• 4 years later...

I would like to thank you all for sharing your valuable information. With baqua spa you must use their filter cleaner before using anything else on the filter. I think it requires a special filter cleaner to be used instead of normal filter cleaner.

Biguanide (Baqua, SoftSoak, etc.) does require a special filter cleaner to remove the 'goo'. Just another reason why it is not recommended.

Every one of my Biguanide customers who tried anything but the reccomended Baqua cleaner on their filters ended up buying replacement filters from me.

As for other types of sanitizers, due to the fact that phosphates have been banned from a lot of stores, including dishwasher soap, I simply purchase it off the web.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/260830881439?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I then mix the powder with a hot water soloution to dissolve it, about 5-6 tablespoons to a pint, then fill a 5 gallon bucket with 4 gallons of warm water, and add the mixed pint.

I soak the filter(s) overnight or longer, then hose (not pressure wash) them off.

I never use simple green or any soap that can create suds.

I use my dishwasher for dishes, not my spa filter, for the same reason I wouldn't use my underwear laundry water to boil my eggs.

BTW, Muriatic acid is a Hydrocloric acid/water solution, and a 20-1 solution will, in 8 hours, remove most mineral deposits from your filter fabric. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrochloric_acid. It is the active ingredient in the gastric acid your stomach produces to digest food.

It is concentrated or liquid chlorine you don't want to mix with it, that is what produces mustard gas.