Best Wat To Lower Water Temperature

jkusmier

A thermometer resting at the bottom of my 32x16 inground (vinyl liner) pool reads 90F. My pool area is a solar oven - a SWW exposure, a large concrete patio adjacent to the pool deck and tall masonry walls at both ends. Ambient air temp today was probably 110F.

I'm familiar w/ some of the standard recommendations: drain and replace water (will mess up my water chemistry and only buy me a few days), pool sprinklers or jets (will lower pH TA, and pH).

Other solutions that have occurred to me:

1) add ice (will have to drain a little water) and;

2) add dry ice, in a weighted mesh bag so it will sink in the deep end (what will this do to my pool chemistry, besides lowering TA via aeration?

An academic and practical question. Weird, but I'd appreciate any replies. I anticipate pool water temps of 95F+ by early August.

Thanks for humoring me.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a few solutions (besides ice blocks, dry ice, aeration, etc).

Glacier Pool Coolers makes pool coolers link. Claim to lower water temps ~10-14F in 12 hours, but they're way too expensive for me.

Also found some homemade versions at link and link. Doubt the homemades last as long, but they probably cost a fraction of the commercial versions from Glacier.

Found this interesting, thought I'd share.

• 4 weeks later...

As for dry ice, I would expect it to lower PH dramatically. I'm guessing at this, but it sounds logical. Some of the new PH control systems use CO2 to lower the PH by injecting it into the water after the filter, so throwing in a chunk of dry ice would (I think) do the same thing. Wouldn't it take a huge amount of ice to make much of a difference in such a large quantity of water as well?

Running a fountain (Google "pool fountain") will cool the water in the spray since some of it evaporates and this water cools the pool. It does work, but it's not particularly efficient and, of course, you will lose some water this way which will then be auto-filled. Also, the splashing/aeration of the water will tend to make the pH rise.

Running the pool water through solar panels at night (as suggested by Pool Clown) is quite effective, but of course you have to have solar panels to do that.

Running a fountain (Google "pool fountain") will cool the water in the spray since some of it evaporates and this water cools the pool. It does work, but it's not particularly efficient and, of course, you will lose some water this way which will then be auto-filled. Also, the splashing/aeration of the water will tend to make the pH rise.

Running the pool water through solar panels at night (as suggested by Pool Clown) is quite effective, but of course you have to have solar panels to do that.

Cool off the pool??? Move to Ohio, lol, we NEVER have that problem here! :lol: