White Powder On Bottom Of Pool

whgbob

I just refilled my pool after two years of fighting a losing battle. I have had an aboveground pool for over twenty five years and never had this problem. A white powder has appeared on the bottom of the pool and has made it very cloudy. I have used a clarifier and it seems to help but than it comes back a couple of days later. I have vacuumed consistantly on a daily basis thinking that I haven't got it all out. But the next day its back again. It is a white powder that makes like a scum residue on the bottom and about a foot up on the sides. The Ph seems to be alright the alcalinity is a little high. Have shocked after each rain to keepit where it should be. Am using nature2 sanitizer. Help!

I just refilled my pool after two years of fighting a losing battle. I have had an aboveground pool for over twenty five years and never had this problem. A white powder has appeared on the bottom of the pool and has made it very cloudy. I have used a clarifier and it seems to help but than it comes back a couple of days later. I have vacuumed consistantly on a daily basis thinking that I haven't got it all out. But the next day its back again. It is a white powder that makes like a scum residue on the bottom and about a foot up on the sides. The Ph seems to be alright the alcalinity is a little high. Have shocked after each rain to keepit where it should be. Am using nature2 sanitizer. Help!

Have you had your pool water tested for Phosphates??? I just went thru the cloudy water and white powder on the bottom, come to find out when I was spraying Round Up around the pool, so of it traveled into the water and caused it to multiply.

Have you had your pool water tested for Phosphates??? I just went thru the cloudy water and white powder on the bottom, come to find out when I was spraying Round Up around the pool, so of it traveled into the water and caused it to multiply.

Now that's a new one on me!! So what are you saying is , you sprayed the Round up and it got somehow in the pool and it multiplyd????? :huh:

Somebody please enlighten me!!!!

I don't know nothing about the nature 2, but I suspect that there is a problem with your water chemistry.

Can you post some numbers for ph,alkalinity , CYA and CH if that applies for your Pool??

Margit

I think he means that if you get fertilizer in the pool then that adds to nitrates and phosphates which are essential plant nutrients. Algae is a form of plant that needs nitrates and phosphates to grow so you accelerate such growth when you add fertilizer to the pool. However, unless the phosphate level gets very, very high (> 3000 ppb) you can control algae growth using chlorine alone with a Free Chlorine (FC) level that is at least 7.5% of the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level. If a lot of fertilizer got in the pool, then a phosphate remover can lower the phosphate level by precipitating it.

I think he means that if you get fertilizer in the pool then that adds to nitrates and phosphates which are essential plant nutrients. Algae is a form of plant that needs nitrates and phosphates to grow so you accelerate such growth when you add fertilizer to the pool. However, unless the phosphate level gets very, very high (> 3000 ppb) you can control algae growth using chlorine alone with a Free Chlorine (FC) level that is at least 7.5% of the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level. If a lot of fertilizer got in the pool, then a phosphate remover can lower the phosphate level by precipitating it.

QFT ^^

QFT ^^

Thanks Richard, now that makes sense....