What Is Causing Yellow Stains On My Steps?

New vinyl-lined inground w/ SWG. I'm thinking sunblock? I've had success cleaning the waterline area w/ Sea Klear Tile and Liner cleaner, but not much cleaning the treds atop the first step, which is just above the waterline. Advice?

My pool dealer recommends dry acid (ph down). He said to sprinkle it on the steps and use a brush to scrub it in and it should take care of the staining. I haven't tried it yet myself but will this weekend. Just make sure you watch your ph level when doing this and adjust back up accordingly with borax.

Thanks for the tip. I tried a small spot earlier this evening and it seemed to help - will evaluate in better light tomorrow. I've read Jack's Magic Step Stuff works wonders, but didn't want to spend $35 if $2 of pH Minus will do the trick.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried pH Minus a few times to no avail. The stain is at/above the waterline and - strangely - is absent from the side of the steps that receives the most sun.

I'm thinking sunblock/body oils... I've read alot of good things about Jack's Magic products, including the "Step Stuff," which is supposed to be formulated specifically for yellw/brown stains on steps. Anyone ever tried this?

I've tried pH Minus a few times to no avail. The stain is at/above the waterline and - strangely - is absent from the side of the steps that receives the most sun.

I'm thinking sunblock/body oils... I've read alot of good things about Jack's Magic products, including the "Step Stuff," which is supposed to be formulated specifically for yellw/brown stains on steps. Anyone ever tried this?

When I first opened my pool the buddy seats and steps were a horrible yellow. I tried all of the pool stores' recomendations and finally bought Jack's Step Stuff.....it worked but not right away. I kept on it and within two days my steps were a brilliant white.

Thank you - I've searched long and far for reviews/anecdotal comments on "The Step Stuff" to no avail. A cousin of mind also swear by it, so I think I'll get some and try it a few weeks before closing.

/also read the MSDS for "The Step Stuff," but the formula is proprietary so no go. I've tried bleach, phosphoric acid and sodium bisulphate, to no avail, so I'll spend the money and if it works I'll be humming.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm saving "The Step Stuff" for just before closing - or perhaps upon opening next April.

Anyway, a post in another forum recommended a sponge and baking soda. (I use exactly that to clean stainless steel sinks). The light was failing when I tried it awhile ago, but it appears to have worked fairly well. Of course, dry acid and tile cleaner have worked fairly well also, but the stain simply reappears a couple days later. I suppose this is something I'll have to learn to live with. Going to buy some ScumBugs.

I know ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) is recommended for iron stains, but I don't think mine is an iron stain since it only appears at the waterline on my steps and (to a much lesser degree) on the skimmer plate. The return fittings and drains are white as can be.

• 2 years later...

We put in shock and the balance pak 100 (and all the other products recommended to open our pool) and then our turned pool (green) and steps turned (yellow/brown) adding additional shock only made it worse. The sides were not slimy and the steps could not be cleaned with ANYTHING! I found a link on this forum that said to put ascorbic acid (Vitamin C powder) into the pool. We were having a pool party and so I went to the local vitamin store bought the powder, and amazing right before our eyes our pool turned back to crystal clear!! We will also follow up with the metal out, but the vitamin C was INSTANT. To test if this is your problem hold Vitamin C on your steps if the color changes than that is your problem.

We put in shock and the balance pak 100 (and all the other products recommended to open our pool) and then our turned pool (green) and steps turned (yellow/brown) adding additional shock only made it worse. The sides were not slimy and the steps could not be cleaned with ANYTHING! I found a link on this forum that said to put ascorbic acid (Vitamin C powder) into the pool. We were having a pool party and so I went to the local vitamin store bought the powder, and amazing right before our eyes our pool turned back to crystal clear!! We will also follow up with the metal out, but the vitamin C was INSTANT. To test if this is your problem hold Vitamin C on your steps if the color changes than that is your problem.

You have iron in your water. It is a common problem in some parts of the country. You water did not turn green but yellow and you have a blue liner so yellow + blue = green.

If you used ascorbic acid DO NOT SHOCK THE POOL for a month and keep the pH below 7.4 for that first month or the staining can return. Be sure to add weekly maintenace additions of metal sequestrant after the initial treatment dose (look for one that is HEDP based not an EDTA based one. HEDP bases ones could also say they contain phosphonates or are phosphonic acid derivatives. Examples are Proteam Metal Magic, Jack's Magic Pink Stuff and Blue Stuff, and GLB SequaSol.)

A good friend of mine had a new liner, white goods, ladder and rail installed this weekend. Years of neglect (mostly from the previous owner) had left virtually his entire step section a medium grey. The day before the new liner was installed, he sprayed his steps with some dilute dish detergent, let them sit for a few mins and took a power washer to them. I can't believe they are the same steps. I don't know that this would help metal stains, but it certainly cut right through years of organic stains.

I'll have to remember that. I found some staining on my steps after opening this year, and per my past experience (that prompted me to start this thread) baking soda, dry acid and tile/vinyl cleaner had little impact. I eventually resorted to a magic eraser, and although it worked I am loath to make a practice of that, even though I rubbed as lightly as possible.