Comments on Soft Soak by SpaGuard

Guest Amanda

We purchased a new 500gal spa about 6 weeks ago and the salesman strongly recommended the Soft Soak cleaning system made by SpaGuard. We didn't want the smell of chlorine or bromine. Unfortunately, I find it really difficult to keep the chemistry in balance and feel like I have to add 5 different things weekly to keep on the program. I've accumulated about 10 huge bottles of different chemicals, all of which seem to cost about $20 each -- and don't last very long.

My water seems clean...but it is a lot of work and $$ to keep it going. Is this worth all the hassle or is there a better non-chlorine/bromine system out there? Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.

We recommend Pristine Blue for our spa customers. It is odorless and less expensive than chlorine, bromine or Soft Soak. You will need to empty the spa and buy a new filter in order to switch, because the soft soak (bagunides) will have gunked up the filter and is not compatible with anything else.

Guest Suncrest

I was in the same situation five years ago with our spa and switched to a product called Rainforest Blue. Since then we put in an 18X36 IG pool and I'm using it in that as well. It is a great product that is easy and inexpensive to use. I buy it online at spafriendly.com where they have more information on the product and have been able to help with any questions I've had.

Guest Ron Parrs

The key to Soft Soak, we have many customers around the country successfully using it, is to keep the sanitizer level at no more than 30 ppm and to add the Waterline control every week to 10 days. If you try keeping the sanitizer level at 50, you can get a sometimes heavy scum line and sometimes a distinct odor. Maintain water balance water balance, let the spa breath & keep the filter clean. Some of our customers use Natural Enzyme along with Soft Soak to further prevent the scum & odor. You can find a lot of Soft Soak info at our website, www.parpools.com .

How will you know if your sanitizer is too high? How can you know from testing it with strips how many parts per million you have in your tub? And if it is too high how do you bring it down? I too use Soft Soak, have never used anything else, just got the tub about 2 months ago and can not seem to get the Ph to a consistant normal level. Please help. Thanks

Ellen

Guest Ron Parrs

Author: Ron Parrs (---.37.104.81.adsl.snet.net)

Date: 09-10-05 05:22

Good morning Ellen!

The Soft Soak test strips will tell you the Sanitizer level. We always

recommend that our customers keep the sanitizer no higher than 30 ppm. At

30 you have just as good sanitizing action as you do when the level is at

50. You also help to better control the waterline & sometimes if there is a

strange "odor", that's taken care of too.

If the sanitizer level gets up over 50, add fresh water to the spa to dilute

it down. Don't add Sanitizer unless the level goes down BELOW 30 & only

bring it up to 30. Follow the chart in the spa care guide. We will have a

top-up chart on the website in a couple of days.

As far as the pH goes, only test it weekly. When you do test, make sure the

bubbles have NOT been activated for at least 4 hours. Bubbles create excess

carbon dioxide in the water artificially driving the pH up. The best

buffering of the pH can be done with a proper adjustment of the Total

Alkalinity; maintain the TA between 100 & 140 ppm. Also maintain the

Calcium Hardness between 175 - 200 ppm; that will assist in the foaming of

the tub AND overall water balance.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Ron

www.parpools.com

Guest Christopher

My wife and I recently bought a 500 gal. hot tub as well and have switched to Soft Soak from Chlorine due to our child with eczema. The 1st sales rep said the non-chlorine would be better, yet a few days (and issues) later, another rep said her daughter was better in Chlorine. I have drained my tub 5 times now only to refill and add more Soft Soak "treatments" per the delaers direction due to a "grease" ring that keeps being lef around the tub.

We will be asking for a full refund and go back to Chlorine. It was a hell of a lot easier to balance - I agree - and a lot less time and disgust consuming. We have not enjoyed the tub for 3 weeks due to the number of issues with Soft Soak.

• 4 years later...

We have been using softsoak for about a year. I never noticed the ring until last week as we just started back up our tub after a few years. I figured it was because of previously using well water in the tub. It is interesting to hear I am not the only one with an oily ring around the tub. What is that gunk anyways?

• 1 year later...

I used it for 2 weeks and NOTHING but headaches with GOO!! I think it was a chemical reaction to something that dealer had prepped prior to delivery.. Anyway $140 later I am now on bromine with no problems.. I will be calling Spa Guard to try to get a refund for all the chemicals.. Dealer gave me some money back but im still out like $85.. Spa guard had now idea what and why after i took pics of the goo and filters .... I wouldnt recommend this to anyone !!!