Algae Growth

flar822

This is my first year of owning a pre-existing 13,000 gallon Doughboy pool with a sand filter that came with my house. I test the pool regularly and am doing great with my chlorine and pH levels. I run the pump and filter at least 8 hours/day, usually more due to the family using the pool so much.

However, the pool temp is rising and as a direct result, I am getting algae growth, only on the bottom, not the sides of the pool.

I am very skeptical of the pool store "experts" who so far seem to continually suggest the most expensive algicide products. Any suggestions out there?

This is my first year of owning a pre-existing 13,000 gallon Doughboy pool with a sand filter that came with my house. I test the pool regularly and am doing great with my chlorine and pH levels. I run the pump and filter at least 8 hours/day, usually more due to the family using the pool so much.

However, the pool temp is rising and as a direct result, I am getting algae growth, only on the bottom, not the sides of the pool.

I am very skeptical of the pool store "experts" who so far seem to continually suggest the most expensive algicide products. Any suggestions out there?

You need to monitor more than just chlorine and pH....What type of chlorine are you using (pucks, liquid, etc.)?

What is your stabilizer level (CYA, Cyanuric acid)? These factors are important. Please post a full set of test results for free chlorine, total chlorine, pH, total alkalinity, calcium hardness, and CYA.. Then it will be possible to see what is going on in your pool. Bottom line...if a pool is properly chlorinated, pH and other parameters are in line, and stabilizer level is taken into account the pool will NOT grow algae!

Dear friend ,

whatis suggested in the earlier reply is right. Check all parameters. esp. pH ( 7.2 - 7.4) and Total alkal;inity ( 200 - 300 ppm). If they r Ok.. then 'shock ' your pool by increasing Cl- level to 10 pppm for one day.

Algae will vanish.

remove dead algaae physically then run filter for 12 hrs. and then open the pool for use.

Ucan'yt go wrong.

Dear friend ,

whatis suggested in the earlier reply is right. Check all parameters. esp. pH ( 7.2 - 7.4)

Actually, when trying to kill algae a pH of around 7.8 is more desirable since it will favor the formation of monochloramines, which the algae will consume as food and then die....much the same way inorganic ammonia based 'chlorine enhancers' work.

and Total alkal;inity ( 200 - 300 ppm).

Total alkalinity should be in the range of 100-180 ppm for a vinyl pool

If they r Ok.. then 'shock ' your pool by increasing Cl- level to 10 pppm for one day.

Algae will vanish.

Not if the stabilizer levels are high. If you stabilizer is above 30 ppm you need to shock to about 12 ppm and if above 50 to about 15 ppm. If they are higher there is a problem since FC above 15 ppm can camage a vinyl liner.

remove dead algaae physically then run filter for 12 hrs. and then open the pool for use.

Ucan'yt go wrong.

Flar

I Agree that sometimes having to buy more than just the standard chems are part of the deal with owning a pool.

I agree that having your water properly balanced is the very foundation of proper pooll care. However, I too (and most folks) get algie from time to time (Rainy, cloudy weather seems to be the cataylst last year for me.

I assume there are different kinds/strains (?) of algei and some products may work better than others. Here in MA, me, and my familly who own pools always had good luck with what we called "The black stuff" (A black liquid. Most pool places I've been to know exactly what I am refereing to when I ask for "the black stuff" :)

The other thing to remember is to backwash your filter. some of the algie can remain in the sand and come back to haunt you. I pour a little of the algicide directly into the skimmer, as well as into the pool. Follow the directions on the bottle, and vacuum. I backwash the sand like there is no tomorrow.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Flar

I Agree that sometimes having to buy more than just the standard chems are part of the deal with owning a pool.

I agree that having your water properly balanced is the very foundation of proper pooll care. However, I too (and most folks) get algie from time to time (Rainy, cloudy weather seems to be the cataylst last year for me.

There are only 2 reasons that algae will grow in a pool that does not have a problem with continous algae blooms from such things as high phospahtes or nitrates....too low a FC for the stabilizer level (most commen when using trichlor and dichlor) and not monitoring your FC levels and letting them drop. End of story! It has nothing to do with rain except for the fact that when it rains: 1) more water enters the pool so everthing gets diluted including chlorine 2) most people do NOT test their pool water when it rains or make adjustments!

I assume there are different kinds/strains (?) of algei and some products may work better than others. Here in MA, me, and my familly who own pools always had good luck with what we called "The black stuff" (A black liquid. Most pool places I've been to know exactly what I am refereing to when I ask for "the black stuff" :)

There are only a few types of algecides and most of them are never needed! Chlorine will kill any type of algae if used properly. Copper and silver algecides work but can stain pools and people. IMHO, they are to be avoided. Liner quats will foam and burn the eyes when in the water. Sodium bromide and inorganic ammonia 'chlorine enchancers' create a huge chlorine demand in the pool that require a LOT of shocking to get rid of....IMHO, that amount of chlorine on it's own can take care of the algae problem. They ONLY type of algaecide that is useful WITHOUT negative side effects is polyquat. Use the 60% instead of the 30%. While more expensive to buy it is cheaper to dose!

The other thing to remember is to backwash your filter. some of the algie can remain in the sand and come back to haunt you. I pour a little of the algicide directly into the skimmer, as well as into the pool. Follow the directions on the bottle, and vacuum. I backwash the sand like there is no tomorrow.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

uh, thanks waterbear..'.?

The few times I've had an alge issue were after a period of rainly cloudy weather. Sure, the filter probably wasn't run as often, the chlorine was dilluted. My research tells me there are many many ways that algea can enter a pool, and rain is one way.

I've use the black stuff without issue or problems and had good results. YMMV.