Subpanel For Arctic Spa

Maple

Hi, we just bought an Arctic Spa Yukon Signature and now I am trying to sort out the electrical requirements. I was hoping that some of the more experienced owners could give me some guidance.

I will have an electrician do the work but I want to make sure that I get the right components. As I understand it I should have the electrician:

1.add a breaker to my main household electrical panel

2.run #6 copper wire to a subpanel (GFI protected) located between 5 and 10 feet within sight of the tub

3. run #6 copper wire to the tub

4. all the wire should be protected, perhaps by a metal sheath

I'm kind of stuck at the subpanel. The dealer recommended Siemens kit at 285.00, Lowes has a similar sounding kit by a different manufacturer for 265.00.

When I break down the components of the kit though it seems to be unreasonably high.

I was looking at Siemens breakers online and I'm trying to narrow it down, but don't know what product number I'm looking for. I've found QF250, QO250, MP250GF, MP220, QO200TR and more. Can anyone offer any tips on proper electrical requirements? Or for that manner anything else I should be careful of while preparing for the installation?

thanks from a new owner, just waiting to hop in.

Hi, we just bought an Arctic Spa Yukon Signature and now I am trying to sort out the electrical requirements. I was hoping that some of the more experienced owners could give me some guidance.

I will have an electrician do the work but I want to make sure that I get the right components. As I understand it I should have the electrician:

1.add a breaker to my main household electrical panel

2.run #6 copper wire to a subpanel (GFI protected) located between 5 and 10 feet within sight of the tub

3. run #6 copper wire to the tub

4. all the wire should be protected, perhaps by a metal sheath

I'm kind of stuck at the subpanel. The dealer recommended Siemens kit at 285.00, Lowes has a similar sounding kit by a different manufacturer for 265.00.

When I break down the components of the kit though it seems to be unreasonably high.

I was looking at Siemens breakers online and I'm trying to narrow it down, but don't know what product number I'm looking for. I've found QF250, QO250, MP250GF, MP220, QO200TR and more. Can anyone offer any tips on proper electrical requirements? Or for that manner anything else I should be careful of while preparing for the installation?

thanks from a new owner, just waiting to hop in.

Sounds to me like you are right on track. Except out by the tub it is not a sub panel that is required but a outdoor GFCI dissconect box. This box is powered by #6 wire from your main panel underground or above but in conduit either way, in the house which has a standerd 50-60 amp breaker installed. From your GFCI dissconect to the tub is also #6 wire and this can be done several ways, metal sealtite conduit, PVC, either above ground or underground, your choice. Buy the weather tight GFCI box with or without the GFCI breaker but the box has to except the breaker you choose.