Gfci Within 5' Ok With Barrier?

The NEC states:

"Disconnects must be located not less than 5 ft horizontally from the inside walls of a permanently installed pool, storable pool, outdoor spa, outdoor hot tub, or fountain, unless separated by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier."

If I want to locate the GFCI outside of my deck railing (within 5 ft. of the spa) would it be acceptable to put a solid piece of plexiglass on the inside of the deck railing to create a "permanent barrier"?? I am assuming the intent is to keep water from splashing on the disconnect? I am thinking this would accomplish this??

There are some pretty sharp people on this forum, but for a question like this, you're better off asking a local electrician or electrical inspector. You may get an answer here, that may not meet the local interpretation. Maybe that's ok with you, but maybe if you sell the house, it may be a sticky issue with the new owners and it failing some inspection.

Good luck.

The NEC states:

"Disconnects must be located not less than 5 ft horizontally from the inside walls of a permanently installed pool, storable pool, outdoor spa, outdoor hot tub, or fountain, unless separated by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier."

If I want to locate the GFCI outside of my deck railing (within 5 ft. of the spa) would it be acceptable to put a solid piece of plexiglass on the inside of the deck railing to create a "permanent barrier"?? I am assuming the intent is to keep water from splashing on the disconnect? I am thinking this would accomplish this??

The intent is to also prevent someone from being inside the hot tub and reaching over to reset the GFCI, potentially creating an electocution hazard. Your suggestion would probably work, but I don't know if it is legal? My local regulations also state that the GFCI must be in plain view, but does not say anything about being a horizontal 5 foot distance. It just says 5 ft. from the inside edge of the hot tub. Good Luck.

My Spa disconnect panel is 30' ft from tub in plain sight.......suppose to be between 5' to 20' & in plain sight.

If you are not getting it inspected, who cares...do what you want..but be safe about it ...consult a local electrician.....

If you can do the wiring yourself....you will save a bundle....

Jeff

That has passed in my area (Ventura, CA) and several surrounding cities before. I have also accomplished the same thing by a shelf attached to the spa. The local inspectors have called it a 'reach radius' and they put one end of the tape measure at the water's edge and the other end on the electrical box. If that is over five feet (going around whatever somebody would have to reach around to get to the box) then is passes.

As has been mentioned, you should check with your local municipality, or at least aske some local electricians.

B)

That has passed in my area (Ventura, CA) and several surrounding cities before. I have also accomplished the same thing by a shelf attached to the spa. The local inspectors have called it a 'reach radius' and they put one end of the tape measure at the water's edge and the other end on the electrical box. If that is over five feet (going around whatever somebody would have to reach around to get to the box) then is passes.

As has been mentioned, you should check with your local municipality, or at least aske some local electricians.

B)

Part of the intent of the code is to also be able to get to it for shut down in an emergency I believe.

The more I think about it, if I am to be worried about splashing water, what about when it rains / snows, the GFCI box I bought at Menards specifically says it is for a hot tub, they must be somewhat weather proof?

One other question the spa I think I have decided on is the Artesian Grand Cayman, in the wiring diagram it shows to pull (4) wires from inside box to GFCI (2 hot, 1 ground, 1 neutral), and shows that for a dedicated 240 V hookup you only run (3) wires from the GFCI to the tub (2 hot, 1 ground, skip the neutral), is this correct? It also says to use #6 or #8 wiring, I used #8 (roughly 10' run from the inside box to the GFCI and another 6' run out of the GFCI to the tub) and I have 238 V coming out of the GFCI currently, is this acceptable to hook up to tub?

52047529eq7.th.jpg

As Chas said, you should be ok. The intent of the code is to prevent someone that's sitting in the spa from reaching out and touching the GFCI. But, as he also says, different inspectors may interpret the code differently (many codes are open to the individual inspectors interpretation) and it's worth checking with your building department first.

Isn't it usually better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission :D

Generally speaking, this is true. But with building inspectors..... my experience is that they are some of the angriest people around. Statistics show that they tend to be former contractors that couldn't make a go of their own business. They tend to think they're god like, and HATE home owner do-it-youselfers because they're taking "food" away from their contractor friends. "Forgiveness" isn't a part of their vocabulary.

The more I think about it, if I am to be worried about splashing water, what about when it rains / snows, the GFCI box I bought at Menards specifically says it is for a hot tub, they must be somewhat weather proof?

One other question the spa I think I have decided on is the Artesian Grand Cayman, in the wiring diagram it shows to pull (4) wires from inside box to GFCI (2 hot, 1 ground, 1 neutral), and shows that for a dedicated 240 V hookup you only run (3) wires from the GFCI to the tub (2 hot, 1 ground, skip the neutral), is this correct? It also says to use #6 or #8 wiring, I used #8 (roughly 10' run from the inside box to the GFCI and another 6' run out of the GFCI to the tub) and I have 238 V coming out of the GFCI currently, is this acceptable to hook up to tub?

52047529eq7.th.jpg

Use #6 not #8 (unless this wire is THNN) on that tub when running the wire to it. 6/3 with a ground of course.