Low Pressure In Pool

Hi All,

This is my first year owning a pool. We just moved into a new house with the pool. I had pool company guy open it 2 weeks ago and everything was working fine. On Last Sunday (25th) all of sudden pool pressure dropped and water wasn't flowing as smoothly. Not knowing what to do I switched off the filter and vaccum. While trying to find out what was wrong I saw that water was leaking through backwash pipe. I replaced the ring inside multiposition valve and it fixed the problem with water leaking through backwash. But, I still have very little pressure constantly. It will surge for few seconds and go down right back in few seconds. It doesn't flow constantly. I tried to get 4-5 different pool guys to come and look at it but they are so busy no even has come. All of them are telling me that some where air is leaking. I also replaced the ring on the vessel lid for pump. Any suggestions?

Ofcourse, I did the backwash as first thing when it stopped working.

How much water do you have in the pool? Sounds to me that the surging is due to the skimmer sucking air. I dont know what type of skimmer basket you have but if it is an American Products, make sure the floating wier is not stuck in the up position. That would also cause the pump to cavitate. You can also close the skimmer line and see if that would resolve the prob. If all of that dosent work, the easiest way to tell where an air leak is, is to turn the pump off and watch closely. If there is an air leak you will see a spit of water, thats where the air leak would be. Most air leaks are in the suction male adapter, pump lid oring or valves on the suction side of the pump.

How much water do you have in the pool? Sounds to me that the surging is due to the skimmer sucking air. I dont know what type of skimmer basket you have but if it is an American Products, make sure the floating wier is not stuck in the up position. That would also cause the pump to cavitate. You can also close the skimmer line and see if that would resolve the prob. If all of that dosent work, the easiest way to tell where an air leak is, is to turn the pump off and watch closely. If there is an air leak you will see a spit of water, thats where the air leak would be. Most air leaks are in the suction male adapter, pump lid oring or valves on the suction side of the pump.

Thanks for your reply. Water is upto the lower line of tiles row. Almost to the level of skimmer inlets. Floating wier is not stuck. I will try your suggestion with the pump. One thing I also noticed was that when the pressure goes up for a minute and it starts flowing water, there are bubbles coming out of all the fittings (One like where you connect the vaccum).

Thanks for your reply. Water is upto the lower line of tiles row. Almost to the level of skimmer inlets.

The water needs to be half way up the skimmer inlets. It will stop sucking air.

You are the man!! It did the trick. I had a hunch that I should add water but for some reason didn't do it. As soon as we added some water pressure went right upto 18-19 and stayed there for about an hour I ran the pump. I will put it back on regular schedule from tomorrow morning.

Now, next question is how do I get out all the debries from bottom of the pool gathered during last week when filter was off.