Temecula, California - Would Appreciate Feedback

topnurse

We are attempting to build a modest inground pool here in Southern California. We went through this process almost 4 years ago when we first moved here but were so overwhelmed and generally confused with all the details and info that we gave up and moved on.

Well, we're gonna give it one more try! I would appreciate any referrals for pool builders/pool companies and would especially appreciate feedback on who to avoid! I know this may be sensitive to some to comment about but, hey! isn't that the puirpose of a forum? To share info!

Seriously, any help would be appreciated. If you feel more comfortable, please pm if you don't want to go public.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I'm sure I'll have more qestuions to follow.

Oh, here's one I've been thinking about: pebble-bottom or ? Is this just a matter of aesthetics?

Thanks again!

I'm also here in Temecula (French Valley actually), I can recommend a couple of guys and also recommend that you avoid Blue Haven. Are you trying to do something elaborate or did you want a simple pool? What are your goals as far as time and budget? Not that I need to know this, it's just that you should have this all in your head, as well as a good idea of what you want the area to look like when done.

We decided to do it as owner builders. I have a friend that is in the pool business who said he will help me stay on top of it, but that it is a simple thing. My situation is that I want my pool to be very custom and several pool companies told me they weren't even interested in the project (actually I had to track down the sales guys to get those responses). For what I want, if I could find someone to do the work I would be looking at well over 100K, or by going as an owner builder we are able to do the same project for about 50K. So in my mind there was not choice.

I don't know how to do a PM, so if you do you can contact me and I will respond with who I recommend. I outed Blue Haven because I have already done so here.

Thanks, Rolexor, for responding - I did PM so check your inbox. :)

Hello Everyone!

To elaborate a little from my initial post:

We have a small yard with a slope...would like a simple, modest (could be read as "not willing to spend every dime we have"! ) pool/spa, maybe a 80-90 perimeter free-form. No great need for rocks, fountains, etc. but we do like the sound of water feature and would like top somehow incorporate that if it were an affordable option. We have no kids, just want a place to relax and enjoy the day, maybe have a few friends over now and then. We're trying to keep costs down -otherwise, we won't be able to do it. So, fancy coping, lighting, flatwork, etc. is out - but, of course, we would like it to be clean and modern looking and equipment must be good - don't want to go cheap on that and just buy a bunch of headaches. Also need to get feedback on pebble - is it worth the money? And gunite v. shotcrete. And salt system. And I'm sure more will come up as we go. I know we can't have it all but we'd like to try and see what we can get. If we go for upgrades, etc, want it to be for things that are priority, not just bells and whistles. Although, I guess everyone's "priorities" do vary, right? :) I'm just trying to stay in reality!

Haven't had any bids yet - just two companies have come out so far - Pacific Coast Pools and California Pools. Someone suggested Paradise Pools so I guess I may give them a call.

Also, I looked very thoroughly on Better Business Bureau site and that helped me at least narrow down the list. I only looked at BBB members locally, found them in Temecula, Murrieta, Winchester, Stevenson Ranch,Corona..... Local companies I found were PCC Pools (AA Rating), Premier (A Rating), Universal Rock Pools, Corona (AAA Rating), West Coast (A Rating), and SC Landscape (AAA Rating). I don't know BBB politics at all so can only hope that they are reliable?

Well, thanks for any thoughts you may have. A few years ago we met with a guy (name?) who suggested we do it ourselves (he may have called it like "owner-builder" or something) - he would do the design and permits (?) and help us through the process but we would do the subbing. I can't recall what his fee would have been. We were so new to the area that we just couldn't even think of it at the time. Also, had never heard of this mode of pool building and it kind of intimidated us.

We appreciate any help, thoughts, feedback, experiences, etc. anyone may have had or are currently going through. Good luck to you all!

Thanks,

topnurse

Hi All:

Anyone have any experience with Universal Rock Pools, out of Corona, CA owned by Daniel Clark (not to be confused with Universal Pools and Spas out of San Bernardino, et al., a few similar names that have awful reputation)? CSLB#735872

I really like his work, he has a good BBB rating, still waiting for his bid but I thought I would ask - never can have too much info going in to this, right?

Thansk!

topnurse

temecula, ca

DO NOT go with Sea Breeze Pools in Murrieta (off of Kalmia), unless you don't mind delay after delay. In the long run you may end up with a spectacular pool, but believe me, it is a LONG run!!

We are not getting a large pool with all the bells and whistles. We're getting a modest sized, pool only, no spa, no waterfalls, no nothing. Not even heating. When we signed the contract we were told it would likely only take six weeks.

They were supposed to start our dig on May 22nd, with a completion date of July 24th. They didn't actually start until May 31st. Taking into consideration the 9 day delay in starting, you'd think our completion date would be August 4th (9 days after the original contract completion date). But here it is, July 24th and they're telling us that our start date was June 3rd (NO, it WASN'T!! It was on May 31st!!!) and they're saying that our completion date is going to be some time in middle to late August.

They do one part of the job and then do NOTHING for about two weeks. They don't call every Friday to give us an update like they told us they'd be doing. They also do NOT return phone calls half the time. They most likely have overbooked themselves, and that is not a good thing for obvious reasons. It takes away GREATLY from customer service relations. In hindsight, I'd go with one of the companies that only do so many pools a year, rather than trying to line their pockets with as many jobs as they can get.

We truly feel we are being jerked around by these people, they couldn't care less about us and doing a good job in a timely matter. All they care about is our money. They've NEVER once been late to pick up a payment!

At this point in time, we wish we had gone with another company. We didn't want any bad feelings about having our pool built, had hoped for a wonderful experience (who wouldn't), but having a project move along this slowly and this far behind schedule IS NOT a good experience.

Sorry I can't give you a positive to go by, but I know it's just as important to know who to stay away from.

Edit 7/29/06: They came today and did some work, one box of tile was wrong though so who knows how long that will now delay the pool. Also, they were supposed to frame some extra area for us for more concrete, and add an electrical outlet in the back right corner. Neither of which were done. We don't trust ANYTHING these people say.

DO NOT go with Sea Breeze Pools in Murrieta (off of Kalmia), unless you don't mind delay after delay. In the long run you may end up with a spectacular pool, but believe me, it is a LONG run!!

Here ya go, Luv.....check out your company. Like I said earlier, BBB is at least one resource for us. And I found out that I was able to telephone them, actually spoke with a human being who was willing to read to me all of the complaints, not just the vague categories, but the details of the problems.

Here's Sea Breeze Pools, Murrieta:

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business...3031768&sm=

Good Luck - hope it's finished soon and works out for you,

topnurse

You know, we actually checked everyone out by BBB before we even had them come to give estimates? Sea Breeze was the lowest rated, at a B, but we thought we'd give them a chance due to others who had given us good recommendations, so we had them out for an estimate. We had out five different companies, and honestly the Sea Breeze guy was the one we liked best. They weren't by any means the cheapest, but we liked the guy and felt he was being honest with us. We did everything you're supposed to do when hiring a pool company, we did so much research into everything it was crazy. But in the end we still made a bad decision. Go figure.

I can't say it enough, be extremely cautious in every part of the decision making! I feel like such an idiot now for going with these people. :wacko:

..... We did everything you're supposed to do when hiring a pool company, we did so much research into everything it was crazy. But in the end we still made a bad decision. Go figure.

I can't say it enough, be extremely cautious in every part of the decision making! I feel like such an idiot now for going with these people.

Hey, Luv, you did the leg work, like you said. There are no guarantees. BBB can be a help, but it's only as good as the public is good at reporting. I haven't signed my contract yet - I'm trying to be diligent and work out all beforehand but you never know. I am being crazy-researcher as well! What an experience, huh? Hopefully, you'll get completed soon and will enjoy your pool and it will become a distant memory.

Needless to say, hold back that last $$$ until every single last detail, problem, concern, etc. is 100% fini!

Oh, by the way, you will be making a report to BBB when all is said and done, right???????

Best of luck,

Topnurse

Oh, by the way, you will be making a report to BBB when all is said and done, right???????

Best of luck,

Topnurse

Yes, most definitely! They're also members of Aquatech, which was another reason we hired them thinking we'd get a good job done in a timely manner. I have written down everything since day one. BBB, Aquatech and maybe even Sea Breeze themselves will be getting a copy of it. Super crazy about things, I've written everything in journal format, calendar format and am also planning on making a list when all is said and done. There will be two columns; "How long they said it'd take" vs. "How long it actually took".

Here we are on August 3rd, tile & coping still hasn't been finished a week after it began, even though they told us Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest. We even had the super tell us yesterday morning that the tile & coping guys will be showing up "any minute now".

I am so incredibly frustrated and stressed out over the whole deal. It's crazy.

I hope you don't end up having this same kind of experience! I know others have had worse, and most of the time I try hard to hang onto my sanity. But, it shouldn't be this way for anyone. :wacko:

Anyway, thanks for listening to me vent my frustrations! Wish I could be of better help. Keep in touch, let me know who you go with in the end, and how it all goes. Sure would be nice to hear of some good pool building stories!

• 2 weeks later...

Much to our surprise, we are now done with our pool. Here at the end of things they really stepped up the pace! They plastered it and it is now filling with water!!! YAY! The only things that are left to do now are yard cleanup and the start up guy is going to be coming by to get things going. Approximately two weeks from now they're supposed to come and put in the mastic (spelling?) and put in our salt water system.

I hope they really do put in the salt water system like they said they would; the binder they gave us has the manual for the Dichlor watermatic we were originally going to have installed, so I am a bit concerned. We were told in the beginning that if we wanted to switch to the SWG we could at no additional charge, since we were already paying $1600 for the Dichlor system. We have paid for everything in full now, and I'm hoping that they won't neglect to do the things they said they'd do for us just because they've now received all their monies. :blink:

• 2 months later...

We are attempting to build a modest inground pool here in Southern California. We went through this process almost 4 years ago when we first moved here but were so overwhelmed and generally confused with all the details and info that we gave up and moved on.

Well, we're gonna give it one more try! I would appreciate any referrals for pool builders/pool companies and would especially appreciate feedback on who to avoid! I know this may be sensitive to some to comment about but, hey! isn't that the puirpose of a forum? To share info!

Seriously, any help would be appreciated. If you feel more comfortable, please pm if you don't want to go public.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I'm sure I'll have more qestuions to follow.

Oh, here's one I've been thinking about: pebble-bottom or ? Is this just a matter of aesthetics?

Thanks again!

I would highly recomend Hallmark pools I worked for them when I lived out there. I have been in the pool industry for 23 yrs and they will do a great job. When you call ask for Berta Harrison she will point you in the right direction. Hows Texas Lil's I live in Texas now.

• 1 month later...

topnurse, you are probably done by now, but if not, here are my thoughts…It sounds like you are doing all of your homework. There is a lot of good information on California’s Contractor State License Board website (http://www.cslb.ca.gov/), including “Before You Dive Into Swimming Pool Construction...” publication. After talking to a couple of larger pool contractors, I ended up using a small company (Titan Pool in Anaheim) because of strong personal recommendations.

If you have not yet done so, check your local library for books on the subject of building a pool. I have a short review of two books on my blog (noted below) and I have not yet gotten around to reviewing “The Swimming Pool” which is another book I like that is geared towards new pool construction.

• 1 month later...

Hi All:

Anyone have any experience with Universal Rock Pools, out of Corona, CA owned by Daniel Clark (not to be confused with Universal Pools and Spas out of San Bernardino, et al., a few similar names that have awful reputation)? CSLB#735872

I really like his work, he has a good BBB rating, still waiting for his bid but I thought I would ask - never can have too much info going in to this, right?

Thansk!

topnurse

temecula, ca

Hi topnurse,

I know Dan personaly he a great person and a great pool contractor, Does great rock work around pools and spas. can't go wrong with Universal rock pools. Here's a few pictures of one of Dan's jobs.

http://www.swimming-pool-secrets-revealed.com/photo6.jpg

http://www.swimming-pool-secrets-revealed.com/photo7.jpg

http://www.swimming-pool-secrets-revealed.com/photo8.jpg

http://www.swimming-pool-secrets-revealed.com/photo9.jpg

Blake Melancon

swimming-pool-secrets-revealed.com