How Is Hot Springs Grandee, I Am Looking At A Used Model, 2004 For $5000

Rob k

It's a top-notch brand -- one of the tops. You never hear bad things too often, and when you do it's people complaining of how Hot Springs Dealers brag that they're the best brand! :D They are (I believe) the #1 selling brand, and I think everyone has to rank them in the list of the top tubs. Get in it and try it out. If you like it, you can't go wrong with Hot Spring.

thanks, do you think 5000 is too much for a used 2004 model??

I was looking at a used spa recently. Some of the things are easy to compare, others aren't. You need to go look at a new one and figure out the price.

Probably for both new & used, these things are equal:

- cost to get the electrical work done

- cost to get the pad (concrete, wood deck, etc) done

Then, you need to figure out the cost of the used one:

- tub cost

- cost to move it

- does it have items that the dealer usually includes in a "package", if not, add to the cost:

=== cover (is it worn and needs to be replaced soon)

=== lift

=== steps

=== chemicals (dealers usually include some starter package)

=== brand new filter

=== pillows are another item that you may need to replace if its 4 years old

You need to figure the cost of the new one

- tub cost (probably incudes tub, delivery, cover, lift, steps and chemical start-up kit).

Now it gets tricky ... the new tub will have a warranty. Probably a nice one. And, the used one probably does NOT have any warranty, most tub warranties are non-trasferrable. So, there may be a cost factor to consider. If nothing else, there is a "risk" factor. If the used tub has leaks and problems, its out of your pocket to repair.

You also need to consider these things with the used one:

- is the interior and exterior color what you'd order ? maybe not a big deal, but for the one I looked at, it was near the bottom of my list.

- are there features in the new tub that you need to adjust for when comparing to the 4 year old one ...

=== newer/better generation of jets,

=== newer style of pumps,

=== newer lighting

=== etc

For me, I was looking at an early 2004 tub vs a 2008. When I considered the whole package and what I'd have, I didn't feel the amount of money saved justified going with the used tub. But, that was my specific deal and considering the above factors (there may have been a few others that I don't recall just now as well).

If you are buying from a dealer who will deliver it - and be there if issues arise - that is not a bad price.

I would expect a good cover at that price.

B)

• 3 weeks later...
does anyone have an opinion on the hot springs brand??

We have a 95' Grandee (purchased new), and have always been happy with it. I have two sisters who have purchased Hot Springs spas used and are satisfied. You should be able to call your local dealer (we can) and give them the address of the current owner to obtain the service records on your potential purchase. At some point after the 5 year warranty ran out, I decided that I could service it myself, and have had good luck replacing heaters, limiter switches, pumps, etc. myself......my hubby just laughs and rolls his eyes when I start dismantling things, but hey!...it's not rocket science. The used Hot Springs spas are usually scooped up because they are so durable and reliable. Value?........what ever you are willing to pay for it. The new ones cost as much a small car, so I would go look at it.....take a "test soak", then make an offer. Good Luck!

We bought a 07 Grandee (Floormodel) in March of this year. So far, very happy with the tub. Paid $7K including upgraded cover lifter, steps, disconnect box, delivery, etc. Based on this, $5K seems a little high to me.

I agree that $5k is high for the used one but you definteily got a great deal on yours, even with it being a floor model. Congrats.