In Ground Vinyl Liner Pool Installed In 1971 ?'s

chisca

Our in ground pool was installed in 1971. We've owned the pool for 3 years. My question is about the coping. I've never seen coping like this. It appears to be steel, which is painted white yearly. Some of the coping had begun to rust and flake, and when getting our liner replaced, we inquired about how to repair it. The standard answer from all pool companies we got was "you guys are the only people in this city with this type of pool". To replace the coping was going to cost $13000 while pouring a new concrete deck, although ours is fairly new. Another co. suggested TruTile, which we couldn't use because of the location of our skimmer. In the end, we removed the damaged pieces of steel, had them fabricated to length and width of aluminum at a metal shop, and installed them ourselves. It appears to have worked great, according to the pool companies that have been back out. Has anyone seen this type of pool before? I have googled myself silly, and can't find any info. The local pool companies can't tell me anything either, only that they don't make pools like this anymore. Other than cosmetics, such as the piece or two that we replaced, and the old liner, we've had absolutely no problems with this pool. I am attaching a picture of one of the sides of the pool. I hope you can see what I'm describing. Those white strips of steel are flush with the edge of the concrete. There is no over hang. This was last summer, pre liner replacement, pre coping replacement. Currently, our old liner is in pieces in our pool as we wait the delivery of the new one. What kind of pool IS this?100.jpg

Our in ground pool was installed in 1971. We've owned the pool for 3 years. My question is about the coping. I've never seen coping like this. It appears to be steel, which is painted white yearly. Some of the coping had begun to rust and flake, and when getting our liner replaced, we inquired about how to repair it. The standard answer from all pool companies we got was "you guys are the only people in this city with this type of pool". To replace the coping was going to cost $13000 while pouring a new concrete deck, although ours is fairly new. Another co. suggested TruTile, which we couldn't use because of the location of our skimmer. In the end, we removed the damaged pieces of steel, had them fabricated to length and width of aluminum at a metal shop, and installed them ourselves. It appears to have worked great, according to the pool companies that have been back out. Has anyone seen this type of pool before? I have googled myself silly, and can't find any info. The local pool companies can't tell me anything either, only that they don't make pools like this anymore. Other than cosmetics, such as the piece or two that we replaced, and the old liner, we've had absolutely no problems with this pool. I am attaching a picture of one of the sides of the pool. I hope you can see what I'm describing. Those white strips of steel are flush with the edge of the concrete. There is no over hang. This was last summer, pre liner replacement, pre coping replacement. Currently, our old liner is in pieces in our pool as we wait the delivery of the new one. What kind of pool IS this?100.jpg

you could re-seal it and paint mosaic tiles. Look at it like this you get the exact tile you want even if it isn't avavilable.

Never seen coping like that... wonder if it was a signature install by builder or a litle used kit that was discontinued, or manufactured by a now-defunct company. That is really something. But kudos on the successful repairs!

Hi,

I am in Buffalo, NY and have the exact, SAME coping that you do - my pool (I am told by the installer when I called them) is from 1974. From what I have read about their pools, and from what I can gather from looking at the coping, it is stainless steel. Currently, my coping is quite rusted and pitted although I have begun the process of painting it with Rustoleum; it appears as though you have been painting yours, which I think is just fine. I have ideas as to why it is so rusted, but I won't go into that now. In any case, my coping holds my older liner just fine and I suspect yours does too. So, when you are ready to replace your current liner, you will probably be able to sandblast or sand down the coping to a point of it being just like new. I wouldn't event think about replacing it since it will probably hold up well overall and keep any new, replacement liners in place for a long, long time to come providing you choose the right bead on the liner.

Thanks everybody for the replies. This pool HAS held up exceptionally well for 37 years, with mostly minor repairs. For now, we will just continue to repair the coping as needed. Just curious gvreo, who installed your pool? We live in Memphis, but I haven't had much luck on tracking down the original builder here. I'm just curious about the construction, etc. Like I said, I haven't been able to find much information about these types of pools. Again, thanks everybody for the replies.

Thanks everybody for the replies. This pool HAS held up exceptionally well for 37 years, with mostly minor repairs. For now, we will just continue to repair the coping as needed. Just curious gvreo, who installed your pool? We live in Memphis, but I haven't had much luck on tracking down the original builder here. I'm just curious about the construction, etc. Like I said, I haven't been able to find much information about these types of pools. Again, thanks everybody for the replies.

My pool was installed by Majestic Pools, a local company. I suspect they used state of the art material for the time. I guess there reason why these pools hold up well is because they were so well constructed. Mine is a concrete bottom and 4 foot stainless steel walls that support the decking. I am told that the pool can be competely drained without a problem since adding the water is the last thing they do. Of course, draining with a vinyl liner can be problematic unless you are replacing it. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Never seen coping like that... wonder if it was a signature install by builder or a litle used kit that was discontinued, or manufactured by a now-defunct company. That is really something. But kudos on the successful repairs!

I have nearly EXACT same coping & mine was installed in 1983-84 ish. We have only owned the house for less then 2 years. In addition we are having the same problem with rust, peeling pain, etc. Looks horrible. Does its job but not sure for how much longer it will....

My pool guy is going to take a better look at it b/c we are having the same problems, but off the top of his head, he mentioned topping it with fiberglass. Does your pool's coping hold the track for the vinyl lining as well?