Discovery 400 Nlxe @ Costco

d3lta

I personally would never buy a spa from Costco. I buy just about everything else there. Hot tubs break down and you won't have any dealer support. You might be able to get some replacement parts mailed to you but you will end up being the spa technician. Search around here a bit and you will find out how it works. If you must buy from Costc spend a few extra hundred dollars and get a real spa.

Highlife

I actually have almost the exact same tub but I got it from Sams. Keys Backyard makes this tub for a bunch of stores. So far I am very happy with my tub. I think if you cant go any higher than 4,500 this tub could be a smart choice. I think you just have to go into it with your eyes open. These tubs are not as well build as some of the more expensive ones and you dont have a local store you can go to for advice or repairs. So far I've had one problem with a pump and after calling the support number a tech was sent out with a replacement part in 3 days. I have no idea if this is typical responce time or not. The other negative I would mention with these tubs is the insulation isn't very good on them and you can expect to pay and extra 20-50 dollars a month during winter if you live in a cold climate. I have several freinds and family with higher end tubs and they pay about 20-30 a month extra for electric for the tub and mine was in the 55-70 range. Electric bill is much less in summer. I am going to get a better cover this fall to see if it helps.

My advice to you would be visit as many spa dealers as you can and try to get as much info as you can, there are a lot of options out there. Figure out what is important to you and try to ignore a lot of the marketing/sales crap.

One thing I will say about the highlife from costco is I would figure in the cost of the upgrade from 120 to 240 volts in the final price. If you live in a cold climate you will probably want this as a 120 volt spa you cant run the heat and pumps at the same time. As I learned last weekend this is no good.

If you have any specific questions about the hot tub please fell free to ask.

good luck

mark

• 3 months later...

I personally would never buy a spa from Costco. I buy just about everything else there. Hot tubs break down and you won't have any dealer support. You might be able to get some replacement parts mailed to you but you will end up being the spa technician. Search around here a bit and you will find out how it works. If you must buy from Costc spend a few extra hundred dollars and get a real spa.

Highlife

A real spa? it is a realspa and in his price range. you suggested something he can't afford why didnt you suggest a mercedes as well. As to support? Keys backyard has a established network of servicemen same as the big brands. when the spa breaks down he calls the sevice department, one number! I have never seen a salesman go on a service call to repair a spa. Why would you call your salesman to have him tell you "hold please" or "let me get the phone number for you" Times change and so does the way people do bussiness.

Costco has 2 spa lines, as best as I can tell. There is the Highlife from Hotsprings and the Discovery line which is made by key's backyard.

Anyone have a key's from costco? How are they performing?

Costco has several lines of spas.

The website brands - available only at Costco.com - and the ones they sell in-store. The in-store tubs vary by region and by season.

B)

are you refering to a real spa like this ? :o

I'm going to call the dealer about this, but I'm curious if it's a common problem and what it might be. We've had our Vita Spa for a year now, and I recently noticed a bunch of little "bubbles" or bumps in the surface under the water by one of the seats. Is that something to worry about? I don't think they were there before because they're in a spot where they would have been noticable to feel, i.e. near the foot jets in the lounger.

or more like this? :blink:

"After much research, we bought a Hot Springs Vanguard in April 2006. Six months later I can look back and evaluate. Delivery and installation was very professional. The price was higher than some "comparable models" but I can honestly say it was worth every penny. There have been 2 minor problems with switch seals, which simply required a phone call to our dealer who sent his technician right out to fix. We have also called them numerous times with general questions, which they gladly answer. They even came out just to check our water for us.

Just to put things in perspectve as a premium tub. Geeze :ph34r::ph34r: .

or like this great quality tub......

I bought an LA spa in May 06 and did not notice before but right now i have about 6 jets that are not rotating. these are removable jets and I have tried them in a different place and they still do not rotate. I use different products in my spa like fragrances but only ones made for the spa. I removed one of the jets and instead of an easy rotation it is clicking when you try to move it. My dealer is looking into this and said they have never had this problem. These jets have a ball baring design. I do notice that my water hardness when tested is always low. otherwise i keep my chemicals in balance since i have owned a spa for over 20 years. I don't know if these jets did not work when i got the tub I only really noticed it about a month ago. Is there a way to clean the jets or should i just return them for replacement. the water flow to the removed jet is working fine.

again to prove my point people here are quick to dismiss these issues "IF" they happen on a "quality" spa yet when it happens to be a Hydrospa ie.....Costco Elite spa he whoaaaaah :huh: Return it! shoot it! give it away! is a few of the snide comments along with the"good luck, your going to need it" response. Just some thing to remember when you hear people say bad things about yor purchase of a Hydrospa. I know for a fact had that been the issue with the Hydrospa that customer service would have sent replacement jets and offerd to send a tech if the customer wanted. People woul feel offended if I told this owner of a LA spa to return it or good luck on your purchase! I think thats unfounded and non productive. that's why I am quick to respond to those type of post. I personaly think LA spa is a good quality spa as well as the Hotsprings and the Vita Spa!

• 3 weeks later...