Arctic Tundra Ultra Or Emerald M870?

This is my first post. I have been reading and digesting information for awhile now. Here is my dilemma. After researching and researching doing some wet testing and more wet testing I have come to a crossroads and am looking for some input.

What I have done so far:

Visited and spoken to local dealers of: Marquis, Hot Springs, D1, Cal Spas, Catalina, Islander, Caldera, Vita Spa, Arctic Spa, Nordic, Coast, and a bunch of other names not normally mentioned here or on other boards like Shoreline for example. I have looked inside and out at all of these and can now easily identify a poorly constructed spa versus one that has some "beef" along with a few key ingredients and common sense engineering added to them. I can now spot the "dogs" without even removing a service cover (if it is even possible on some as you need a toolbag and lots of ambition to get at the innards on some of these beasties.

My short list of Wet Testing:

I wet tested a Bullfrog 682. Liked the tub build overall but I am 6'1" tall and want something deeper. My knees were bent when sitting in a normal seated position. If I were to stretch out my legs in this one I would be taking up more than my fare share of the foot-well making this tub a 4 adult seater at best. Floor model pricing in my area was pretty attractive for what I would call a nice quality made tub. The dealer was excellent and not pushy at all. Local independent tub servicers recommended Bullfrog and a local dealer.

I wet tested a Cal Spa A857B. This was a Consumers Digest "Best Buy" tub and I have to agree that this was a very comfortable spa. Nice and deep with ample seating for 6 adults with a very big foot-well. Not much therapy action on this one though. The Bullfrog beat it handily in this area. Only thing bad I can say about this spa is it is "way overpriced for what you get. Normal sale price was quoted at $10K. They had a floor model going for $8,600 and when asked about negotiations they flatly said no-way at that price. I also quizzed them about service and they were dodgy. They did finally divulge the cost of a replacement motor - $750. Pretty expensive if you ask me. I also had an ace up my sleeve before walking in. A neighbor had recently purchased a spa and was pretty disapointed that the high school delivery team basically dropped the spa on his patio and waved as they drove off. Not much for service after he dropped over $13k on a new tub purchase.

I wet tested an Arctic Summit. Nicely constructed and I like the quality in these tubs. Serviceability looks nice. Not much in the area for references and the closest dealer is a ways away from me. This tub was also too short for me. None of the captains chairs fit comfortably for such a deep and large tub. The Tundra Ultra is on my short list as I like this configuration but was unable to wet test as the dealer did not have one on the floor and is waiting on the 08's.

This post is long enough but here is where I get to my question. I have narrowed it down to either the Arctic Tundra Ultra or an Emerald M870. Why the Emerald you ask? Because my neighbors have had an Emerald for 9 years and love it. It is not the M870 but I wet tested theirs and it was a great tub. Great therapy and the seats were comfortable and logically arranged. The M870 is a similar layout as the Tundra but provides 1 extra seat. The bummer with this is my local dealer who is my Pool builder does not sell them anymore. He has dropped out of the spa game after many, many years of frustration with any and all spa manufacturers he has dealt with. He has been building pools in my area for over 30 years. He has nothing really bad to say about Emerald other than he just does not want to deal with spa's anymore.

The Arctic Tundra Ultra is $2K more than the the fully loaded Emerald M870. The arctic is minus ozone and a years supply of chemicals but does include delivery and setup. The Emerald will come with everything offered including the kitchen sink. I would be working directly with the local servicing company for Emerald spas. I know everyone here will say wet test them before buying but this will be impossible for the Emerald. I will also have to wait at least 2 months before I would have an opp. to wet test the Tundra. My wife is tired of shopping and wants to order a spa now.

Any and all input would be appreciated. Sorry for the length of this post but hopefully some of my info will help others.

Best Regards,

JD

I would also like to add that I kept floating out of the Arctic Summit and the jet action on this tub was not as powerful as the Bullfrog. Even though that rather shallow froggy was just not layed out correctly for my purposes it offered a very nice massage compared to the Summit Ultra (with all motors and jets operating). I hated having to keep pushing myself back into the seats of the Summit. Are all Arctic's like this?

Thanks again for any input you may have to offer me,

JD

Go with the Emerald then. In a sense, you've already wet tested something like it at your friend's house.

But, as I'm sure you're aware, the only way to be sure on this is to go wet test them both, even if you have to travel a long way to do it. Spend the gas money, it'll look like nothing in nine years. ;)

Go with the Emerald then. In a sense, you've already wet tested something like it at your friend's house.

But, as I'm sure you're aware, the only way to be sure on this is to go wet test them both, even if you have to travel a long way to do it. Spend the gas money, it'll look like nothing in nine years. ;)

Thanks for the advice. I am still working on a wet test of the Tudra. I may just have to delay the wife a bit to make sure we get the best option.

Thanks,

JD

I would also like to add that I kept floating out of the Arctic Summit and the jet action on this tub was not as powerful as the Bullfrog. Even though that rather shallow froggy was just not layed out correctly for my purposes it offered a very nice massage compared to the Summit Ultra (with all motors and jets operating). I hated having to keep pushing myself back into the seats of the Summit. Are all Arctic's like this?

There is quite a difference between the Tundra and the Summit. If you're looking at 2007 models, the Tundra is deeper by 3"*. It has been a favorite for taller users since its introduction in 2003, and won an Autodesk International Design Award. For 2008, the Summit seats have been widened and deepened. With more room for water to flow around your body, this might reduce your tendency to float. Both models will have the new above-water neck/shoulder jets and optional Onzen sanitation system for 2008.

If you have a chance, try a Kodiak, another favorite for taller folks. It has a larger footwell than the Summit, and more open seating, including a lounger, which some people like.

I suspect that if you float in the Summit with its contoured seats and armrests, you might float in the deeper spas of any brand. This is why we advise a wet test whenever possible.

Happy spa hunting

Tom

* Per the 2007 product release sheet, thought I see in the 2007 brochure that both are 39" deep.

Tom,

Thanks for the feedback. I am really interested more in the seating arrangement of the Tundra and the M870 as I have found that neither myself nor my wife are into loungers. We both much prefer the captain's chairs. One thing that I am having problems with is determining how deep the footwell is in the Tundra. I have asked my dealer for some spec's but without a tub to measure they do not have them.

I also have a question regarding the ozone systems. Which is better Arctic Ozone or Peak Ozone. My dealer is not sure about the new Onzen system due to lack of information from the factory as well as the fact that the warranty on the new Onzen system is only 1 year. That is not much of a warranty if you ask me. The dealer says he would not recommend it at this time until the new system is proven and/or the warrany provided extends.

Thanks for all of the input,

JD

One thing that I am having problems with is determining how deep the footwell is in the Tundra. I have asked my dealer for some spec's but without a tub to measure they do not have them.

According to the CAD diagram, the footwell depth is just under 33" from the lip (plus a 3" windlip), and 30" from the recommended water fill line.

I also have a question regarding the ozone systems. Which is better Arctic Ozone or Peak Ozone.

They're both good, but Peak has a higher output and is a beefier system. Onzen has an ozone output close to the Peak system and adds the saline and silver ion sanitation.

My dealer is not sure about the new Onzen system due to lack of information from the factory as well as the fact that the warranty on the new Onzen system is only 1 year.

The warranty is for 2 years. Please have your dealer contact me and I will provide whatever additional information he requires.

The dealer says he would not recommend it at this time until the new system is proven and/or the warrany provided extends.

Some people like getting 'cutting edge' technology while others prefer a 'wait and see' approach. You have to do what is most comfortable for you. I will provide further information about Onzen in a PM.

Tom,

I really appreciate all of the information you have provided. After considering all of the options and comparing the build quality I have decided to place an order for the Tundra. I really like the fact that all parts of the tub are accessible for servicing. I have been informed that my tub is slated for production on May 12th and the dealer should have it by the end of the month. I will post a follow-up regarding my experience.

Thanks again,

JD

Tom,

I really appreciate all of the information you have provided. After considering all of the options and comparing the build quality I have decided to place an order for the Tundra. I really like the fact that all parts of the tub are accessible for servicing. I have been informed that my tub is slated for production on May 12th and the dealer should have it by the end of the month. I will post a follow-up regarding my experience.

Thanks again,

JD

Congrats on the purchase JD. You're gonna love the Tundra. Great choice!!!!

Tom,

Thanks again,

JD

Congrats on the purchase JD. You're gonna love the Tundra. Great choice!!!!

Thanks Water Boy,

I have owned (and maintained) 2 different in-ground pools over the last 19 years and held the wife at bay on adding a hot tub. I finally gave in as this was "all she wanted" for a 20 year anniversary gift. There was no way I could delay any longer. She deserves it. Now that it is on order I have to admit that I am as excited as she is to be getting it. 4 weeks seems like a long way off at this point. I will post back with my impressions.

Regards,

JD

I also have a question regarding the ozone systems. My dealer is not sure about the new Onzen system due to lack of information from the factory as well as the fact that the warranty on the new Onzen system is only 1 year.

The Onzen system has a 2 year warranty.

Due to high demand (90% of spas ordered request Onzen), we have had to use parts slated for retrofit to meet production requirements.

I regret to announce that we do not have a date for the retrofit kits. Late summer or early fall looks like the earliest time these kits may be available to retrofit to older Arctic Spas.

• 4 weeks later...

To anyone interested,

I just took delivery of my 2008 Arctic Tundra Ultra. The delivery went very smoothly and I have to say that Midwest Water Supply of Dundas, MN is excellent. They have provided a top notch buying experience as well as after sale communication and delivery. The family just completed the first soak and it was awesome. This tub provides everything we were looking for - great build quality, excellent therapy action and room for the entire family. The wife was the primary motivator for making this purchase and was all smiles:)

I will keep you posted on our experience with the tub as we move forward but I will have to warn you that I may not be spending much time at the keyboard over the next few months!

Take care and happy tubbing,

JD

I also have a question regarding the ozone systems. Which is better Arctic Ozone or Peak Ozone.

They're both good, but Peak has a higher output and is a beefier system. Onzen has an ozone output close to the Peak system and adds the saline and silver ion sanitation.

Tom,

I was under the impression from my dealer that Peak Ozone is no longer available. My understanding was that it was available on 07 tubs but not the 08 tubs. Can you confrim?

FYI I too am frustrated by my lack of dealer knowledge on the "new" Onzen system. His words were "you know more than I do" when I showed him the press release from the Arctic website.

Either way can you confirm what water treatments are available? Peak Ozone? Arctic Ozone? or Onzen?

Thanks,

Budge

JD--

COngrats on your new oversized hot water heater!!! I, like your wife, was getting impatient about waiting to wet test a Tundra. My hubby is 6' 2 1/2" tall and we are waiting for our dealer to get a TUndra in to wet test. I am patient now, remembering that if I haven't bought it, I'm not paying for it!! :D:D:rolleyes:

Budge--wish you well with your dealer. I have a great dealer here in PA, but at this point, I have done so much research, I could probably school them on the tubs!!!

I'll post when we decide/buy.

T-N-C