Bromine Concentrate, Nonchlorine Shock Or Both

sagemurphy

We drained our tub on saturday, added bromine bank and planned to use floater, Spa dealer said bromine floater is very irritating to skin and we should just add bromine as needed to maintain levels, He said "less is more" in hot tubs. So does this sound reasonable. Or should I just be adding Nonchlorine shock only or both. Also we are getting a faint white ring around water line (on black tub) what is this from and how can I get rid or avoid getting this?

We drained our tub on saturday, added bromine bank and planned to use floater, Spa dealer said bromine floater is very irritating to skin and we should just add bromine as needed to maintain levels, He said "less is more" in hot tubs. So does this sound reasonable. Or should I just be adding Nonchlorine shock only or both. Also we are getting a faint white ring around water line (on black tub) what is this from and how can I get rid or avoid getting this?

First, I don't know why a bromine floater would be more irritating than bromine concentrate. Both chemicals are a mix of bromine and chlorine, although some brands of tabs have different foams of chlorine. Our brand of tabs does not have dichlor, but the concentrate does. HTH brand(walmart, ect) has dichlor in the tabs. Either way you need to keep the bromine levels up via the concentrate or tabs. Less is more, but I dont understand how throwing in bromine concentrate is "less", no matter what you have to put enough in to keep your levels up. Maybe I am missing something.... I find tabs easier since they are consistantly putting bromine in the water. When you shock with non chlorine shock, you are oxidizing the contaniments in the water and "reestablishing" the bromine. Bromine is kind of neat that way. The white ring could be a number of things, is it slimy feeling? If so, it is a build up of body oils, sweat, soap ect. You can use an enzyme product to help remove this or a clarifier. The non chlorine shock should also help with this.