Catalina/caribbean Cobalt Cracks

T5inthe12

hi all i'm new here and joined to find some info on cobalt. my parents own an older catalina model cs-3. we are in a remote location in the so. cal. desert. they take good care of it and keep it covered. in the last year or so hairline cracks have developed that turn black. no matter how many times the black is wiped off it reappears. it has an oily feel to it. thinking it was algae, i asked a guy at the pool store. he stated that cobalt was used in the manufacturing process in those days and to wipe it off and use clear nail polish to make it stop. doesn't work well. my ouestions for you more experienced here are: is it in fact cobalt, if so can it be stopped or covered, is it unhealthy, will it ever stop oozing out of the cracks. appearence is not as important as function so if it isn't harmful it might not be a problem after all. i was surprised to find this a rare thing while searching the forums. any info wld be appreciated. th

anx

The black substance you speak of is the broken down catalyst that helps bond the acrylic and the fibreglass. Those must be some pretty deep cracks if catalyst is coming out. It can be repaired but I dont think it would be worth it. Since there is now water getting behind the acrylic it can be just sealed up thats why it keeps oozing out. Some of the more seasoned guys on the board may have a solution for you but IMO the shell's going to be garbage.

What's the surface material and how extensive are the cracks? There are repair kits.

Since appearance is unimportant to you though, I'd just gelcoat or epoxy it and forget about it. Do a neat job and nobody else will even notice. Keep in mind the shell will probably just develop another hairline crack somewhere else.

Actually, if it isn't leaking, I'd just forget about it.

• 1 year later...

The bible of Caribbean dive-travel. I highly recommend it." -- Chris Lofting, The Travel Show, WOR Network Radio

"When I'm thinking about where to go diving next, I always thumb through this gem... It's a trustworthy publication." -- In Depth/Undercurrent Magazine

Includes the latest and best dive and snorkel sites, each rated for visual excellence and marine life. The author's knowledge of the Caribbean sites is unparalleled. From sunken planes and snorkel trails to blue holes, the best destinations beneath the waves are covered. Covers Anguilla, Antigua, Barbados, Belize, Bonaire, the US and British Virgin Islands, the Caymans, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, 646-204 braindumps

Jamaica, Puerto Rico, St Kitts, St Lucia, St Vincent & the Grenadines, and Tobago.

"I have bought both editions of this book, mostly because the first edition got so dog-eared that I wanted a clean one for vacation last year. The book is a marvelous source of information for both the snorkeler and the diver. The authors divide the book into chapters on individual islands, HP0-A01 braindumps starting out with a brief but interesting history of the island, a topographical description, relative location map, best time to go, weather, and proximity to other islands. They then rate the island's diving locations, awarding from 1 to 5 stars, and provide another larger map visually locating the sites. Each site is described in detail, with info on depth, sea life, currents, visibility, photo ops and difficulty level. As if that weren't enough, they include some (but not enough!) beautiful photos, and end each chapter with yet more info on dive operators (detailed), beaches, other activities, dining, accommodations (with rates, addresses and phone numbers), medical facilities, 000-206 braindumps documentation requirements, currency, driving, local customs, departure taxes, etc. I've been exploring the Caribbean for almost a decade now; I take this compact book with me everywhere. My only complaint: I wish they covered more islands!