In Ground Spa Needs Blower

Clayton

I'm dealing with an in ground spa that, according to inspection has had the blower/bubbler removed. This is an older unit and all I see is a pool pump/motor, a de filter, an air inlet sticking out of the ground, a gfi and an old massive and quite possibly disco era heater. I want to get this thing working, and maybe even have an understanding of it all. Any ideas on cost? Please pool gurus, help me.....

I'm dealing with an in ground spa that, according to inspection has had the blower/bubbler removed. This is an older unit and all I see is a pool pump/motor, a de filter, an air inlet sticking out of the ground, a gfi and an old massive and quite possibly disco era heater. I want to get this thing working, and maybe even have an understanding of it all. Any ideas on cost? Please pool gurus, help me.....

A picture of your equipment pad would be helpful in pointing you to the right direction and setting your expectations correctly. General geographic would help too.

It is hard to say without more information. Is the air inlet line at the equipment? Hidden in the bushes?

Not all spas require a blower. Most spa jets use a venturi effect to pull the air through along with the water and will get air even without a blower. A blower will likely make MORE bubbles, but depending on the jets it may be too much. Of course, it may be a requirement to get bubbles on some jets.. What kind of jets are in your spa?

It is hard to say without more information. Is the air inlet line at the equipment? Hidden in the bushes?

Not all spas require a blower. Most spa jets use a venturi effect to pull the air through along with the water and will get air even without a blower. A blower will likely make MORE bubbles, but depending on the jets it may be too much. Of course, it may be a requirement to get bubbles on some jets.. What kind of jets are in your spa?

The air inlet line for my inground spa is at the equipment, but there is a pipe sticking out of the heater with a threaded end. I'm assuming that's where the blower was. Everything (heater pump/motor/conduit) is shared between the pool and spa. I'm not sure what type of jets are in my spa. How could I find that out?

Blowers do not typically connect to a heater, at least never that I have seen. Is that threaded line metal or pvc? Does it have a 90 degree angle on it, and coming from the manifold where the plumbing goes into the heater? IF that is the case, it's probably just the pressure relief on the heater.

The blower would typically connect to a 2" or 1 1/2" pvc pipe. Usually sticking up vertically from the ground.

As far as the type of jets - it's not too important. Do they get air when the pump is running water through them? Is it enough air?

If they are not getting air, or there isn't enough, a blower could be a good option. I prefer the "silencer" blowers, as they are very quiet when installed properly. "Silencer" is a brand/model name.

Blowers do not typically connect to a heater, at least never that I have seen. Is that threaded line metal or pvc? Does it have a 90 degree angle on it, and coming from the manifold where the plumbing goes into the heater? IF that is the case, it's probably just the pressure relief on the heater.

The blower would typically connect to a 2" or 1 1/2" pvc pipe. Usually sticking up vertically from the ground.

As far as the type of jets - it's not too important. Do they get air when the pump is running water through them? Is it enough air?

If they are not getting air, or there isn't enough, a blower could be a good option. I prefer the "silencer" blowers, as they are very quiet when installed properly. "Silencer" is a brand/model name.

Like I said, a picture will help us to help you.

Yes I see where the 2.5"pvc pipe is sticking up. It says "air inlet spa". So is that where the blower goes. I really appreciate your help, guys. THX. Oh and its metal pipe w/ a 90 degree angle. Coming out opposite the plumbing. Right you are