Where Do You Find Msrps For Spas?

Having been out shopping for tubs for a few weeks now, it's all starting to feel very much like buying a car, in terms of the sales practices that go on, particularly concerning pricing.

I found out that I have access to one of those corporate discount programs, and that the corporate discount program offers a discount of "12% off MSRP" on one of the high-end vendors' spas.

Great, right? Except, I can't seem to find out what MSRP is. If I'm reliant on the dealer to tell me what the MSRP is, I have the feeling it will be whatever it needs to be to lead me to the current price that is already on the tub.

At least with cars, you can start with a sticker price which is pretty widely known.

Anything like that for tubs?

Having been out shopping for tubs for a few weeks now, it's all starting to feel very much like buying a car, in terms of the sales practices that go on, particularly concerning pricing.

I found out that I have access to one of those corporate discount programs, and that the corporate discount program offers a discount of "12% off MSRP" on one of the high-end vendors' spas.

Great, right? Except, I can't seem to find out what MSRP is. If I'm reliant on the dealer to tell me what the MSRP is, I have the feeling it will be whatever it needs to be to lead me to the current price that is already on the tub.

At least with cars, you can start with a sticker price which is pretty widely known.

Good luck... Not to sound negative, but since there is not established method in obtaining MSRP, nor do most manufacturers ever set one for their dealers to use, the best thing to do is make alot of phone calls to dealers around the nation to see what they charge for the same model... I would say the best thing to consider is that the standard markup over cost for a dealer varies from 20-40%. If the price of the tub includes cover, delivery, setup, then the price will likely be 40% or higher above cost, thus a markdown of 12% is not a painful one for the dealer, especially if things like delivery and setup are not included.

Sometimes these "discount programs" aren't much or any better than if you negotiate well yourself. 12% off MSRP (which no one pays) doesn't really sound that great to me anyway.

If the dealer is part of some program but there is no MSRP I'd just ask him to show me an invoice for the last 3 spas he's sold for a certain model you're interested in so you can get an idea of what a typical customer pays and then try to negotiate a better price off that “standard”.

BTW, what high end vendor is supposedly part of such a program? I'm wondering if they are considered high end because they say they are high end or whether they're really one of the industry leaders.

I called the manufacturer (In my case Marquis) and they somewhat reluctantly gave me the MSRP and said that the dealers set the price. The MSRP was MUCH higher than you should EVER pay....so it really doesn't seem very helpful to know and I doubt a set discount % would be the best deal. We did some phone calling to retailers in about a 75 mile radius of where we live and got some ball-park figures for the spa we wanted. We negotiated as best we could.....and feel we got a fair price, though perhaps not the cheapest price. We might have paid less if we'd purchased from store further away, but wanted local dealer for service, etc. Good luck!

Candice: what Marquis model did you end up getting?

After much debate and looking at Hot Springs, Marquis, and Leisure Bay spas, we finally ordered the '08 Reward- Signature series yesterday. Hooray! No extras except the dealer pkg. that included cover lifter, steps, chemicals, etc. We ended up paying $8250 but no 7% N.J. sales tax (long story...but same retailer installing pool for us).

We liked the H.S. Sovereign (wet tested) for a little less $, but wanted to stay with this pool/spa dealer who sells the Marquis brand and Leisure Bay. We were afraid of the quality of Leisure Bay brand....and pricing was pretty high. We didn't wet test the '08 Reward, but did dry test the '07 and thought lounge was a little deep for us, so we're happy with the manufacturer changes. We've put our trust and money in the reputation and features of Marquis spas and hope to heck we'll be happy with it!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! You won't be disappointed, that's an awesome spa.

Thanks! Will be happy to post pics... once received and set up. Gotta wait awhile as we just ordered on 2/15. Dealer estimates 4 weeks....but we'll see. It has to cross country, then we have to wait 'til dealer delivers and sets up. I'm hoping for end of March. Can't wait!!!!

Thanks, all, for your comments.

Based on something I saw in another thread, the Caldera Niagara MSRP may be something like $10,800. 12% off of that is around $9500, which is sort of what I'd expect to pay for a new one, based on some quotes I have gotten for a 2007 floor model.

I sort of figured that it was more of a promotion to get people to come in to the store .