1998 Hot Springs Jetstter Spa

drp_in_nb

Have an opportunity to purchase a used H/S Jetsetter (1998). Any owners out there care to weigh in on this product, both positive and negative? What have you experienced with this product and what can I expect in a 10-year old spa? How much should I pay? Thanks...

Many 10 year old spas are about ready for the graveyard (or already there). Others that are well made are only in their mid life. What it is worth really varies based on condition and without knowing more its tough to say. As with any used spa, I would not consider purchasing it without seeing it running at 100+º. If you get some story like "it worked great until I moved it to the side of the house last month" I would say "thanks but no thanks".

Have you seen it in operation? Have you turned on each seat to make sure the jets work? What does it look like aesthetically? Have them open the front door and confirm it is dry inside!

This spa is 110... I am told there is a separate circulating pump; however, when the jets run, the heater turns off ans visa versa... What do you know about this model? manufacturer?

Its made by Watkins and is a popular model made for many years. Again, the key is to see it running. If it looks fine and runs fine then you may get many more yeas out of it. There is no way to say from here.

If connected to 110V, when you turn the main pump on it does disable the heater and then re-enables it when you turn the pump off. That should not be an issue unless you plan to be in it with the jets on for 15+ minutes in cold whether with the pump running. The spa can be converted to 220v if you so chose and this would allow for the heater and pump to run at the same time but I'd just run it that way to start with if you went this route and you could decide if you really needed the 220v conversion.

Are you buying from an individual or a dealer. What I would be wary of is internal plumbing leaks. Most dealers would offer a warranty, but individual would not.

Unless it is only a few hundred dollars or preferable free, go get a newer spa as this one is suspect to failure. Soon you will be throwing good money after bad when you could simply get a decent spa to begin with that isn't wore out.

Are you buying from an individual or a dealer. What I would be wary of is internal plumbing leaks. Most dealers would offer a warranty, but individual would not.

Unless it is only a few hundred dollars or preferable free, go get a newer spa as this one is suspect to failure. Soon you will be throwing good money after bad when you could simply get a decent spa to begin with that isn't wore out.

Now why are you making a statement like that? That spa is 10 years old which is about middle age since its a quality made spa. The cheap brands like Hydro Spa only have about a 25% chance of even reaching 10 years (not counting the ones used as planters).

I would agree with soakerman about trying to get it for short money though, is it up and running great or has it been sitting unused? If the person is selling, they want to get rid of it. something big and bulky like that, i know i would not be to fussy about my selling price. make it worth your while good luck and listen to the poster who owns one.

^ lol! pump, fitting, heater failure, complete control failure?! :rolleyes: Where do you get this information from?

Everything has a usefull life span and I think you have almost reached it at ten years no matter what brand.

See, this is where you are SOOOO wrong. Your brand may only stand about a 25% chance of seeing 10 years but there are many quality brand spas out there where 10 yrs is just middle age. Just because yours isn't built to last 12, 15, 18 years ... doesn't mean that's typical. That's nothing for you to be ashamed of, you bought a bargain priced spa that isn't built to last past 10 years with regularity so why should you expect it to but don't throw a blanket around all others based on yours!!!

I was refering to friends hotsprings, Sundance spas that have gone to the dump in ten years or less due to stress fratures, multiple leakes inthe brittle plumbing ect. I don't know if my spa will go ten or more years but I do know alot of high end spas don't as well.

I was refering to friends hotsprings, Sundance spas that have gone to the dump in ten years or less due to stress fratures, multiple leakes inthe brittle plumbing ect. I don't know if my spa will go ten or more years but I do know alot of high end spas don't as well.

You must have a lot of spa owning friends. Or you're making the stuff up. I don't know anyone whos spa has broken down, but I've read testimonials from a lot of unhappy Hydrospa owners. So I guess its all a matter of what you believe. The testimony of many or the many words of one. :)