Needed Pool 101

kkeiser

OK, my family and I just moved into a home with a 16' x 32' inground pool, it has a concrete deck around it and has a vinyl liner w/ galvanized side walls & sand bottom from what I can tell.

I basically need to install everything on this pool, we purchased the home out of forclosure which means if it wasn't concreted in they sold it or took it with them.

Looking for Ease of Use & Maintenance on all equipment, with reliable performance and don't forget on a budget also.

Filter - leaning towards sand - What size?

Pump - Looking for suggestions - lines run into garage next to pool where pump & filter will be located - What size?

Liner - Needs replaced, torn in one spot to the floor and in a couple other areas around rim

I'm very mechanical so i plan to do the work myself, looking for suggestions on what and how to move forward.

Kids can't wait for summer here in Michigan.

Thanks

Keith

I like the hayward Top mount filters. The S310T2 is a great filter. At 500Lbs sand it can handle your pool easily. For filters it is best to have a larger one than one that is too small.

Pump - Looking for suggestions - lines run into garage next to pool where pump & filter will be located - What size?

There are a lot of options here.

1 - Small single speed energy efficient pump. 3/4Hp Hayward Super II or tristar, or a 3/4Hp Pentair Whisperflo. This is cheapest, but least efficient.

2 - Medium power two speed pump. I recommend the same brands above, but 1.5hp - Little more efficient, little more expensive.

3 - Variable speed pump, such as the new variable speed Hayward Tristar or the Pentair Intelliflo. Most expensive, most efficient.

Liner - Needs replaced, torn in one spot to the floor and in a couple other areas around rim

Liners can be a whole lot of trouble if you are not experienced. I would hire a professional for this part. Often a much better warranty as well.

Thanks for the input, I was leaning towards Heyward products as they are well known and easily found.

I actually work for an industrial filtration company and wish I could use one of our filters but cost is just out of the question.

I've heard that about a liner install, I will start calling around to get some quotes.

OK, my family and I just moved into a home with a 16' x 32' inground pool, it has a concrete deck around it and has a vinyl liner w/ galvanized side walls & sand bottom from what I can tell.

I basically need to install everything on this pool, we purchased the home out of forclosure which means if it wasn't concreted in they sold it or took it with them.

Looking for Ease of Use & Maintenance on all equipment, with reliable performance and don't forget on a budget also.

I'm very mechanical so i plan to do the work myself, looking for suggestions on what and how to move forward.

Kids can't wait for summer here in Michigan.

Thanks

Keith

I would hire someone to do the liner, they are not as easy as they look. I am a tile, coping, and plaster contactor in Michigan but dont do liners. What area are you in? I know some HONEST guys that do liners and could get you some numbers if interested. Byron, Great Lakes Pool Plastering

Can someone tell me what the cost advantages are from Chlorine disinfection to a Salt Generator?

What would an average Annual Chlorine Bill be??? I'm in Michigan probably open pool in May and try to keep it open until September (4-5 months).

I can't tell you anything about the advantages or disadvantages of an SWG system, but I can talk about chlorine. The way that I recommend to my customers is to add one quart of 12.5-15% chlorine per 10,000 gal of water in your pool each night. your pool should have about 12,000 gallons, and that's close enough to just add a quart a night. At that rate, you would go through 37.5 gallons of hypo (sodium hypochlorite, aka chlorine) if you run your pool for 5 months (150 days). I don't know what the prices of hypo are like in Michigan, but at our store in NW PA, we sell hypo for $17 for 5 gal. At that price you would spend $136 on 40 gallons (or 8 5-gallon jugs) of hypo. You will need to adjust other chemical variables periodically, and I would expect you to spend about $50 more on all of that for the whole summer. That is, if you can get it at a good price, and don't buy the expensive name-brand rip-off chemicals! :P If you go into a place that needs to make all their money in the summer, they'll give you tons of crap that will cost you more that one time than all of the above will cost you for the whole year.

I live in Lenawee County Michigan which is right on the Ohio / Michigan Boarder.

If you could forward me a couple names of liner guys i would much appreciate it.

Thanks for the chlorine information, i have not had a pool since i was a teen and at that time I didn't purchase the chemicals.

Looking to have alot of fun with it this year, the girls are 12 & 13 so it should be a blast.

Thanks

keith

I live in Lenawee County Michigan which is right on the Ohio / Michigan Boarder.

If you could forward me a couple names of liner guys i would much appreciate it.

Thanks for the chlorine information, i have not had a pool since i was a teen and at that time I didn't purchase the chemicals.

Looking to have alot of fun with it this year, the girls are 12 & 13 so it should be a blast.

Thanks

keith

Keith,

Here is a pool care regimen that is suggested by a pool service that my company is friendly with. Using these guidelines , you should be able to keep your pool clean and sparkling for the least amount of money.

Keith,

Here is a pool care regimen that is suggested by a pool service that my company is friendly with. Using these guidelines , you should be able to keep your pool clean and sparkling for the least amount of money.

These are EXCELLENT guidlines for pool care. We have much the same philosophy where I work! ( and we have two large storage tanks for our liquid chlorine that get refilled every week or two that we transfer to 2.5 gal carboys for sale.)

As far as advantages of a SWG, it is largely comfort. The salt water is easier on the skin, hair, and eyes of swimmers. You will still be adding chemicals to your pool, primarily acid instead of chlorine. You will still test your water chemistry regularly. Personally, i wouldn't have a pool without a SWG. Once I swam in a salt pool, 'regular' chlorine just seems so uncomfortable.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to fill you in... that size pull would run on a 1hp Super Pump and 22" sand filter that requires 250 lbs. To replace the liner there are a few things to consider. Condition of pool walls, condition of sand (meaning added materials necessary to do job correctly). I build, service and renovate vinyl liner pools in michigan and would reccommend a professional to do the measuring and renovation of liner. As for the size of your plumbing, it really depends on the pre-existing plumbing underground. It will not benefit you to have 2" above if everything beow is 1 1/2". As for the salt pools, look up Aqua rite or Aqua Logic. I can honestly say that I do not sell salt to my cusotmers, once the customer is educated it sells itself. Anymore questions please let me know.

Mike