Ouch! My First Power Bill.....

Joeybobby

I just received my first electrical bill for my CalSpa Avalon 8 person.

We live in Southern Ontario, Canada.

I compare my last bill to my previous 4 years with the same billing period and found my spa added approximately 15 kwh/day. My total average price of power is just over 10 cents per Kwh.

So from October 28 to December 28th, I figured that the Spa cost about 1.60 per day for the 60 day period.

So, in other words, nowhere near the $70/month that Soaker claims the premium spas cost......and you live in Canada!

I just received my first electrical bill for my CalSpa Avalon 8 person.

We live in Southern Ontario, Canada.

I compare my last bill to my previous 4 years with the same billing period and found my spa added approximately 15 kwh/day. My total average price of power is just over 10 cents per Kwh.

So from October 28 to December 28th, I figured that the Spa cost about 1.60 per day for the 60 day period.

So, in other words, nowhere near the $70/month that Soaker claims the premium spas cost......and you live in Canada!

Soakerman didn't say that .... Joeyboby stated it:

"There was a bit of a hike in electricity that I didnt know about so I guess I could take 30 bucks off of that and say it cost me 100 to run it. Seems high to me since I use it only once a week. Wow, thats 25 bucks per use...haha Ouch! I did have to empty it a couple of times though... Maybe it isn't as bad as I thought. 70-80 seems pretty standard "

Relax and its ok its a energy hog :lol:

Soakerman didn't say that .... Joeyboby stated it:

You've quoted NUMEROUS times what HS and Sundance and other premium spas use in energy.....without ever backing up your figures.

Ok I did the math and I used 1167 more KWH than the same month last year less one day. With the hike I only paid $5.00 more. The total with the hike is $88.92 @7.62/kwh. I also had a smaller hot tub running last year so I guess I should figure 30-40 bucks for that. So in the end it does look like $110-$120 to run it for a month....... and it wasn't really that cold..... I've been running it in ECN mode since so I guess Ill see what happens this month..

Ok I did the math and I used 1167 more KWH than the same month last year less one day. With the hike I only paid $5.00 more. The total with the hike is $88.92 @7.62/kwh. I also had a smaller hot tub running last year so I guess I should figure 30-40 bucks for that. So in the end it does look like $110-$120 to run it for a month....... and it wasn't really that cold..... I've been running it in ECN mode since so I guess Ill see what happens this month..

Now you're confusing me. Too many numbers. Looks like it cost you $88.92? You don't add in an additional 30-40 beyond last year. The total is the total. Or am I missing something?

Now you're confusing me. Too many numbers. Looks like it cost you $88.92? You don't add in an additional 30-40 beyond last year. The total is the total. Or am I missing something?

No I think you're missing nothing but don't like what the poster said as it goes against the claim of a premium spa haveing insanly low electtric bills. this poster is giveing his assesment of his usage not good or bad being $88.92 a month this winter.

Im adding the 30 or 40 because thats what my smaller hot tub probably was costing me to run. I got rid of the smaller one bought a bigger one and my bill is still 88.92 more than last year. Which means 88.92 plus what I was paying for the other one. Still confusing?

Im adding the 30 or 40 because thats what my smaller hot tub probably was costing me to run. I got rid of the smaller one bought a bigger one and my bill is still 88.92 more than last year. Which means 88.92 plus what I was paying for the other one. Still confusing?

The only one that is confussed is the dealer that insist the spa will cost tweenty bucks a month then you come along to blow his theory out the window.

I appreciate your post as I feel it is a realistic comparison in actuall customer use in the real world. Keep us updated on your usage.

"My cheap hydrospa uses 450 killowats in the dead of winter."

This is my favorite soakerman post. Sounds so dramatic, "dead of winter" like he is in northern maine or up in canada. I guess dead of winter is better for effect than I live in florida, and it really doesn't get that cold here.

No I think you're missing nothing but don't like what the poster said as it goes against the claim of a premium spa haveing insanly low electtric bills. this poster is giveing his assesment of his usage not good or bad being $88.92 a month this winter.

Now you're really wacked. Joeyhobby never said he bought a premium spa, or that a dealer promised him a certain dollar amount of electric bills a month. Stuff you just made up, as usual. In fact, he said the dealer/manufacturer said they were going to send someone out to spray foam it - which wouldn't need to be done if it was a premium spa in the first place. Right?

Now you're really wacked. Joeyhobby never said he bought a premium spa, or that a dealer promised him a certain dollar amount of electric bills a month. Stuff you just made up, as usual. In fact, he said the dealer/manufacturer said they were going to send someone out to spray foam it - which wouldn't need to be done if it was a premium spa in the first place. Right?

HAHA It's definitely not a premium spa.... but the description did boast how well it was supposed to be insulated....

"My cheap hydrospa uses 450 killowats in the dead of winter."

This is my favorite soakerman post. Sounds so dramatic, "dead of winter" like he is in northern maine or up in canada. I guess dead of winter is better for effect than I live in florida, and it really doesn't get that cold here.

Thanks, I needed a chuckle. :lol:

I haven't been here for a few weeks, (thanks to Doc and Chas for covering), so hello to all. It's comforting and reassuring to see that nothing has changed. :P Makes me feel right at home!

Those of you interested in energy consumption might check out a parking lot test done by a dealer in Colorado. He put two spas side by side and metered their electricity use for two weeks. Not an extensive test, I'll admit, but excellent in that it involves identical weather conditions, similar usage, identical hydro rates. A good way to be sure you are comparing apples to apples, so to speak.

Surely Arctic's not the only one that's done this? It sounds like kind of a fun thing, and any dealer should be able to set something like this up. If you've done one, please share the results.