Saltwater Systems?

Long Arms

Large swimming pools are increasingly being converted from Chlorine/Bromine systems into salt chlorine generator systems. Are small spas of 250 to 450 gallons applicable to this type of system?

In my research I found a company a chlorine generator. These systems use the process of electrolysis. When water passes over a device (the chlorine generator cell) it is instantaneously transformed into hypochlorous acid. This acid kills algae and other harmful stuff in water. Using table salt, the generator converts the salt atom through electrolysis into chlorine and back into salt. The system doesn't loose any salt in the process and maintains the proper pH. Testing is still required, but the calcium and mineral deposits inside the generator are the big secret which need replacement.

The only chlorine generators I could find on the Internet treat as little as 15,000 gallon pools for about $700.00. After using a spa for the last six months, water treatment chemical use and filtering is not a perfect science. There are too many different chemicals, too many variables and as a layman I am trying to keep my costs low and my enjoyment of my spa high!

Large swimming pools are increasingly being converted from Chlorine/Bromine systems into salt chlorine generator systems. Are small spas of 250 to 450 gallons applicable to this type of system?

In my research I found a company a chlorine generator. These systems use the process of electrolysis. When water passes over a device (the chlorine generator cell) it is instantaneously transformed into hypochlorous acid. This acid kills algae and other harmful stuff in water. Using table salt, the generator converts the salt atom through electrolysis into chlorine and back into salt. The system doesn't loose any salt in the process and maintains the proper pH. Testing is still required, but the calcium and mineral deposits inside the generator are the big secret which need replacement.

The only chlorine generators I could find on the Internet treat as little as 15,000 gallon pools for about $700.00. After using a spa for the last six months, water treatment chemical use and filtering is not a perfect science. There are too many different chemicals, too many variables and as a layman I am trying to keep my costs low and my enjoyment of my spa high!

This was a previous thread which got very technical. In fact if oversimplified this is close to how liquid chlorine is manufactured, and a Salt Water Generator turns your pool/spa into a Mr.Chlorine... I repeat:oversimplified. Thanks to Chris W for this very interesting product link for the"Autopilot" SWG for spas! <click me>

This was from a thread discussing Lithium Hypo which went granular on the manufacture processes of different sanitizers in the Chemical Forum above. There were multiple replies but very few views... I thought it was fascinating, you guys should read it some time when you can't sleep. Shout outs to chem geek and Chris W, good lookin' out Chris (Autopilot), and thanks, as usual, to the chem geekster for delivering the granular facts. Click here and check it out

You don't want to use a salt system designed for a pool on something as small as a hot tub. You won't be able to keep the chlorine levels low enough. The information about the systems not losing any salt is not exactly accurate. You don't add salt once and never again. Of course, you wouldn't need to add much to something as small as a spa. Salt systems are fantabulous for pools. The water can be corrosive to certain materials, such as limestone. I don't know if it would effect the shell of a spa or not. One drawback I've seen with salt systems designed for spas is the need to float it in the spa water and remove it when soaking. In addition, you are supposed to add a shock packet before and after each soak. It just doesn't seem easier to me, unlike the completely automated pool systems. Of course, there might be projects out there that I'm not familiar with.

You don't want to use a salt system designed for a pool on something as small as a hot tub. You won't be able to keep the chlorine levels low enough. The information about the systems not losing any salt is not exactly accurate. You don't add salt once and never again. Of course, you wouldn't need to add much to something as small as a spa. Salt systems are fantabulous for pools. The water can be corrosive to certain materials, such as limestone. I don't know if it would effect the shell of a spa or not. One drawback I've seen with salt systems designed for spas is the need to float it in the spa water and remove it when soaking. In addition, you are supposed to add a shock packet before and after each soak. It just doesn't seem easier to me, unlike the completely automated pool systems. Of course, there might be projects out there that I'm not familiar with.

True True When analyzing a process you should keep to the base number of steps and the cost. The autopilot is somewhat expensive... I mean that would keep you in Clorox for years! and unless it made it cheaper and simpler, how could that be better? Very, interesting however. I am open to comparing the steps involved in daily/weekly water testing/treatment between an "Autopilot" unit and simple daily-bleach/weekly-MPS strategy. One of the most important goals of this forum is removing the confusion and dread of what it takes to easily maintain one's spa water quality.

The best deal I've com across on the Spa-pilot is here

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/salt-chlori...-starterkit.htm

As you said, you can buy a lot of bleach for that price

This site has one of the better consumer level descriptions of the system

http://shop.solardirect.com/product_info.p...products_id=576

The power-pouches are mainly MPS, and are suspiciously similar to the Fresh-n-Clear EZ Dose pouches sold at my Leslies Pool store

spaPilotPowerPouches.jpg

This is the "normal" Fresh-nClear, they also sell the pouch version as EZ Dose in the same style bottle

http://www.lesliespool.com/shopping/produc...er/14550_lg.jpg

According to the Leslie's MSDS page, they get the pouches from Dupont

http://www.lesliesmsds.com/Document/13/42/...0bae745b1eb.pdf

It appears that Dupont owns the patent on this technique of packaging MPS

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6727219-description.html

• 2 months later...

AutoChlor makes units specifically for use with spas. Models you are after are RPMINI or ACMINI. They make 5g/hour of pure chlorine at maximum output, which is equivalent of roughly 100ml of unscented Clorox. Old models are a bit bulky, however there is a new compact model but i'm not sure if it has been officially released yet.