Hot Spring Pricing

Howdy,

I am new to the forum. I have seen a lot of helpful info on this site in the last few weeks.

My wife and I are about to purchase our first tub and we could not possibly be more confused.

This is the most confusing purchase that I have ever made.

We love quality and durability. We loved the Hot Springs Vanguard and Grandee. However, I realized that I needed Hot Springs more than they needed me when it came time to strike a deal.

What gives? They are only allowed to charge retail price (less maybe $500 if you are lucky)?

Has anyone got a good deal on one of their tubs?

If anyone has another similar quality tub, Please let me know which Model/Manufacturer it is.

Help Quick,....my brain is about to explode.

:huh:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What part of the country are you in? My area Hot Spring dealer deals.

Sometimes "deals" can be deceiving.

Some dealers pad the price and then drop it to make the customer feel they've found a great deal. This appeals to the “hagglers” but often it gives a false feeling of “victory” to the customer.

Other dealers determine the average price they need to stay in business and charge that to everyone. This method can be a turnoff to some people who feel they need to haggle (I know, my mother would haggle over the price of a roll of pennies at the bank) but if it is done the proper way is best for most.

What part of the country are you in? My area Hot Spring dealer deals.

Sometimes "deals" can be deceiving.

Some dealers pad the price and then drop it to make the customer feel they've found a great deal. This appeals to the “hagglers” but often it gives a false feeling of “victory” to the customer.

Other dealers determine the average price they need to stay in business and charge that to everyone. This method can be a turnoff to some people who feel they need to haggle (I know, my mother would haggle over the price of a roll of pennies at the bank) but if it is done the proper way is best for most.

hahhaha

Don't worry too much about the price just yet. For some products "price sells", but you just said yourself that you understood the complexity of what is about to happen. There is alot of wisdom on this board and you sound smart enough to filter out what you need to know. Realize you will likely own this longer than you own a new car and get an addictive amount of joy from the thing. So much joy that when it's broken you will be in a bad place... emotionally, spiritually, and physically. You will chant the mantra we have all claimed as our own (repeat after me) "I *must* soak". When my spa had a tiny problem I found myself in the shower trying to simulate the spa experience with the shower massager wand... not happening (!)

This means that if ever your spa ceases to function, you will feel an incredible urge to have it return to fully functional as soon as possible... so as to get your soaking "fix". That means you need someone who cares... about you ...and your little spa problem <ahem> Strangely enough we call them DEALERS *cough* and they are your friend in these times of need. You will want a dealer to rush over to your house as soon as he can and offer a speedy resolution.

So your first steps are to find which dealers are local that are open to allowing you and yours to get in the spa while it has water and bubbles. Wet testing is good, it brings you closer to the feeling that you know exactly what you are about to drop 8+ grand on (Taxes tags delivery chemicals steps cover electrical hook up and concrete pad/deck champagne) Buyers remorse = reduced "Joy of Soaking".

When you have a couple models that have proven that potential joy-ishness these folks will help you get a better deal. For now focus on the things that have reduced others joy. Things that have caused that remorse... "we didn't wet test and now she hates it and won't get in..." "..she found she floated in that model" "I'm a NBA, is there a spa for someone 7' 2"?" and then move to the technical issues like jets and filtration, and do NOT worry about water chemistry. Read about that now in the neighboring Water Chemistry section above. Most of all remember that Dealer fellow. He needs to be chosen just as wisely... you might need him one cold and foggy night come January 2009, is he gonna be there for ya?

It is hard to generalize about all HS dealers - there are many hundreds of us around the globe.

But - I find that most prefer to wait to 'haggle' until the moment you are sitting at the table with your pen in one hand and your checkbook in the other. It is generally a waste of time to throw numbers around in casual conversation, because it is so easy to confuse those verbal numbers with the others you may have heard or will hear at other dealers. And, you need to see a list of all the items included with your tub before you really know what the deal will cost.

HTH

B)

I was just hoping to get some price ranges on the two HS units that I mentioned. I assumed that many of the people on here would have that type of knowledge. It appears that many of you are Dealers or owners of HS spas.

Pricing can vary greatly between Oregon, New York, Virgina, Alabam, and Texas so somtimes finding out what someone paid in Bozeman Montana is all that helpful.

I would send this guy a personal message. He's a good ole boy from Texas who frequents these spa web forums and is very helpful since he deals with Hot Spring. He can probably answer your questions more easily than anyone.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showuser=26

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin...ame=East_TX_Spa

I was just hoping to get some price ranges on the two HS units that I mentioned. I assumed that many of the people on here would have that type of knowledge. It appears that many of you are Dealers or owners of HS spas.

Spent 7900 for our Sovereign last year from local HS dealer...delivered, set up and it has a five year warranty. BODark is right, you want to know you've got somebody there to fix it if it goes blooey....(we've not had that issue so far).

But we're in Maine and your dealer may charge more or less.

We decided we needed a tub last March when we were visiting your fine state. We sat atop our hotel in the hot tub staring at the stars and relaxing. The best part of having your own tub is they are sooooo much more fun than a hotel version.....more comfortable, more power, more options and no strangers climbing in beside you.

I want to say my area HS dealer (Chicago area) has the Vanguard at a little over 9 -- list -- and the Grandee around 12 -- list -- and he generally will take about a thousand, maybe a little more, off. I can't really remember specifics, because it's been a couple of months since I last talked to him.

I live in Arlington, TX and we just went through all of the looking and priceing. We looked at Bullfrog in Arlington. Also, the Hot Springs in Fort Worth. We ended up with a Marquis tub from Aquaworld Spas. 5460 E. Loop 820 S. Fort Worth. We wet tested and the salesman was very nice. The owner came out and showed us how to operate and set-up. It turns out we had a friend who had purchased one from them about 5 years ago. He's had no problems. Aqua world did come down off the orginal price and added lift cover and 6 months of chemicals at no charge and delivery is free. The Hot Springs dealer was set on the price. Except they had a store front at the Parks Mall in Arlington just for the Christmas holidays and were going to come off the price a little on certain models. We just liked the Marquis tub better and felt we got what we wanted in our budget. If you end up buying one from Marquis let me know because they give free chemical for referrals. Thanks and good luck. We love ours!!!

I met that guy at Aquaworld last week. He was nice and had a few 07's to sell at discounted rates.

We went out to talk to the HS guys again. Why can't I get them to work with me? They told me today that they only deliver the tub....no filling.....no demo......no chemically preparing the water.??????????What , even the crappy manufacturer dealers offered to do those things.

Oh they did come down to 11K for a HS grandee 08/07 demo that has water in it. What the Heck?

Maybe I need to wear better cologne or something to make these people warm up to me.

At this point should I wait till they have all of the 08's in and are ready to move some tubs?

I love the tub, but can't find anyone that wants to work with me on $$$$$$

Maybe we are forced to try out another brand.

I am in sales too (not tubs) and I would love for someone to come to me and say...I want your product....just make me a good deal and here is your cash...

These guys must starve most of the year with this attitude. They are not bad guys to talk to...until you start asking for a price.

:blink:

I was told today that the costs are all different from city to city. Freight is more in some places. OK...They ship from Cali to Chicago and can sell for 8950. They ship from Cali to Texas (much closer and Dallas is the major traffic hub of the south ) and they are charging 11K plus??????????

Anyone from Texas have experience with this model and getting a good deal.

I know they are in business to make money, but with such a quality product...shouldn't they be able sell plenty of spas in a year. They are acting like they need to get their entire year's worth of commission off of me.

Not familiar with the Artesian spas....Anyone have them to give advice???

Each dealer knows what it costs them to stay in biz. I would say that with the past two years being as slow as they have been industry-wide, that any dealer still standing has a good handle on what it takes to stick around.

What I'm saying is that the prices reflect what the dealer needs to survive, and you need him to survive to offer you service after the sale. Many dealers who have dropped prices over the past couple of years are now gone. They simply didn't have the surge of volume they thought would happen by dropping prices, and they lost it all.

Just a thought.

B)

It all depends on which model that you are looking at. A spa that has the same features that the one that you are looking at is the Platinum Line which I sell for around 8 k. Keep in mind as dealers we have no set price that we have to sell our spas for. So when a dealer tells you that he has to get a certian price for a tub I would personally think about who I am dealing with, but that is my opion!!!

I met that guy at Aquaworld last week. He was nice and had a few 07's to sell at discounted rates.

We went out to talk to the HS guys again. Why can't I get them to work with me? They told me today that they only deliver the tub....no filling.....no demo......no chemically preparing the water.??????????What , even the crappy manufacturer dealers offered to do those things.

Oh they did come down to 11K for a HS grandee 08/07 demo that has water in it. What the Heck?

Maybe I need to wear better cologne or something to make these people warm up to me.

At this point should I wait till they have all of the 08's in and are ready to move some tubs?

I love the tub, but can't find anyone that wants to work with me on $$$$$$

Maybe we are forced to try out another brand.

I am in sales too (not tubs) and I would love for someone to come to me and say...I want your product....just make me a good deal and here is your cash...

These guys must starve most of the year with this attitude. They are not bad guys to talk to...until you start asking for a price.

:blink:

true true but are you a Salesman for your own company? These are small independent retailers and they are their own salespeople, so if you are a salesman for a larger (larger than 1!) company then the comparison is not so clear... I feel for ya tho. You are buying a luxury item as people are looking down the barrel of a recession. It's not you. Don't buy on price alone, because in the end it's gonna be you and the spa... and that dealer. Go back with your bathing suit and a check book, but if he just isn't gonna back down... hnmm take it more as a point of the immediate state of Economics and not personally. The goal really is to get the hot tub that's gonna make you happy, get you laid (even if you're married), and that you will feel good about long term.

Bo "did I just say 'get you laid' in my outside voice?" Darc

Unless it is a Hot Springs policy not to offer a customer orientation, than I would run away from that dealer. I can understand them not filling your spa or even adding the chemicals themselves, because it could be a liability issue. Not giving you a demonstration on how to run your spa, once it's at your house and filled, is not reasonable. Sounds like a lazy dealer. When I had the man out to show me how to work the spa, he actually made me push every button and do everything myself, to make sure I understood how to run the spa. This is who you are going to need to turn to in the future, if you have any problems with your spa. Doesn't sound like he's going to be too helpful. I think there are other hot springs dealers on the board, maybe they could let you know if this is normal Hot Springs procedure or not. If it isn't, I would contact Hot Springs and let them know about this particular dealer. Hot Springs has a solid reputation and I'm sure they wouldn't want a dealer tarnishing it. As far as pricing goes, I don't think you can hold that against the dealer. He has a price he needs to charge and you have a price you can pay, if they aren't the same, that isn't anyone's fault.

Unless it is a Hot Springs policy not to offer a customer orientation, than I would run away from that dealer. I can understand them not filling your spa or even adding the chemicals themselves, because it could be a liability issue. Not giving you a demonstration on how to run your spa, once it's at your house and filled, is not reasonable. Sounds like a lazy dealer. When I had the man out to show me how to work the spa, he actually made me push every button and do everything myself, to make sure I understood how to run the spa. This is who you are going to need to turn to in the future, if you have any problems with your spa. Doesn't sound like he's going to be too helpful. I think there are other hot springs dealers on the board, maybe they could let you know if this is normal Hot Springs procedure or not. If it isn't, I would contact Hot Springs and let them know about this particular dealer. Hot Springs has a solid reputation and I'm sure they wouldn't want a dealer tarnishing it. As far as pricing goes, I don't think you can hold that against the dealer. He has a price he needs to charge and you have a price you can pay, if they aren't the same, that isn't anyone's fault.

There is some REAL confusion here. The local Hot Springs Dealer here in Dallas-Fort Worth (Coleman) does offer a free backyard orientation with every Hot Spring Spa that is purchased. The delivery crew does not wire the electrical, fill the spa, or put chemicals in it though so normally the time of delivery is not the best time for this demonstration. After the spa is running seems like the best time for this and it is available to all customers.

HotSpring sales training is always based on going the extra mile, and management training is based on going two.

It is not the policy of Watkins MFG to make any part of the buying or owning process hard, though they do recommend licensed electricians hook up the wires.

I have gone out to many homes to start up spas after the electrician completed his work. To speed up the process, I have sometimes walked the new (excited) owner through the filling process via phone so it could be heating when I arrived to do the orientation. I have also done the orientation in-store on a floor model spas - on occasion, but again, that was to expedite the first soak for the customer.

B)

Ok,

I think I have a handle on this stuff now....it is a clear case of price gouging!!!

The local dealer has 1 last 2007 wet demoed model. They won't go below 10.5K. They know that they are the only ones in town to buy it from. When calling other dealer in the state, I was instantly offered a better deal on 2008 models that are not wet. Of course they can not service the unit in my area though. So when I bring this to my local dealer he brags that the other guys will have to travel to service my tub because they WILL NOT service my tub if it is bought elsewhere.

I called Watkins to confirm. They told me that they would not be happy either with this situation. However as most of you know, Hot Springs has set costs to the dealer but can not set sales pricing. They told me that it would be unfortunate if this sales' tactic causses us to buy another brand, BUT they would do the same. They told me to go to the store and make the same offer. Walk away if the dealer continues to gouge because they have not ordered any new 2008 tubs.

You guys have helped clear this issue up, BUT I am about to walk away.

A purchase of this size should be one that makes you sooooo happy in all ways. I will not settle for just any deal.

I don't like it or feel good about it...but it looks like the other manufacturers are about to get my attention and money.

Go get wet!