Walmart Hydro Spa For $3298

fkielman

Hi everyone

I am playing with the idea of purchasing a Hydro Spa product that Walmart currently is offering. The product is a Z40 model and this is the link:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4324521

The price was reduced from 3598 to 3298. I am trying to find someone that purchased the product previously to know how satisfied they are. In addition I would like to know what color the cabinet and the hard cover are. Thanks in advance.

I own a Hydro Spa Omni and I love it. I think that they are a great value that normal people can afford. The insulation can be easily upgraded to make the spa very efficient. The only things wrong with buying from Wallmart is you do not get backyard delivery or a professional dealer to help with any problems. Also, I wonder if that price includes shipping. Be aware that many dealers will post replies bashing any lower cost brand. They need to justify their high prices ya know. In my opinion, if a lower cost spa does not last 10 to 20 years, who cares! Who wants to own an outdated 10-20 year old spa anyway.

Shipping is not included an will add another 149$ to the price. The backyard delivery is also a challenge for me right now. Since we just moved here we dont know the neighbours well enough.

I clicked on the larger image of the spa, it looks ok, but I thought the way there are two pillows instead of one in the lounge looks kind of dumb. Also it only has a 5 year warranty on the shell which is not very good compared to other better quality spas. I am not "bashing" this product, just pointing out some things. We have a spa on our showroom floor that has more features, a lifetime spa shell warranty, and is better looking that sells for only $2995, including a hard cover, start up chemicals and delivery. Plus US (with 42 years experience) to back it up! Good Luck with Walmart.

Hi everyone

I am playing with the idea of purchasing a Hydro Spa product that Walmart currently is offering. The product is a Z40 model and this is the link:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4324521

The price was reduced from 3598 to 3298. I am trying to find someone that purchased the product previously to know how satisfied they are. In addition I would like to know what color the cabinet and the hard cover are. Thanks in advance.

Have you gotten a chance to sit in a dry model or better yet, wet test the one you like from Wal-Mart? No manufacturer makes a spa that will be comfortable for everyone.

i think it looks very nice for what my opinion is worth. I think spending $6000 on a tub of hot water is not something that appeals to me.

We have a ten year old Jacuzzi tub which is much less fancy and basically swirly water but that is really fine for us.

Have you gotten a chance to sit in a dry model or better yet, wet test the one you like from Wal-Mart? No manufacturer makes a spa that will be comfortable for everyone.

Most dealers have a tub on there floor that they can sell for $4000-$4500 including delivery, cover, chems, etc. In my opinion, it would be well worth the extra money to receive professional delivery and service after the sale. Go to a couple of nearby dealers and be honest about what you want to spend. If they have something to offer, they will let you know. If they don't, they will let you know, too. I am not going to bash the Wal-Mart tub, but it is hard to put a price tag on the peace-of-mind that you will get from help and service once the spa is in your backyard.

Most dealers have a tub on there floor that they can sell for $4000-$4500 including delivery, cover, chems, etc. In my opinion, it would be well worth the extra money to receive professional delivery and service after the sale. Go to a couple of nearby dealers and be honest about what you want to spend. If they have something to offer, they will let you know. If they don't, they will let you know, too. I am not going to bash the Wal-Mart tub, but it is hard to put a price tag on the peace-of-mind that you will get from help and service once the spa is in your backyard.

Sit down, take a deep breath and really think about what you are buying. I know I want to go to sleep at night because my days are valuable. Having proper sleep gets me through the day, not staying up all night worrying about a tub I cannot get serviced. Some people can care less. Just sit down and ask yourself is spending 2000 dollars more for a better quality tub and wonderful sleep worth it?

Most dealers have a tub on there floor that they can sell for $4000-$4500 including delivery, cover, chems, etc. In my opinion, it would be well worth the extra money to receive professional delivery and service after the sale.

Add to that, better quality, far better insulation and a warranty that has meaning both on apper and when an issue arises. You don't have to spend $9k to get a good spa but at the same time, spending $3k doesn't mean you're saving $$ either; low price does not necessarily= value. Value in a spa is a relationship between price, quality, durability, insulating properties, service, ease of use, therapuetic ability, etc.

Add to that, better quality, far better insulation and a warranty that has meaning both on apper and when an issue arises. You don't have to spend $9k to get a good spa but at the same time, spending $3k doesn't mean you're saving $$ either; low price does not necessarily= value. Value in a spa is a relationship between price, quality, durability, insulating properties, service, ease of use, therapuetic ability, etc.

Thank you all for your feedback. Let me try and respond to them

Poollady: 1. Two pillows instead of one...I absolutely agree...very dumb

2. 5 year warranty..I am aware of that

3. Is there a link to a website for that 2995 hot tub?

Grahamtasia: dry model...no dealer in Oregon and Walmart has no models in their stores. But I believe I can get comfortable in almost any hot tub.

Kreg: Couldnt find a comparable model at a local dealer..we looked at three places in Portland. Either it was a big compromise on functionality or the price tag doubled

Brulan1: We were willing to spend about 5k and found the same model that Walmart is selling for 1500$ more at a spadiscount website. So since I am not willing to spend the money for a Caldera or Cal Spas this sounded like a good deal to me

spatech: Can you tell me why the insolation is not good?

btw...another link to the manufacturers web site is http://www.familyspas.com/ZSpas.htm

The model is Z40.

fkielman, if you must buy a cheap spa go to Costco. Costco at least has a life long return policy. If you have issues with the Walmart spa a year from now you will be hosed. Most dealers do carry an affordable line of spas nowadays. That would be my first choice. Good luck with the purchase.

My two cents. From looking at the picture of the spa it looks like almost half the spa is that big lounger. It doesn't look like much room for people in the other seats. Also, I noticed in the specs that it said the spa only goes up to 100 degrees. Not sure if that is a typo or not but most spas go up to 104. IMO If you live in a cold climate the 100 degrees would be a bit chilly.

I got a similar hot tub online from sams club. It was a keys backyard spa for $3,799 and included delivery. So far I am very satisfied with it. Spatech is right, the insulation on these lower end tubs isn't as good. There is some foam insulation but it isn't a "full foam" insulation and they dont have a thermal barrier. If you want more info on either you wont have to look to hard on here. As an example my parents Hot Springs tub has about a 20-25 a month electric bill and mine is 60-70 a month in winter (much less in summer). There was a post on here about someone who had a similar tub and he added his own insulation and it really helped. At the very least I am going to get a better cover to see if that helps next winter.

The post below talked about being hosed if you have a problem. I have no idea about the Hydro warranty but my tub had a problem with the blower and it got fixed in 3 days and it didnt cost me a cent. I'm not saying the warranty is anywhere near as good as the big guys but I also dont think it as bad as some people make it out to be.

As far as moving it once it is delivered, I had 4 friends come over and we were able to move it without much trouble. I used 2 stockade fence posts to roll it across the yard. I called around and got a few estimates and they ranged from $200-$600 to have movers or spa companies do it. I decided a case of beer and 2 pizzas would be cheeper.

There is a lot of debate on here about these types of tubs. As someone who owns one they are definatly not for everyone. My advice to you would be to do your home work and look at as many of them as you can, decide what features are important to you and then make an informed decision.

My two cents. From looking at the picture of the spa it looks like almost half the spa is that big lounger. It doesn't look like much room for people in the other seats. Also, I noticed in the specs that it said the spa only goes up to 100 degrees. Not sure if that is a typo or not but most spas go up to 104. IMO If you live in a cold climate the 100 degrees would be a bit chilly.

I got a similar hot tub online from sams club. It was a keys backyard spa for $3,799 and included delivery. So far I am very satisfied with it. Spatech is right, the insulation on these lower end tubs isn't as good. There is some foam insulation but it isn't a "full foam" insulation and they dont have a thermal barrier. If you want more info on either you wont have to look to hard on here. As an example my parents Hot Springs tub has about a 20-25 a month electric bill and mine is 60-70 a month in winter (much less in summer). There was a post on here about someone who had a similar tub and he added his own insulation and it really helped. At the very least I am going to get a better cover to see if that helps next winter.

The post below talked about being hosed if you have a problem. I have no idea about the Hydro warranty but my tub had a problem with the blower and it got fixed in 3 days and it didnt cost me a cent. I'm not saying the warranty is anywhere near as good as the big guys but I also dont think it as bad as some people make it out to be.

As far as moving it once it is delivered, I had 4 friends come over and we were able to move it without much trouble. I used 2 stockade fence posts to roll it across the yard. I called around and got a few estimates and they ranged from $200-$600 to have movers or spa companies do it. I decided a case of beer and 2 pizzas would be cheeper.

There is a lot of debate on here about these types of tubs. As someone who owns one they are definatly not for everyone. My advice to you would be to do your home work and look at as many of them as you can, decide what features are important to you and then make an informed decision.

This is probably the best post I've seen on these tubs in terms of objectivity and laying out the facts from firsthand experience.

That says it all; go in with your eyes open.

That says it all; go in with your eyes open.

Thanks again to all of you for your helpful advice. These were the final candiated on our short list

1. Wal-Mart Hydro Spa for 3298$

2. CostCo Discovery for 3699$

3. Caldera Oasis II for 3695$

We decided to go with the Hydro Spa product. I'll let you know how bad or good our experience with Wal-Mart and Hydro Spa is. Thanks again

Thanks again to all of you for your helpful advice. These were the final candiated on our short list

We decided to go with the Hydro Spa product. I'll let you know how bad or good our experience with Wal-Mart and Hydro Spa is. Thanks again

Congrats and good luck(your gonna need it!!) with your purchase! Unfortunately, hydrospa does not have a very good reputation at all. Its ashame, since alot of people trust Wal-Mart to offer a quality product! They do have good deals on dvd's and video games tho! $3298 is a helluva alot of money to spend on a product you have never seen and is not dealer supported, imho. I will be interested to hear your opinion of owning a hydrospa this time next year.

I am curious as to why you choice that over the Caldera. Is it the $400.00 in upfront saving ? I would thought having a dealer support with the Caldera it would have been worth the extra money.

Here is a website that shows a video of how you can add spray insulation to your spa if the insulation needs to be improved http://www.fomofoam.com/video.htm If you live in an area that has cold winters this may be needed. I looked at one of these on display at the local Walmart and it doesn't appear to have much insulation. Only your use and electricity bill will ultimately tell if this is needed. Otherwise not a bad looking spa for that price. Just curious as to why you didn't choose the Caldera? of those three that would have been my number one hands down. Good luck it may turn out to be a decent spa for you, keep us posted as to how you like it after a couple months.

Here is a website that shows a video of how you can add spray insulation to your spa if the insulation needs to be improved http://www.fomofoam.com/video.htm If you live in an area that has cold winters this may be needed. I looked at one of these on display at the local Walmart and it doesn't appear to have much insulation. Only your use and electricity bill will ultimately tell if this is needed. Otherwise not a bad looking spa for that price. Just curious as to why you didn't choose the Caldera? of those three that would have been my number one hands down. Good luck it may turn out to be a decent spa for you, keep us posted as to how you like it after a couple months.

good luck and happy tubbing. It would be benificial to spray more foam on that user guy recommended. that is great advice.

good luck and happy tubbing. It would be benificial to spray more foam on that user guy recommended. that is great advice.

Watched the video. I guess it would help but it seems like a lot of work to do for something you are already spending good dollars on while there are other choices that you could make that would offer a better spa at a comparable price like say a Nordic for example. Than you get a product that is dealer supported with a warranty that requires much less involvement from you that what you now have to do, I.M.O.

Watched the video. I guess it would help but it seems like a lot of work to do for something you are already spending good dollars on while there are other choices that you could make that would offer a better spa at a comparable price like say a Nordic for example. Than you get a product that is dealer supported with a warranty that requires much less involvement from you that what you now have to do, I.M.O.

That is a great point but you might save a few dollars spraying yourself. Who knows what is involved though

• 8 months later...

Did you get the tub????? Its almost a year, hows it doing.

john

• 4 weeks later...

I just clicked on the insulation link and it appears it would cost something on the order of $500 to add insulation to an average spa. Does anyone have a different take on this? One local spa manufacturer told us yesterday that any more than 2 inches of closed cell foam insulation is a waste of money, and that most spas are shipped with alot of foam insulation to protect the components from damage during shipping. I wonder about that, too.