Dichlor For The Dummy Redux

Nightop

I started to post this in the other thread by this same type of topic title but decided to start a new thread as to not hijack that one:

I have been following this thread and I am now unsure if I am doing things correctly. I have an Artic Glacier 343 US Gal. We are using a disposable filter. We have a Nature2 Spa Purifier and an Ozone unit. Basically I have been adding about 2 - 2.5 OZ of some 56% Dichlor made by Brilliance once a week and 1/2 oz per person of Brilliance Oxidezer after each use. On a weekly basis I have also been adjusting (mainly UP) the PH and TA levels. The TA level seems to have stablized and I have not hade to mess with it but the PH level seems to always be low.

My question after reading through the other thread seems to be around when and how much Dichlor to add. It sounded as if I should be adding the Dichlor after each use and not the Oxidizer. I am getting ready to drain the tub this weekend as the water has been in it for 4 months and has remained crystal clear. However if I am doing things wrong I want to find out now and get a fresh start with fresh water. :)

Greg

My question after reading through the other thread seems to be around when and how much Dichlor to add. It sounded as if I should be adding the Dichlor after each use and not the Oxidizer. I am getting ready to drain the tub this weekend as the water has been in it for 4 months and has remained crystal clear. However if I am doing things wrong I want to find out now and get a fresh start with fresh water. :)

Greg

Hi Greg,

I'm a newbie to this forum, but from what I've read here so far, it seems like the folks around here have a much higher opinion of stabilizer than I do, especially when it comes to spas. In general, the company I work for discourages the use of any form of chlorine that contains CYA for any home uses. The purpose of CYA is to slow down the destruction of chlorine by UV radiation from the sun. If you are required by law to maintain a residual disinfectant level in your pool or spa (i.e. if you're a hotel or health club, etc.) then that's one thing. But for home uses, CYA is totally superfluous and can only cause problems.

We like to use a two-part bromine system, because bromine works better at higher temeratures and because the combined form of bromine is also an excellent disinfectant.

However, if you love using the dichlor and you don't mind draining your spa every 6 months to get rid of all the CYA that's built up in there and is causing your chlorine to be useless, then have at it :-)