Patio Warmth

Wanna a tub

Well i too wanted an outdoor fireplace or a firepit by the tub. BUT after thinking about it, how long to get the wood going, then what do you do when you are done? We opted to buy an outdoor leeisure radiant propane heater from Lowes. I set it right by the steps, and when you get out you can towel off in front of it and be failry warm.

I bought one of those propane patio heaters, where the heater is up high, and is supposed to reflect down to keep the air warm. So far I'm unimpressed with it. A slight breeze blows the heat away, so the only warm area is 7 feet up in the air. I've placed my towels and robe next to it, and only the top edge of them get warm.

Now, I've only used it twice so far, so I don't have a lot of experience with it. Plus, it was a super cheap Home Depot special. So maybe a better quality one would do a better job.

I'm probably going to save up and buy one of the bernzomatic heaters. I think that design would be better for hot tub use.

I bought one of those propane patio heaters, where the heater is up high, and is supposed to reflect down to keep the air warm. So far I'm unimpressed with it. A slight breeze blows the heat away, so the only warm area is 7 feet up in the air. I've placed my towels and robe next to it, and only the top edge of them get warm.

Now, I've only used it twice so far, so I don't have a lot of experience with it. Plus, it was a super cheap Home Depot special. So maybe a better quality one would do a better job.

I'm probably going to save up and buy one of the bernzomatic heaters. I think that design would be better for hot tub use.

This is good information. I was considering purchasing one of the Home Depot propane patio heaters. I saw that they had a model on sale on Black Friday for $99. I was at HD yesterday, and they still had some left at that same price.

After your review, I'm hesitant about purchasing one. Do others have experiences (good or bad) with these types of patio heaters?

Thanks,

Ken

I bought one of those propane patio heaters, where the heater is up high, and is supposed to reflect down to keep the air warm. So far I'm unimpressed with it. A slight breeze blows the heat away, so the only warm area is 7 feet up in the air.

I just did some quick internet searching and found that none of these types of heaters works well in wind. Here are some excerpts I found from 3 different manufacturers:

...For patio heaters to perform at their peak shelter from wind is key...

...Circle of heat - 7’ diameter. (Will vary based on wind conditions, wind chill factor, Prevailing winds, location of heater, wind protection, etc.

...Do not use if the wind velocity is greater than 10 miles per hour.

I guess the key to these working well is to shield the area from wind as much as possible.

Ken

Both times that I've used mine, the temperature outside was about 10 degrees. There was a slight breeze, but I couldn't tell you if it was above 10 mph winds. My patio is on the southeast corner of my house, with the house on two sides, and a 6 privacy fence on the others. So it's somewhat sheltered. However, since I have a one story house, it's certainly possible that enough wind comes over the top of the house to blow the heat away.

Depending on your weather conditions, and location, for $99 it might be worth a try. You could probably resell it for that price on Craigslist.

I looked up reviews on the bernzomatic you gave the link for, people were really unhappy with it as well. You might want to check it out. It doesn't sound like it's any better than the one you have. I wonder if anyone has tried an old fashioned kerosene heater? They aren't pretty, but they could do the trick. We have one, so when I get a chance I'll try it out and see how it does.

I looked up reviews on the bernzomatic you gave the link for, people were really unhappy with it as well. You might want to check it out. It doesn't sound like it's any better than the one you have. I wonder if anyone has tried an old fashioned kerosene heater? They aren't pretty, but they could do the trick. We have one, so when I get a chance I'll try it out and see how it does.

Bummer :(

I haven't checked out any reviews of the bernzomatic. It just seemed like a good idea because of the larger heat source.

I tried a kerosene heater last year, and it was worthless. Unless I stood directly over it, there was no real benefit. (Now my kerosense torpedo heater is a different story. But it's so noisey)

I'm going to give my patio heater thing a little more time, and a few more tries before I write it off. I'm just disappointed, because I'm 6'5" tall, and I figured it would at least throw enough heat down to reach my chest. But as it is, it only keeps my head warm when I stand next to it. I guess I could try the patio heater, and the kerosene heater combined. But how much gas do I want to use every time I use my tub.

I think it's just going to be easier to run quickly into the house, and dry off in there.

Okay, after reading a few reviews on Amazon, I noticed this heater.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005LEX...GABEE1JZEB3GHCG

It's a simple tank top heater, that people often buy to heat fish houses or garages. I wonder how it would work around the hot tub? I may have to see if anyone I know has one. It could be worth a try.

Well i too wanted an outdoor fireplace or a firepit by the tub. BUT after thinking about it, how long to get the wood going, then what do you do when you are done? We opted to buy an outdoor leeisure radiant propane heater from Lowes. I set it right by the steps, and when you get out you can towel off in front of it and be failry warm.

Here is the link! http://products.desatech.com/product_info....products_id=654

Here is the link! http://products.desatech.com/product_info....products_id=654

Mike, I think we looked at that heater. Does it heat on all four sides or just one? Could you tell us about how far out the heat radiates?

Some physics might help here.

Radiant heat travels at the speed of light - or close to it - and acts a lot like a spot light does. Imagine using a heat lamp - things you aim it at get hot, things it can't shine directly on do not. That is how a radiant patio heater will work: aim it at the things or people you want warm. It will warm whatever is in front of it, but the heat distributes like light from a lamp. And if somebody steps in front of it, they will shadow the others and steal the heat. Wind generally does not interrupt this effect, but wind can instantly cool the objects the heater is trying to heat - people or things. Wind can cool much faster than these heaters can heat.

Radiant heaters should be set at the hight you want the most warmth - the tank-top heaters shown in the links above would work great for focusing heat right where you want it by setting them on a table or other safe item to get them up right where you want them. The big canopy style heaters put out lots of heat, but it is spread pretty thin over a larger area. They work best if they are set up and run for some time before people come on the scene: they can warm surfaces and seating up so people are more comfy as they come out and sit down. Standing under one to get or stay warm can be frustrating as you only get warm up top. Feet and lower extremities stay icy.

Convection heaters put out hot air and of course, hot air rises above cold air. So in an outdoor setting, convection heaters will let their heat escape upwards and do little good, unless they put out so much that you can stand in the hot air and get warm before it goes up and away.

An open fire does both - if you stand near it the side of you facing the fire gets hot while the other side of you stays cool. The heat rising off the fire is clearly visible as smoke, and you can see it going up and away. Put your hands over a fire and feel the hot air rising, but get close and the smoke gets in your eyes. A fire can be stoked up large enough to heat the patio furniture while you are in the tub - this is radiant heat at work - so that when you get out you can flop down in the patio furniture and be warmed on the back from the furniture and on the front from the fire.

Gas fire pits generally don't have enough power to really heat up an area - they are mostly decorative, although on a mild evening the radiant heat might be all one needs to stay out and enjoy the evening. And they are fun for s'mores and hot dogs.

B)