Geminids Meteor Showers

Chas

Well, my fist time in the spa since back surgery went well - and I wouldn't have missed it:

My daughter and I sat and watched the Geminids meteor showers.

We were in the tub at around 10 PM local time, and we saw around 20 'shooting stars.' That's not bad at all since we live in town in a light-polluted area.

But to be able to get a good show like that, and to enjoy it from the spa, with my daughter who is going off to college $oon, was about 'as good as it gets.'

Hope you all had a fine evening too.

B)

I can't wait until the next one!

The Leonids were good a couple of years ago - but I forgot about them this year. If I remember correctly they peak in November, so I might not have been able to get out and see them anyway.

But go to Sky and Telescope - they offer a free star finder which you can customize to your location. My daughter and I like to check it out before we go out to sit in the tub so we know what constellations will be overhead.

B)

I can't wait until the next one!

The Leonids were good a couple of years ago - but I forgot about them this year. If I remember correctly they peak in November, so I might not have been able to get out and see them anyway.

But go to Sky and Telescope - they offer a free star finder which you can customize to your location. My daughter and I like to check it out before we go out to sit in the tub so we know what constellations will be overhead.

B)

Thanks Chas! I will check it out.

Hey I saw *stars* in the hot tub too last night... it was cloudy, and I live by the mall parking lot... <nudge~wink> no seriously though this is a great thread. Thanks for all the great links! Now I know what mural to paint on the back wall of my house... a constellation map. All jokes aside, we get in first thing in the morning when it's still dark and watch the sunrise build and stars fade. What a great start to your day. The folks behind us are famous for their fireworks and we can't wait to sit sipping champagne Jan1 in our hot tub enjoying the fireworks (no double entendre intended) Oh and I did see the shooting stars and I don't live by the mall... and I hope the stars and fireworks chatter wasn't TMI.

Chas congrats on capturing some final quality time with the youngster. Times like that you will hold dear as she moves closer to creating her own new as-yet-undiscovered family and painfully less of "daddy's girl". Tender times like that will temper the more difficult times to come like when she brings home Skippy-the-tatooed-and-body-pierced beloved :wub: for Thanksgiving... lemme give ya a little forum Man Hug there bro ...{{Chas}} It'll be alright... thanks for sharing.