Cold Out No Heat! Help!

tellit

I have a Watkins/Caldera, highland series spa, purchased new in '04. Last year around october the spa had no heat and there were three l.e.d.'s flashing on the panel indicating the pressure switch was tripped, changed the filter & all has been fine until now, same problem except, filter is new, pressure switch tests o.k. and there is about 120v at each post on the heater. Any advice on where to go now would be much appreciated. :unsure:

I have a Watkins/Caldera, highland series spa, purchased new in '04. Last year around october the spa had no heat and there were three l.e.d.'s flashing on the panel indicating the pressure switch was tripped, changed the filter & all has been fine until now, same problem except, filter is new, pressure switch tests o.k. and there is about 120v at each post on the heater. Any advice on where to go now would be much appreciated. :unsure:

Do these simple steps first:

Check both breakers in sub panel - turn them off, wait, then back on.

If not, then this:

Power off

Chemically clean the filter (use an 'Instant Filter Cleaner' or similar, don't just rinse)

Filter back into spa

Power on

I recently had a similar problem with the three line led display and the heater off. The dealer indicated that there was a batch of faulty underwater spa lights. I quick swap out of the light fixed the proble. My spa is a 2007, but maybe the fix would be similar. Ask your dealer.

Tony

If it is the spa light, I think you can

turn off power to spa

open spa access and

open control box

unplug the light from the control box

close up spa

repower.

I think this will get you running again - obviously without the light, but I think heat is a bit more important right now.

B)

Thank you very much for the replies. I have checked and cycled the breakers, I originally tried to clean the filter chemically of course, but those did not work. However, I do have the mystic l.e.d. lighting option on my spa, is that what you are refering to? I will definately check that. Also, I checked the water temp. this morning and it is no lower than it was last night, 78 deg F, stange? It has been around freezing here, at least for a week. My local dealer no longer has a good reputation and I cannot find another one in my area at this time. Keep the advice comming, Please. I will keep you posted as things progress.

Thank you very much for the replies. I have checked and cycled the breakers, I originally tried to clean the filter chemically of course, but those did not work. However, I do have the mystic l.e.d. lighting option on my spa, is that what you are refering to? I will definately check that. Also, I checked the water temp. this morning and it is no lower than it was last night, 78 deg F, stange? It has been around freezing here, at least for a week. My local dealer no longer has a good reputation and I cannot find another one in my area at this time. Keep the advice comming, Please. I will keep you posted as things progress.

on thr gecko pack the trhee flahing dots is a flow problem. I had this problem a ca couple of spas. If you have a 24 hr circ pump on your spa you may want to check the mazzi injector. if it is plugged it will not allow the water to flow as needed.

on thr gecko pack the trhee flahing dots is a flow problem. I had this problem a ca couple of spas. If you have a 24 hr circ pump on your spa you may want to check the mazzi injector. if it is plugged it will not allow the water to flow as needed.

No, it does not have a 24hr circulation pump. Are you refering to the Ozone injector? I'm not sure what Mazzi injector is, unless thats only on a 24hr circulation model. Thank you very much for your help.

The mystic led light is what I found was the cause of my problem. As Chas suggested, you can unplug the light to see if that fixes the problem. Turn off the breaker, follows the light wire from the tunnel where it is installed into the tub to the power box. Take the cover off the box and there shouod be two plugs to unplug. After unplugging it and before putting everything back together, turn the break on to see if the pump and heater start. When I unplugged my light, the spa started right up.

Tony

TonyF, O.k., I tried disconnecting the light and no luck, but Thanks for the tip, I'll try anything at this point.

rickj, I have tried running it without the filter before without sucsess.

The wierd thing is, it still remains at about 80 deg F, it has not changed, (except when I open the top it goes down a little), but seems to go back to 80 after a while. That has to be the heater working, right? I really need to soak and I am desperate, along with not wanting to lose my tub. Anything else?

Thanks to all of you!!!

You need a tech..

Thank you, unfotunately that is not possible at this time. A service call is $150.00 to start and then every hour after that....Ouch and people think Auto Techs are expensive. It has been a slow season (for everyone I'm sure) and I have not had a good paycheck in about 6 weeks and my savings are running low. I guess I'll just have to drain and winterize it untill there are better times. Thank all of you for responding I really appreciate it. Merry Christmas, (or equivalent), I hope.

O.k., it has been almost a week now and the tempurature has not gone below 80F? I was going to drain and winterize, but it stays at that temp., I must be missing something. I am quite handy and have an unlimited supply of tools. I have tried to find electrical diagrams etc..... with no luck. I am going to try replacing the temp sensor tonight as a trial. If anybody has any other suggestions I am all ears!!! Thank you. :wacko:

I am quite handy and have an unlimited supply of tools. I have tried to find electrical diagrams etc..... with no luck. I am going to try replacing the temp sensor tonight as a trial. If anybody has any other suggestions I am all ears!!! Thank you. :wacko:

You could call the manufacturer's cutomer service line and see if they have any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem with my Gulf Coast spa. I called the Gulf Coast service line and they led me through some steps to check on the source of the problem. They eventually told me to check the voltage on the terminal blocks between the two heater element terminals. There was none. They told me that I need to replace my spa pack!! (over $600!) :o

I am quite handy and have an unlimited supply of tools. I have tried to find electrical diagrams etc..... with no luck. I am going to try replacing the temp sensor tonight as a trial. If anybody has any other suggestions I am all ears!!! Thank you. :wacko:

You could call the manufacturer's cutomer service line and see if they have any advice.

• 2 weeks later...

O.K., the results are in. Thank you to everybody for trying to help. It turns out that the 17 year Cicada was to blame. Somehow, they got into the spa and clogged the suction screen causing low flow, now I use this tub weekly and have never seen them in the water before, but thats what I found, besides, they haven't been around since August and I've used the tub many times since then. The spa works great now that I cleaned it out, and we've had below freezing temps.

Chalk that one up for mother nature. Thanks again.

It turns out that the 17 year Cicada was to blame. Somehow, they got into the spa and clogged the suction screen

Ooh! That's what I was going to say next!

B)