Setting Up In Freezing Temps..

divingfiji

My new tub is scheduled for delivery next week. Cement will be poured this Wednesday. My concerns... Temps for Wednesday are mid-30's high to mid 20's low. Any problem with the freezing temps on the freshly poured concrete? Contractor says no. He also says allow 3-5 days for cement to cure prior to placing tub on it. Sound good?

Then, next week for tub delivery, temps are dropping further. Upper teens high, single digit lows -- pretty much all next week. Are there any issues I should be aware of for setting up new tub in sub-freezing temps? The dealer is delivering and performing complete set-up. I'm so excited, but I wish the weather would have held out in the 40's another week or so... ;)

Thanks for any advice on this.

There shouldn't be any problems with pouring concrete in the cold. The concrete guys usually have a special mix for cold weather. Plus, they may use a heated blanket or something to help the concrete dry and cure. Listen to your contractor, it sounds like he knows what he's doing.

I'm sure the dealer has delivered and installed many tubs in the cold, so they should know what needs to be done. About the only thing I would worry about is whether there is any water in the system when the tub is delivered, and if you are getting the electrical hooked up immediately. As long as the tub is dry, it can withstand freezing temps. Then, once you have electrical, you can fill the tub and fire up the heater. Shouldn't have any problems.

The biggest issue you have to worry about is if there is water frozen in the wet end of the pump. In the winter I usaully bring the tub in the night before delivery and put a ceramic heater in the equipment area to ensure there will be no frozen equipment. If its a couple days b4 your electrician set up you may want to do this.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure the cement contractor will have it under control. I didn't mention before that the electrician is coming out Wednesday morning to run the electric before the concrete is poured. So the day the tub is delivered, electric is there and ready to "plug in". The tub is brand new, so I'm guessing there shouldn't be any water in the lines when it's delivered... :huh:

Since I'm completely new to all of this, I just wanted to be sure I'm doing everything correct! :D

Glad to see you have everything in order, I'm sure everything will work out fine. Is your new tub running on 110 v or 220v if it's 220v then it will normally be hard wired no plug in at the tub's box. keep us informed on how everything turns out and enjoy your first soak in the lower temp's. If you haven't already purchased or own a long length robe may I suggest one to you for the colder temp's, I just came in from a 28 degree soak with the tub at at 107 degree's felt great now enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see you have everything in order, I'm sure everything will work out fine. Is your new tub running on 110 v or 220v if it's 220v then it will normally be hard wired no plug in at the tub's box. keep us informed on how everything turns out and enjoy your first soak in the lower temp's. If you haven't already purchased or own a long length robe may I suggest one to you for the colder temp's, I just came in from a 28 degree soak with the tub at at 107 degree's felt great now enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Hi Mark,

Notice this post is a few months old. First of all, wondering about 107degrees? Thought most tubs limit at 104. (I am new to hot tubs, so don't know alot). Also, I live in Alberta Canada, so would be interested in your robe suggestion. Currently averaging about -10degreesF

Thanks for the info Mark. The tub is 220v, all hooked up now (as of 12/6), and I've been using it every day! Love it!! Temps around mid 20's here, and yes, I use my long robe to get in and out. Tub is just a few steps from the sliding door to the kitchen, so no worries.

Alan must be pushing springtime I guess. My original post was only 2 weeks ago, not 3 months. Thanks for the reply! :)