Operating Costs

Ok..., i just found this board and am really enjoying it. Bear with me if i missed this topic in the search field :unsure:

I'm in the beginning stages of wanting a inground concrete pool installed. Meaning I've spoken to no pool people yet.

What can I expect in monthly/annual costs of maintaining a pool. I'm in Charlotte, NC for regional differences...

costs for water consupmtion..., how much really evaporates???

costs of power to operate filters, pumps, etc????

costs of chemicals, filters, matertials to maintain????

costs to heat????

would love to hear thoughts out there....no idea on size yet. other, than i'd like a good 25ftX40-45fter... looking to spend 45-65k to include some scaping of plants and surface @ the pool. is this realistic?

Ok..., i just found this board and am really enjoying it. Bear with me if i missed this topic in the search field :unsure:

I'm in the beginning stages of wanting a inground concrete pool installed. Meaning I've spoken to no pool people yet.

What can I expect in monthly/annual costs of maintaining a pool. I'm in Charlotte, NC for regional differences...

costs to heat????

would love to hear thoughts out there....no idea on size yet. other, than i'd like a good 25ftX40-45fter... looking to spend 45-65k to include some scaping of plants and surface @ the pool. is this realistic?

Great Post! I'll be watching to see these answers. I live in So Cal and have the same questions.

costs to heat????

Well, you'll gain some extra expense. You have to consider the chemicals your particular pool will need. You'll also have to consider replacement parts if you have anything that will eventually wear out like a cartridge filter, DE or sand replacements when it comes time to have to change that out. If you have a mineral purfier like the Nature2 system you'll have to replace that every six months. Even with the Nature2 or other mineral purifiers you'll have to keep a certain level of chlorine in the pool and that will mean maintaining that level of chlorine that is recommended and shocking the pool when you have to deal with the combined chlorine that eventually builds up.

Mostly, your expense will be in buying chlorine, cleaning agents, and most ELECTRICITY!!! Yes, you're electric bill will definitely remind you that you have a pool in your yard. No pump out there can get you around that. I usually run my pool 8 hours a day during pool season and my electric bill is pretty close to doubled during that time and that is with a modern "efficient" 56 frame motor. Of course, if you let the filter get too dirty your bill will go even higher................

In a nuttshell...........you'll pay money. That is just the cold hard truth to having to maintain that much water to a certain extent as to keep it safe to swim in. Ask questions. Check out the prices for chemicals you'll need. Ask how much you'll normally need. Rule of thumb in this area is the more people you have in your pool the more you'll need to check and treat your water. Learn how to calculate how much electricity will cost you by looking at the wattage of the motor. Don't forget the pool light uses electricity too. If you're in rainy area you'll have to treat more often as well...........in dry areas you'll be replacing evaporated water.

man, I can go on and on.......but if you're willing to pay out the bucks and do a little work......you'll have the time of your life.

Sorry I couldn't give you a dollar amount but I hope I steered you in the direction to find out on your own.

Jerry.

Good luck.

costs to heat????

You are smart to consider operating/maintenance costs up front in the design of your pool. Most pool contractors do not consider them but walk away from their installation, check in hand. They you find out about the cost of your filtering. etc.

I've written an article about such costs and how to reduce them by 60-70%. If interested, I can email it to you if you will send a direct email request to me at ***.Zscheile@ATTGlobal.net. It is too long to post on this forum.

Some other variables that can affect things.........

What type of heater? Heat Pump or Gas

What size pump? 1 horse 1.5, 2?

Is it wire on 110v or 220v? (220 is more efficient)

Your intended swimming season. (may-sept? apr-oct?)

As for evaporation, Im in Va and our climates are pretty similar, it's not unusual around to lose as much as 1/4" of water a day through evaporation.

Also chemical costs can vary greatly. For example, Biquanide pools, I'd say, are usually 1.5-2x the maintenance cost of a chlorine pool in a season. Salt Chlorine Generators save you from having to purchase and handle chlorine but you do have the initial cost of the unit.

I hope some of this helps.