Baquaspa And The Brown "goo"

refjam

I've been reading this forum and the posts referencing the brown or tan "goo" which tends to form. I've had my spa now for a year and I have always been on BaquaSpa (quite happily). Using the "waterline control" product successfully results in no "goo" at the waterline (I've learned my lesson early on). However, now my filter tends to become gunked with what I believe is the same stuff. The interesting part is that I've been having more problems with this "goo" in the past few months than I did when the spa was new. In fact, even though I cleaned the filter throughly, the water started turning brownish only several days after this last time I drained and refilled the spa and the filter has already started accumulating the "goo" (though there's none at the waterline). I will try a new filter on the next drain/refill cycle but I hate to keep doing this at the $60 a pop for the 100 SF filter that my spa uses if this is the only solution. So, I have some questions I hope someone will be willing to answer:

Any ideas why would I be having this problem lately when I didn't have this problem 6-12 months ago? (I think I'm doing everything the same way I always have been.)

Could the tan or brown "goo" accumulating on the filter, and seemingly being dispersed in the water, be anything else besides the "goo" which is apparently prevalent with the BaquaSpa system?

Is there anything else I can check or do to reduce this tendency to develop the "goo"?

Thanks in advance !!

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I was told that IF your spa has a working ozonator, you shouldn't use Waterline Control as part of your BaquaSpa regimen.

Bigunide works by causing the bacteria cells to explode and that is what causes the brown goo. Bacteria can also develop an immunity to it much the same way they beocme immune to antibiotics. In a new setup the bacteria are killed very quickly. As they start to become immune they can reproduce more before they are killed, this can cause cloudy water and more goo. The purpuse of the peroxide is to burn up the orgainics from the dead bacteria but it reaches a point where it can't keep up.

FWIW, I was told that IF your spa has a working ozonator, you shouldn't use Waterline Control as part of your BaquaSpa regimen.

I also agree the use of the Waterline Control will help dramatically decrease the tan / brown goo that forms on your spa.

If you get heavy usage of your spa you may want to change the water every so often making sure to wash the empty spa really well.

Best,

opool

I am in no way even remotely in the same level of expertise as others on this board, but I asked the person at the pool supply store the same question, and this is what he told me and so far it has worked.

I put one of the scum bug sponges in, and it tends to end up by the filter and traps some of the "goo" before it goes into the filter.

Also, he told me to make sure to keep the sanitizer level at the low end of the range (close to 30). When it was higher is when I was getting the goo.

I have a question I was hoping someone could answer. I read that the waterline control is being discontinued. Does anyone know why, or if it is being replaced by anything?

Thanks!!

Jen

Thank you, Waterbear, for explaining "how" bigunide works. VERY informative! So, since the bacteria develops an immunity, that is why it's essential to change the tub water (AND thoroughly clean the tub walls before refilling) every three months. Does it make sense, then, come warm weather, to drain the tub, wash down the walls and somehow "flush" out the innards (fill up the tub and drain it, again) before the final fill?

I have to admit that when I've emptied the tub and refilled it, I've been "hasty" in cleaning the tub walls. Seems that, a really thorough scrubbing is in order, yes?

OPOOL. You are saying that it is okay to use Waterline Control even if the tub has an ozonator?

jencorr. I will try out one of those scumbug sponge thingies. And that is interesting about the relevance of sanitizer level to scum production. I did not know that.

Thank you, Waterbear, for explaining "how" bigunide works. VERY informative! So, since the bacteria develops an immunity, that is why it's essential to change the tub water (AND thoroughly clean the tub walls before refilling) every three months. Does it make sense, then, come warm weather, to drain the tub, wash down the walls and somehow "flush" out the innards (fill up the tub and drain it, again) before the final fill?

I have to admit that when I've emptied the tub and refilled it, I've been "hasty" in cleaning the tub walls. Seems that, a really thorough scrubbing is in order, yes?

OPOOL. You are saying that it is okay to use Waterline Control even if the tub has an ozonator?

jencorr. I will try out one of those scumbug sponge thingies. And that is interesting about the relevance of sanitizer level to scum production. I did not know that.

The less biguanide in the water the less it will break down bacteria and the less it can react with any residual chlorine in the water, hence the less goo formation. BTW, scumbugs work GREAT! (and work with bromine and chlorine too)

• 7 years later...

Hi, I'm new to using BaquaSpa. I was recommended by dealer to use Metal Control to help with the "goo". Any others have had luck with that?

Since the 'goo' is not from metals but from the normal action of biguanide (the chemical in BaquaSpa) on bacteria and the reaction it has with oxidizers in the water (chlorine in tap water) I don't see how using it can help anything except the bottom line of the dealer selling it to you.