Is this 2" flex pipe still repairable?

spageezer

Just purchased a new spa controller that requires new plumbing attachments into the pump and out of the controller.  The 2" flex pipe leading to both ends has hardened and shrunk to the point that installing the new controller with existing piping led to numerous leaking joints no matter how I tightened them.  So at least some of this hardened flex PVC has to go.  It's a 2003 Hawkeye spa.

Just cut out a section with a hacksaw and the sawdust it produced has me wondering if this hard pipe is even serviceable.  See attached image.  It resembles some old pool table rails I replaced where the rubber had become hard and brittle over the years.  The spiral reinforcement protrudes so that the outer surface is not smooth.  Can this still be glued into Schedule 40 PVC fittings with these spiral ridges?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Flex Pipe.jpg

Can the whole hose be removed and then replaced?  Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and others sell flexible reinforced PVC tubing (I use it on my above ground pool).  Plastic hose couplers are also available in different sizes, to use with hose clamps.

And I believe that standard PVC couplers can be glued to the end sections if you want to go that route. 

Definitely fixable.

21 hours ago, Cusser said:

Can the whole hose be removed and then replaced?  Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and others sell flexible reinforced PVC tubing (I use it on my above ground pool).  Plastic hose couplers are also available in different sizes, to use with hose clamps.

And I believe that standard PVC couplers can be glued to the end sections if you want to go that route. 

Definitely fixable.

Thanks for the reply Cusser.  I test fitted a 2" PVC Sch40 coupling on the end of the hardened hose and it seems to fit normally.  I've got two of these hoses that wrap around the bottom of the tub, one on the suction side and one on the pressure side.  Both are covered in foam on the opposite side of the pump.  I think I'll trim them both back a few feet and use couplings to splice in new hose.

I've already got new fittings for the pump and controller.  I need to shift the location of the pump a bit.  The pressure hose is wrapped over the pump and it is pinching the pump power cord.  That's probably trouble waiting to happen.

You can use standard 2-inch schedule 40 PVC plumbing fittings for repairs. Just watch out for the cellular-core 'PVC' pipe at big-box retailers. Cell-core will not handle the temperatures or pressures in a hot tub.

Use the purple primer. Oatey makes a pool/spa chemical resistant glue. It's called Rain-n-shine. The glue itself is blue. I used the stuff when I had to make repairs to my new-to-me '07 hot tub.