Question About Circulation Pump.

TinyBubbles

Here's a question for all you experts. My circulation pump does not run 24 hours a day, the way it is supposed to. The circ pump is only operating during filter cycles. I called my dealer and he sent someone out to check it out. The guy left a note saying circ. pump was operating fine. Well, he came out during a filter cycle, so yes, it was running. Called the dealer back, it was late Friday, he is supposed to call me back today. I am assuming that there is something wrong in the control box. The balboa control pack is supposed to support a 24 hour circulation pump. I noticed there is an area with switches that toggle between the on/off position. One of them says non/circ pump with filter. The switch is in the on position. I don't know if this is because I have a circ pump, or if it means the circ pump is set to run during filter cycles. Should I try changing this switch? Could the controller be faulty? Something plugged in the wrong slot? I'd love to have a better idea what I am dealing with, when I talk to the dealer. Thanks.

Here's a question for all you experts. My circulation pump does not run 24 hours a day, the way it is supposed to. The circ pump is only operating during filter cycles. I called my dealer and he sent someone out to check it out. The guy left a note saying circ. pump was operating fine. Well, he came out during a filter cycle, so yes, it was running. Called the dealer back, it was late Friday, he is supposed to call me back today. I am assuming that there is something wrong in the control box. The balboa control pack is supposed to support a 24 hour circulation pump. I noticed there is an area with switches that toggle between the on/off position. One of them says non/circ pump with filter. The switch is in the on position. I don't know if this is because I have a circ pump, or if it means the circ pump is set to run during filter cycles. Should I try changing this switch? Could the controller be faulty? Something plugged in the wrong slot? I'd love to have a better idea what I am dealing with, when I talk to the dealer. Thanks.

I think that is the way it is supposed to work actually. If i want mine on 24hrs i have to set the filtration cycle for continious (the ozone also runs as well). The main jets do come on once and a while intermittently especially during cold weather but not for very long. The circ pump seems to do a fine job of filtering the water. Also, the circ. pump will come on during heating cycles regardless if the filtration cycle is on or not.

I believe that you are right Dave. The problem is that this in not what my dealer is saying. When buying the tub and still today, they are telling me that it has a continuous circ. pump that should run no matter what. They tell me that the filter cycles should run the ozonator and purge the system. This is not how my spa is performing. I contacted balboa yesterday with a part number off the control system and they told me that the unit I have does not run a continuous circ pump. Balboa says what you are saying. The time the circ pump runs is programmed through the filter cycles. Now, basically, this is the same thing....6 or 1/2 dozen, either way I can make the circ pump run 24 hours a day if I wish. Except for one thing, the ozonator. If your only choice is to run the ozonator 24 hours a day if you want the circ pump running 24/7, isn't this going to greatly shorten the lifespan of the chip? I'll have to get my manual out again, but I think it said a chip would last about 7,000 hours. If you do the math, that comes out to less than one year. Right now, I have my circ pump running 10 hours a day, and my water quality is fine. From what I understand, it will be better in the summer that I can adjust it. My only final issue is that my waterfountain runs off the circ pump. This means if I'm sitting in the tub with the jets off, soaking in the peace and quiet, my waterfall won't come on unless it's a filter cycle.

Tiny,

I think one of the reasons the operation of the circ. pump has changed is because i think the newer circ. pumps are more powerful and can provide effective filtration. not sure. I also alternate my filter cycle between 16hrs and continuous depending on usage. I agree about the ozonator, i would proably leave my circ. pump on continuous indefinately if i knew i could control the ozonator to save the chip life. I am not sure about your waterfall since i do not have one, but it is interesting you say it only works when your filtration cycle is on. Because, the ozonator should not be running when you are using the tub. Check to see if the ozonator is off when the waterfall is on an you are using the tub, it should be off, even if the circ. pump is running. From what i understand the ozone gas is potentially a small hazard and should not be on.

If my circulation pump is on, then I am getting ozone. If I turn my jets on, the bigger pumps will run the fountain. Jets off, only way to run the the fountain is to have spa in a filter cycle, which means circulation pump and ozonator. I'm not too concerned about the health effects of ozone, although it is something I looked into. From what I understand, spas don't really generate that much ozone and it has a short half life. Of course, having said that, I wouldn't choose to sit directly over the jet that releases the ozone while it's running. In a perfect world, I could run my fountain without the spa being in a filter mode, which is what I thought I was getting.

In a perfect world, I could run my fountain without the spa being in a filter mode, which is what I thought I was getting.

I agree, i think you should be able to run the fountain while using the spa without the ozonator being on, the ozone can have a strong smell from time to time, at least i know i can smell it when first getting into the tub.

I'm usually incredibly sensitive to smells, but I haven't noticed an "ozone smell". Someone mentioned it smells like watermelons. The unit has a purple glow, so I'm assuming it's working.

hmm..i smell a stronger like disinfectant type smell. maybe i am not smelling the ozone maybe it is more the chlorine. dunno.