Need Some Advice

MGIII

I am thinking of having cutting into my deck ande placing a hot tub thruough it and placing it on the ground below. Deck is only about 3 feet off the ground. Do I need to do anything besides just cutting a hole in the deck. Also what type of hot tub is suggested for 3-4 people. Thanks

I am thinking of having cutting into my deck ande placing a hot tub thruough it and placing it on the ground below. Deck is only about 3 feet off the ground. Do I need to do anything besides just cutting a hole in the deck. Also what type of hot tub is suggested for 3-4 people. Thanks
You will have to pour a reinforced concrete pad where the tub will sit. You will also need access to the "front" side of the tub for maintenance. You should make some removable panels in the deck. See http://picasaweb.google.com/rminsk/Patio for an example.

• 2 weeks later...

Egbert- sweet job on the deck and tub install!!! Did you use composite decking or under-side mounting strips?

MGIII - I have a similar situation as yours, I removed the decking and joists, installed the tub, fit the joists back in place leaving an access panel on the control side of the tub as Egbert says. The panel is the entire width of the tub and approx. 2 feet deep. I made a cardboard template for the corners of the tub to cut the decking pieces before re-installing them. Luckily I already a fairly level cement pad underneath the deck.

You'll want to make sure the decking and especially any new end cuts are well treated with a sealer or preservative of some sort - they are likely going to see a lot of water in the future a could deteriorate if you don't. I sealed the joists around the tub as well.

One small problem I encountered is making sure there is enough clearance from the top of the tub to the top of the deck surface for a cover lifter - just keep that in mind. A couple other considerations are access to your drain and electrical connection if necessary.

Some photos of my install for what they're worth are here: http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd36/GG...otos/hot%20tub/

The only other thing would be to consider future repairs on your tub. Even if there is access to the front panel, a repairman could need access to the rest of the tub for repairs. You would be responsible for lifting the tub out of the deck if there is ever a need. We were going to do the same thing, but when spa shopping we encountered someone who's tub needed to be serviced and they were having to spend money to have the tub lifted out of the deck. We got scared and didn't do it. It does look really nice when the tubs are recessed though.

The only other thing would be to consider future repairs on your tub. Even if there is access to the front panel, a repairman could need access to the rest of the tub for repairs. You would be responsible for lifting the tub out of the deck if there is ever a need. We were going to do the same thing, but when spa shopping we encountered someone who's tub needed to be serviced and they were having to spend money to have the tub lifted out of the deck. We got scared and didn't do it. It does look really nice when the tubs are recessed though.

You could bridge the gap from deck to tub with completely removable sections as I did. Then you have access to all sides.

SummerDeck.jpg

Unless...................

Snow.jpg

What's that white stuff all over your yard???

(Just kidding - did my 7 year stint in New England.... fled to California, where the air doesn't try to kill you, but the ground does. Seems a fair trade.)

Got a couple inches on the ground now here in Northern Minnesota.

What's that white stuff all over your yard???

(Just kidding - did my 7 year stint in New England.... fled to California, where the air doesn't try to kill you, but the ground does. Seems a fair trade.)

Got a couple inches on the ground now here in Northern Minnesota.

Beautiful. Sounds delightful