Starting The Search

That was one big thing I did not like about the Sundance. I felt like I couldn't get the the jets that I wanted all working at the same time. The 2 back seats and the full footwell could not all be on together, and I felt like those 2 back seats would be the ones we would want to use the most. So, see how the diverters work. I find that a little confusing on all the spas, but I'm sure once I start using my Niagra, I'll get the hang of all of it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was one big thing I did not like about the Sundance. I felt like I couldn't get the the jets that I wanted all working at the same time. The 2 back seats and the full footwell could not all be on together, and I felt like those 2 back seats would be the ones we would want to use the most. So, see how the diverters work. I find that a little confusing on all the spas, but I'm sure once I start using my Niagra, I'll get the hang of all of it.

On my Maxxus I am able to run almost everything at the same time. It has 3 pumps and the air blower.

The therapy seat is unbelivable!

Okay.....wet test update! I tested 4 tubs tonight, and boy do I feel great! I will sleep like a baby tonight! Here are my personal observations:

Jacuzzi J480 -- Beautiful tub. Very classy. Extremely relaxing. Gentle massage. Stayed in the tub the longest of the 4. The salesman owns a Sundance Optima at his house. Loves it for therapy, but says he actually relaxes more sitting in the Jacuzzi -- less punishing, but still effective massage. Has to be (for me and my wife) the most comfortable lounger we've been in. Fit my body like a glove (I'm 5'11") and my wife liked it too (5'8"). She didn't float. The corner therapy seat felt great.

Sundance Maxxus -- Also very nice. Started out with the air pump bubbling, for the soft tissue therapy for a few minutes before kicking on the jets. Jacuzzi and Sundance both keep their neck jets under water, unlike some other manufacturers. I just scooted down a bit in the seat and still got a decent neck massage. Much quieter than the tubs with jets above the waterline. The Sundance was definitely a much stronger, somewhat harsh jet compared to the Jacuzzi. I didn't mind it, but my wife didn't like it at all (similar to Ivie's husband). I did like the variety of seating positions in both the J480 and the Maxxus. I thought the lounger in the Maxxus was okay. My wife floated in it.

Sundance Optima -- Similar to my experience in the Maxxus, but I liked the room to roam in the Maxxus. Wife didn't really care for it.

CalSpas -- I believe it was the SQ92. Neck jets were just okay. Didn't do anything enough for me to be real impressed after the Jacuzzi and Sundance.

Again, subjectively speaking -- I really enjoyed the J480. I'd put it up there with the Epic for the tub that worked the best for me. My wife and I had a long talk on the way home and after putting the kids to bed. I agree that I didn't like it enough to justify the $2,000 premium over the Marquis Epic. My wife loved the Epic best, hands down. So, tomorrow I start working the Marquis dealer hard, and my tradesmen harder. I'd love to soak before Christmas!!!

Do you have a Master dealer near you? I have one and I really like their neck jets. They are really strong and above the water. I'm not sure if you would be comfortable with that, but the do provide some splash protection. Definately wet test one if given the opportunity. It sounds like you have already been all over, but good luck in your search!

Slash, I don't know if I have a dealer nearby, but I subconsciously drew a line through any of the brands that i heard more than a few negatives on.......Besides, I am definitely done wet testing. Assuming I can get my buddies to do the prep work (although, it's snowing like crazy today), I want to buy within the next week.

• 5 weeks later...

We've had our grand cayman island tub for almost 3 years now and have had some frustration with it. The dealer no longer sells these tubs. Our first problem was the speakers in the tub went out and they are not covered so they were replaced at our expense and now the radio /player doesn;t work-no of it covered. We've had to replace the grey pillow like protection things a couple of times as they have ripped and the holder thigs break but our biggest most frustrating experience is with the white plastic holders that holds the jets into the tub. Over time they become brittle and the plastic clips break off and all of a sudden you have the jet and the units floating in your tub. They don't stay in anymore. So to replace them-at your expense-you have to be the entire unit silver holder and all-not just the defective white holder and they run over 10.00 a piece-we have 52 jets and started to replace them and have stopped. I have tried to contact artesian but the customer service is lousy. No help there.Never would I have ever thought to check that out. If you are looking for tubs keep this into consideration. If you talk to the dealer they say you have to ekkp your ph balanced- watch for calcium build up yadda yadda but we do all that and they still crumble and break. Has anyone else had the same problem and if so what did you do???Thanks...

All of the negatives I have heard about them surround their marketing not their product, but thats understandable. Either way good luck to you! As far as your buddies go I've always said a case of beer and a couple of soaks in the tub goes a long way.

I'm with slash... My Master Spa DownEast Exeter has the greatest neck jets. I'm confused how some people describe not being able to have all the jets on or having them be too powerful etc. My Master Spa (mid grade DownEast) jets all come on and are fully adjustable from zero to skin-peeling and the shoulder jet seat has the jets over your shoulders shooting down. If you are hurting from painting the living room etc. you can put all the jets on high and be beaten into submission in 60 seconds, or turn them individually just how you like.

I experienced the Sales mumbo-jumbo myself, but it's like buying a car... and all dealers are not alike. As a mater of fact I'm sure they're like snowflakes... but realize with the choice of spa you *will* be making a choice of who provides your service, so having some rapport with your dealer is a good feeling. It's like getting married... you can't just find a great gal with a crazy hooligan family... trust me on that one B)