Starting The Search

Just registered for this forum after enjoying everyone else's posts for the past month or so.

I live in the Chicagoland area and have multiple old injuries (and one new one) that have led me to getting serious about a spa.

The 3 makes I like (from reputation and feature perspectives) so far are: D1, Hot Springs & Caldera.

D1 -- I'm hoping to wet test the Chairman II & Amore' Bay this week. (I know they're worlds apart in price and features.)

Hot Springs -- Dry test only so far -- We like the Vista. Hoping to wet test this week. If we don't like the lounge, we may check out the Vanguard or Grandee.

Caldera -- Haven't narrowed down a model yet, but I like the look of the neck jets on their higher end spas.

Anyone have any perspective on these 3 makes -- or others?

Thanks to everyone that posts here -- it's very informative and helpful!

Mike

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just noticed Artesian, although I haven't done much research yet. The Hot Springs dealer sells those as well. They look nice. Maybe I'll arrange for a wet test of that when I go for the Hot Springs. We have a Jacuzzi & Sundance dealer. I liked Sundance and thought Jacuzzi was ok. My wife thought the skirt and diverter knobs felt "cheap" on the Sundance compared to Hot Springs & D1. She did like the looks of the foot well w/ its jets though. Marquis & Arctic are nowhere near me.

I think this week I'll try to wet test HS, D1, Caldera and Artesian. I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Wet tested Artesian Tahitian tonight, althogh we were looking to buy one of their larger tubs if we liked it.

Quite honestly, I thought it was okay --- nice & relaxing, but the seat with the neck jets was pretty weak.

My biggest therapy need is in my neck, and I could barely feel the effect of the net jets when I had them at their strongest setting.

My wife also floated out of the lounger.

This Saturday, I'll be wet testing Hot Springs Envoy & Artesian Piper Glen. Dry tested a Vanguard and Vista tonight from HS.

Hoping to get my D1 wet test in this weekend as well.

I'll keep you updated!

Wet tested Artesian Tahitian tonight, althogh we were looking to buy one of their larger tubs if we liked it.

Quite honestly, I thought it was okay --- nice & relaxing, but the seat with the neck jets was pretty weak.

My biggest therapy need is in my neck, and I could barely feel the effect of the net jets when I had them at their strongest setting.

My wife also floated out of the lounger.

This Saturday, I'll be wet testing Hot Springs Envoy & Artesian Piper Glen. Dry tested a Vanguard and Vista tonight from HS.

Hoping to get my D1 wet test in this weekend as well.

I'll keep you updated!

I think you meant that you wet tested the CALDERA Tahitian, not Artesian.

bohms, does the piper glen have a seat with the neck jets? I never looked at those. We have a seat in our captiva where the spa kind of comes out and wraps around your neck. When you open those jets up, they will really blast you. Two of the jets are the spinning helix jets and the other ones have alot of little jets inside them. I, usually, keep them turned down a bit. I carry most of my tension in my neck and shoulders, so I always spend time in that seat. Don't worry about your confusion, it's all overwhelming. For me, it's all about the wet test. You can stare at spas, step in and out of dry spas and talk to salespeople until your blue in the face. When you sit in one with the jets on, you'll know if it's right. Good Luck and happy hunting.

bohms, does the piper glen have a seat with the neck jets? I never looked at those. We have a seat in our captiva where the spa kind of comes out and wraps around your neck. When you open those jets up, they will really blast you. Two of the jets are the spinning helix jets and the other ones have alot of little jets inside them. I, usually, keep them turned down a bit. I carry most of my tension in my neck and shoulders, so I always spend time in that seat. Don't worry about your confusion, it's all overwhelming. For me, it's all about the wet test. You can stare at spas, step in and out of dry spas and talk to salespeople until your blue in the face. When you sit in one with the jets on, you'll know if it's right. Good Luck and happy hunting.

Tiny - you know...it kind of depends on who sits in what seat. My neck gets a really good massage in one seat and my husband's neck gets a really good massage in a different seat. So I guess it depends on your height. But no, we don't have what you describe. My problem area is my lower back and 3 of the corner seats do wonders for it. The 4th corner seat is considered a "king size" seat and it's the deepest seat and the water comes up to my mouth so I'm never really that comfortable in it and hardly spend any time in it. Tall and/or heavy men seem to like this seat the most!

We bought a soft seat and I guess we are going to get another one. We both really enjoy it. It's got a foam cushion in it and you put water in it to make it the right size for you. With it, you are able to enjoy all seats and you also get hit in different spots. That reminds me to see if I get find it online a little cheaper.

We bought a soft seat and I guess we are going to get another one. We both really enjoy it. It's got a foam cushion in it and you put water in it to make it the right size for you. With it, you are able to enjoy all seats and you also get hit in different spots. That reminds me to see if I get find it online a little cheaper.

We were going to buy one of those a while back and just never got around to it. I think I would really like that king size seat if I had one of those!

Okay, since my last post, we wet tested 3 more tubs.

HS Envoy -- Very nice tub! My wife floated out of the lounger, and I thought that the lounger was "just okay". But we both liked the Moto Massage there. I think we both decided that if we end up going HS, we're going to look at Vanguard, or probably even the Grandee. You gain a cool-down seat if you lose the lounger, as well as a 2nd Moto seat. I did very much like the neck jets on the moto massage seat.

Artesian Grand Bahama -- Not bad! I didn't like the lounger at all, but my wife liked it better than in the Envoy. Neck jets were pretty good on the one corner seat. And if I'm not mistaken, you gain another neck jet seat if you move to the Grand Cayman without the lounger. The other seats weren't quite as good as the Envoy, but for the money (They have a 44 jet model at $4999) it's a very nice tub.

Artesian Piper Glen -- Bohms talked me into testing it! The model we had included the stereo. The pop-up speakers sounded much nicer than the built-in models in the Grand Bahama, I thought. No lounger -- which is the way we were leaning. Love the ability to control each seat individually. I have to say though, for me the tub was a little softer on therapy. My wife liked it, but I have serious neck issues, and didn't feel quite strong enough a massage. And at approx. $13,000, I would have had to really fall in love with it.

On to test D1 Chairman II and Amore' Bay this weekend! I'll keep you posted.

Artesian Piper Glen -- Bohms talked me into testing it! The model we had included the stereo. The pop-up speakers sounded much nicer than the built-in models in the Grand Bahama, I thought. No lounger -- which is the way we were leaning. Love the ability to control each seat individually. I have to say though, for me the tub was a little softer on therapy. My wife liked it, but I have serious neck issues, and didn't feel quite strong enough a massage. And at approx. $13,000, I would have had to really fall in love with it.

On to test D1 Chairman II and Amore' Bay this weekend! I'll keep you posted.

Parrothead - I'm glad you gave it a shot! Sorry it wasn't tough enough on your neck! If you really want to get blasted by the jets, turn off the jets on the seat next to it and it makes the jets in the corner seats even more powerful...this is way too powerful for me, but my husband does it from time to time. 13K is crazy....11K is more like it....I think I told you I paid 10K, no stereo last year.

I'm glad you gave it a shot.....keep wet testing.....you'll find the right one!!!! Keep us updated!

Tinybubbles, I'm with you. After wet testing, we'll probably go without a lounger.

Bohms, they did have it at about 11K advertised, but if you went with the cover, lifter, steps, etc. (and the model they have on the floor has the stereo w/ CD player) it was approx. $13K.

Actually, the two corner seats on the D1 Amore' Bay look like a nice compromise between lounger and not. And other than those 2 corner seats, the rest of the tub is pretty much barrier free "bench" type seating. Hoping to try that tomorrow or Monday.

thestallion, I found an epic dealer about 45 miles away. Drove out there and wet tested an Epic.

My wife and I both enjoyed it quite a bit. It's right in the same price range as the HS tubs we're looking at.

I think HS & Marquis are in the lead, with D1 to be wet tested this week. Couldn't get in a wet test with them this weekend.

Anyone up on the current prices paid for an Epic around here?

Okay. My wife and I finally were able to wet test the D1's. We tested a Chairman II outside (first outside soak, and I can now see why you say it's getting into the best time of the year to soak -- It was awesome!) and an Amore' Bay inside. I did like the neck jets on both models. The lounger in the Chairman is the first that I actually felt very comfortable in, although my wife floated quite a bit. We weren't real fond of the diverter valve set-up. We didn't feel like we could use more than a couple of seats effectively at a time. To use the one corner seat, you'd be taking pressure mostly or totally away from the other corner seat. We liked the dynamic sequencer, but didn't find the variety of jet configuration that we enjoyed in the Marquis Epic or the HS Vanguard/Envoy/Grandee. On the Amore' Bay, we did enjoy the "his and hers" UltraLounges (nice compromise between lounger and none), but found the "bench type horseshoe shaped" seating area pretty boring -- not much flexibility in jet configuration again. Great looking spa. Looks like good quality/fit & finish. Did not think it was nice enough to justify the $13,000 they're asking for the spa. $9700 requested (no haggling yet) on Chairman, and they're selling their demo (been outside for almost 2 years) for $6000.

At this point, my wife and I are both in agreement that -- for us -- we like the Marquis Epic best. My wife puts HS Grandee at #2, while I put D1 (either Chairman or Nautilus) right up there with HS for #2. We haven't gotten an exact price on the Epic. The dealer indicated "the 9's" and I didn't care to narrow him down until I finished wet testing.

Wet testing is finally done! I think based on my wife's preference (putting D1 at #3), I'll start negotiating with HS & Marquis and see who gives me the best deal. Anyone care to chime in on what they paid for an Epic or Grandee?

Okay. My wife and I finally were able to wet test the D1's. We tested a Chairman II outside (first outside soak, and I can now see why you say it's getting into the best time of the year to soak -- It was awesome!) and an Amore' Bay inside. I did like the neck jets on both models. The lounger in the Chairman is the first that I actually felt very comfortable in, although my wife floated quite a bit. We weren't real fond of the diverter valve set-up. We didn't feel like we could use more than a couple of seats effectively at a time. To use the one corner seat, you'd be taking pressure mostly or totally away from the other corner seat. We liked the dynamic sequencer, but didn't find the variety of jet configuration that we enjoyed in the Marquis Epic or the HS Vanguard/Envoy/Grandee. On the Amore' Bay, we did enjoy the "his and hers" UltraLounges (nice compromise between lounger and none), but found the "bench type horseshoe shaped" seating area pretty boring -- not much flexibility in jet configuration again. Great looking spa. Looks like good quality/fit & finish. Did not think it was nice enough to justify the $13,000 they're asking for the spa. $9700 requested (no haggling yet) on Chairman, and they're selling their demo (been outside for almost 2 years) for $6000.

At this point, my wife and I are both in agreement that -- for us -- we like the Marquis Epic best. My wife puts HS Grandee at #2, while I put D1 (either Chairman or Nautilus) right up there with HS for #2. We haven't gotten an exact price on the Epic. The dealer indicated "the 9's" and I didn't care to narrow him down until I finished wet testing.

Wet testing is finally done! I think based on my wife's preference (putting D1 at #3), I'll start negotiating with HS & Marquis and see who gives me the best deal. Anyone care to chime in on what they paid for an Epic or Grandee?

We wet tested the epic yesterday. The dealer quoted us $9000 for an instock spa.