Return From China, Pool A Mess

Cougar

I just returned from a trip to China. While I was there my elderly parents decided they would close out their pool. From what they told me, the pool was full of algae. They had dumped a whole quart of the blue copper-based algaecide into the pool without premixing. I'm certain they are going to need a metal cleaner of some sort to get rid of the copper. Can any of you give me some pointers on this high copper problem and winter closing of this pool? It's a 32X16 vinyl /w L-steps (about 21,000 gal).

Take the water to get tested. Is the pool still full of water or is it at winter levels??

The biggest thing is circulation to clear up the algae. It better to address the issue now than to leave it till spring where it will cost you alot more to correct your pool.

TA is at 120. Chlorine at 3.

I took care of the chem balance before I went on my trip but I've never closed the pool before so consider me a noob. What is 'winter levels'? Is that just below the returns? Or just below the skimmer? Note, the pool is in South Carolina where there are few sub-freezing days. Also, what do I do about that high copper content? Did they do any harm by dumping the whole quart of that blue copper-based algaecide straight into the pool?

It wont do a whole lot with the pool not circulating. If you want to clear up your pool return the water to normal operating height let the pool circulate shock the pool vac out the dead algae on waste. Then drain your pool to your winterizing level which can either be below the skimmer or returns depend if you blow out the returns properly while they are submerged. The easiest way is to bring the water below the returns blow them out and plug them as well as the skimmer. If you have a maindrain be sure thats blown out as well.

It wont do a whole lot with the pool not circulating. If you want to clear up your pool return the water to normal operating height let the pool circulate shock the pool vac out the dead algae on waste. Then drain your pool to your winterizing level which can either be below the skimmer or returns depend if you blow out the returns properly while they are submerged. The easiest way is to bring the water below the returns blow them out and plug them as well as the skimmer. If you have a maindrain be sure thats blown out as well.

The pool IS at operating level. I was unclear as to what the 'winter water level' line. I am still in the dark about what to do about the high copper content and water chemistry for winterizing.. I may be a noob on winterizing a pool but I do know water balance/chemistry must be taken care of first. Also, there is no main drain. Just an in-wall skimmer and three returns.

ok Start up your pool get rid of the Algae the whole bottle wont hurt the pool. Once you get that all cleared up and levels on the high range you will drain the pool below your jets. Then you will take a high powered shopvac and blow out the lines from the equipment end. You will then plug the lines after you got all the water out. You will also blow out the skimmer line from the equipment area then suck the rest of water from the skimmer. plug the hole with either a Gizmo or a winter plug. Be sure to cover your skimmer lid with something so water doesnt get inside. Then throw on your winter cover.

ok Start up your pool get rid of the Algae the whole bottle wont hurt the pool. Once you get that all cleared up and levels on the high range you will drain the pool below your jets. Then you will take a high powered shopvac and blow out the lines from the equipment end. You will then plug the lines after you got all the water out. You will also blow out the skimmer line from the equipment area then suck the rest of water from the skimmer. plug the hole with either a Gizmo or a winter plug. Be sure to cover your skimmer lid with something so water doesnt get inside. Then throw on your winter cover.

what if I don't have access to a shop vac?