Buying A Spa From A Dealer. What Is The Downside?

I spoke to a customer who said he has purchased 5 spas online and stated he would never purchase one from a dealer, because he doesn't take any crap from anyone. He refused to answer any of my questions and walked out the door. First off, I really don't understand why he took the time to come in my store to tell me that. Secondly, I only see a customer purchasing a spa from a dealer because they value their peace of mind. What would be some valid reasons for a consumer to avoid a dealer supported spa purchase other than buying a spa that will be less expensive upfront?

I spoke to a customer who said he has purchased 5 spas online and stated he would never purchase one from a dealer, because he doesn't take any crap from anyone. He refused to answer any of my questions and walked out the door. First off, I really don't understand why he took the time to come in my store to tell me that. Secondly, I only see a customer purchasing a spa from a dealer because they value their peace of mind. What would be some valid reasons for a consumer to avoid a dealer supported spa purchase other than buying a spa that will be less expensive upfront?

Why oh why did you have to ask that, this is going to be longer than the circ pump thread you big fairy.

I think that a lot of people have reached a point where they don't want to have to deal with salespeople insulting other companies and each other and any brand that isn't theirs. As a consumer... most "salespeople" turn me off simply because of this. A showroom (dealer) is going to have salespeople in it. This simple fact will stop some folks from even walking in the door. I've seen "the plan" that couples will make with each other before stepping in. Reading lips I'll see:

husband- "Ok honey, we're going in just to look and if they ask us that's all we are going to say so they will leave us alone"

wife- "Sounds good. If they walk up to us a start spewing a bunch of information we don't want to hear, I'll ask to use the restroom and distract them."

husband- "If that doesn't work, I'll pretend to get a leg cramp that won't go away and we'll leave for the emergency room. You don't have your wallet on you do you?"

wife- "Yes, I left the wallet in the car! Do you think I've lost my mind? Ok. I'm so glad we have a plan. Do you think it will work?"

husband- " I hope so. Those sales people are pretty crafty. They will be a smooth talker who can come up with any lie to answer any question just to take our money. What ever happens- DON'T BUY ANYTHING! Just tell them we will think about it."

wife- " I will sign NOTHING my dear! I love you hunny bunny."

husband- " I love you too hunny bunny."

And that is evident by the cold shoulder before I even say "hello". This is precisely why I like to call myself something "other" than a salesman. Not just because I'm a woman- :) - but because that word has begun to turn people off (myself included). Thank GOD for the internet! People are becoming educated and aware of the "sales tricks". I really hope that this continues! I'm all for it. But... if I can give one word of advice... not all dealers/ showrooms are going to have "salespeople" in them- at least not in the sense of the old technical definition. There really are a handfull of people in that postion that are genuine, care about what you want and won't try to talk you into something to sooth their own pocketbooks. You may have to look for them. So, why not? If you do find a dealer close to you that will pay attention to your needs and be there to serve only you... it is the way to go in my opinion.

I think that a lot of people have reached a point where they don't want to have to deal with salespeople insulting other companies and each other and any brand that isn't theirs. As a consumer... most "salespeople" turn me off simply because of this. A showroom (dealer) is going to have salespeople in it. This simple fact will stop some folks from even walking in the door. I've seen "the plan" that couples will make with each other before stepping in. Reading lips I'll see:

husband- "Ok honey, we're going in just to look and if they ask us that's all we are going to say so they will leave us alone"

wife- "Sounds good. If they walk up to us a start spewing a bunch of information we don't want to hear, I'll ask to use the restroom and distract them."

husband- "If that doesn't work, I'll pretend to get a leg cramp that won't go away and we'll leave for the emergency room. You don't have your wallet on you do you?"

wife- "Yes, I left the wallet in the car! Do you think I've lost my mind? Ok. I'm so glad we have a plan. Do you think it will work?"

husband- " I hope so. Those sales people are pretty crafty. They will be a smooth talker who can come up with any lie to answer any question just to take our money. What ever happens- DON'T BUY ANYTHING! Just tell them we will think about it."

wife- " I will sign NOTHING my dear! I love you hunny bunny."

husband- " I love you too hunny bunny."

And that is evident by the cold shoulder before I even say "hello". This is precisely why I like to call myself something "other" than a salesman. Not just because I'm a woman- :) - but because that word has begun to turn people off (myself included). Thank GOD for the internet! People are becoming educated and aware of the "sales tricks". I really hope that this continues! I'm all for it. But... if I can give one word of advice... not all dealers/ showrooms are going to have "salespeople" in them- at least not in the sense of the old technical definition. There really are a handfull of people in that postion that are genuine, care about what you want and won't try to talk you into something to sooth their own pocketbooks. You may have to look for them. So, why not? If you do find a dealer close to you that will pay attention to your needs and be there to serve only you... it is the way to go in my opinion.

One of the main concerns of our (prospective) customers is Service. They want to know that they will be taken care of once they buy the spa (or pool). We are proud to tell them that we have certified technicians on our staff. I guess if they are internet buyers we wouldn't even know about them unless they call us for a part or something. We are a small family-owned company, we don't have high-priced, high pressure salespeople ready to pounce on the customer when they walk in the store. I guess I thought all spa stores were like us, it never would have dawned on me that the above scenerio would happen. But I guess I'm just naive. Or maybe I need to get out and "shop the compitiiton".

Amanda hit the nail on the head. People are tired of getting treated like walking cash boxes and being set upon by some sleazy, pushy ill mannered yahoo that only sees $$, there are alternatives. I don't even go to a lot to shop for a new car anymore. In the case of my last 2 auto purchases I only went to the dealer to order/pay and pickup the vehicle when it arrived, everything else was handled via email, including bargaining. I know not all sales people are like I have described, but all it takes is one to sour the whole experience.

NightRyder

Amanda hit the nail on the head. People are tired of getting treated like walking cash boxes and being set upon by some sleazy, pushy ill mannered yahoo that only sees $$, there are alternatives. I don't even go to a lot to shop for a new car anymore. In the case of my last 2 auto purchases I only went to the dealer to order/pay and pickup the vehicle when it arrived, everything else was handled via email, including bargaining. I know not all sales people are like I have described, but all it takes is one to sour the whole experience.

NightRyder

Buying a car is waaaaaaaaay easier than buying a spa! Consumers have more experience with cars. Buying a spa without seeing and/or testing first could be a "potential" disaster. Buying a car online would not.

NightRyder

You are right NightRyder... one can ruin it for the rest. I actually try a LOT harder to do the exact opposite to make up for any sour experiences people may have encountered in our industry. Most of the time, I can work through a protective wall just with giving someone the space and time they need to browse, being kind, and caring about a persons needs. Occasionally I'll say something to the effect of "It really doesn't matter to me wether you get this spa or another brand, as long as you are completely comfortable with your decision and know exactly what you are getting.", but it is not as "canned" as that. There are a rare few individuals that don't want kindness... coming in to "get the facts ma'am" and move quickly. I think it is important to be able to read people and pay attention to boundaries. So many people fail at this in the sales industry. That is exactly why people are moving towards the "computer" way of life in so many areas.

Buying a spa without seeing and/or testing first could be a "potential" disaster.

There must be a B movie in all that drama somewhere. How about "The Legend of Hell Spa" or "Nightmare on Elm Street XX - Freddie gets a Hot Tub" :P

Sorry..... Couldn't help myself....:blink:

NightRyder

Maybe the guy stormed out because he isn't used to human interaction. Can not see any down side to buying from a dealer. Some like the electronic, arms length, sit at the computer and whip out the credit card thing. I do it, but not for a purchase like that. The future may hold similar type purchases for us dealers. However, I can not advertise a price for a HS on the internet. If I could, each model would be up with a shopping cart. Sell on the internet, keep shorter hours at the store, my family would love it.

Maybe the guy stormed out because he isn't used to human interaction. Can not see any down side to buying from a dealer. Some like the electronic, arms length, sit at the computer and whip out the credit card thing. I do it, but not for a purchase like that. The future may hold similar type purchases for us dealers. However, I can not advertise a price for a HS on the internet. If I could, each model would be up with a shopping cart. Sell on the internet, keep shorter hours at the store, my family would love it.

This is a possibility he stormed out because of an inability to be in a social environmant but more than likley he received some type of feedback that didn't set well with him. I have seen too many times someone who comes in who has been "irritated" by their experience in searching for a spa.

I've heard more than once.."We had begun to think getting a spa was more trouble than it's worth. We were beginning to think about giving up the idea of even having one because of how we have been treated."

It (unfortunately) is true. Even in the forums, people can clearly see how so called "spa professionals" or "salespeople" treat each other. What would make someone think the dealers/ showrooms would be any different? To me, this is a BIG downside. But... try not to completely take dealers out of the equasion when looking for a spa for your home. There are many who will give you the shirt off of their back to help give you what you want and not only meet but exceed your expectations. Someone who is local and will care for your ongoing needs would be the BIG "up-side".

He might have exaggerated how many he has bought online and had the worst experience in his life buying one online. What kind of questions did you ask the man?

Here is a downside when you buy from the dealer...price...I bought mine at costco at half the price. Of course I did spend some time on the internet researching the spa.

Don't take it personal dealers, just stating a downside....Of course, there are positives and negatives from buying from dealers and internet.

Here is a downside when you buy from the dealer...price...I bought mine at costco at half the price. Of course I did spend some time on the internet researching the spa.

Don't take it personal dealers, just stating a downside....Of course, there are positives and negatives from buying from dealers and internet.

What brand did you buy from Costco oakrad? Worst case, if you have major problems, you can always take it back and then buy from a dealer next time if you decide that's important to you. I personally wouldn't buy a spa from Costco but I hope it works out for you.

What brand did you buy from Costco oakrad? Worst case, if you have major problems, you can always take it back and then buy from a dealer next time if you decide that's important to you. I personally wouldn't buy a spa from Costco but I hope it works out for you.

I think the days of the hard sell are fading fast, most sales people these days are truly there to help you make the right decision for YOU. Anyone from the old school of sales will not make much of a living with todays savvy customers.

I educate my consumers on what to look for in a quality spa or pool. I even refer them to my competitors, being honest and up front is the best sales tool you can use, lets face it, if the customer likes your product, but hates you, they probably will buy somewhere else. You have to sell yourself first.

I think the days of the hard sell are fading fast, most sales people these days are truly there to help you make the right decision for YOU. Anyone from the old school of sales will not make much of a living with todays savvy customers.

I educate my consumers on what to look for in a quality spa or pool. I even refer them to my competitors, being honest and up front is the best sales tool you can use, lets face it, if the customer likes your product, but hates you, they probably will buy somewhere else. You have to sell yourself first.

Yes establishing a relationship is a must and finding the needs or turning the wants into needs by probing questions.