Sales Training

It's not just lack of information that prohibits the final sale. More importantly, a consumer will not purchase if they can not determine value for the money. In our industry, it is a more difficult task due to the fact that most have never owned their own spa and have difficulty determining who has reinvented the wheel better!

It's the reason why many companies promote proprietary features that can't be found anywhere else.

There's 3 aspects to the sales process for a dealer and you need to at least one of these:

1) Be a "value priced" line undercutting most other dealers pricing

2) Promote your Brand with the understanding that there's value in it to "Joe Public"

3) Be positioned to sell a proprietary feature on your spas that can't be purchased anywhere else locally.

If you don't fit into any one of these categories, you are selling a product that does not stand apart from most other spas. That makes it very difficult for the prospect to see a value there and will limit the level of success of that retailer.

Steve

Definately! as everything on that spa has value. for instance if I were to mention that everyone of our jets are adjustable and my competitor fails to mention it, he missed an item that adds value (as small as it may be) I strongly believe in price integrity! too often I see salesmen in the industry giving away money to make a deal, instead of reitterating the value and reason for the higher costs. I strongly believe that if a salesman

knows that his product is worth what its tagged at and holds his ground and shows the value and reason for different costs, then your profit margins can stay stable without dropping your britches to buy a sale. Too often salesmen give away money to make a deal simply because its not their money they are giving, if a $500 drop will get the sale and theres nearly no penalty for the $500 to the salesman why wouldnt he give it away? If you take $250 of that $500 from the salesman how often will he drop? NEVER! Its all about integrity!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately! as everything on that spa has value. for instance if I were to mention that everyone of our jets are adjustable and my competitor fails to mention it, he missed an item that adds value (as small as it may be) I strongly believe in price integrity! too often I see salesmen in the industry giving away money to make a deal, instead of reitterating the value and reason for the higher costs. I strongly believe that if a salesman

knows that his product is worth what its tagged at and holds his ground and shows the value and reason for different costs, then your profit margins can stay stable without dropping your britches to buy a sale. Too often salesmen give away money to make a deal simply because its not their money they are giving, if a $500 drop will get the sale and theres nearly no penalty for the $500 to the salesman why wouldnt he give it away? If you take $250 of that $500 from the salesman how often will he drop? NEVER! Its all about integrity!

Some very good points there my friend. Everytime you drop in price, the value of the product reduces at the same rate. It's interersting to note that when it comes to negotiating (which I don't personally believe in) the salesperson will often discount price to gain the sale. Sometimes, they just want a rubber ducky to feel good.

Here's one other point about discounting. Teach your staff to offer product instead of discounting the price. This way, you can show greater value while maintaining your margins and it only costs you half the money.

Salespeople are generally on a commission structure of sorts. By discounting price, they certainly SHOULD BE effecting their income! All salespeople should be given the latitude to offer product to close the deal if asked but by allowing them to discount, you are pricing your spas higher than you need to in order to allow for this which can directly effect your overall sales every year.

My suggestion; post your price, be proud of it and hold the line. If someone wants to walk away feeling they aren't getting value, then at least they know you didn't overprice the spa to allow for negotitating. There's pride in that!

Lastly, if I go into a stereo store to buy some high end product and I'm quoted $2999 for the system and I begin to leave while the salesman is chasing after me with a lower price, I've lost all credibility in him as I feel he was trying to rip me off with the initial price. Make sense? ;)

Steve

HMMMMM I think so, so let me get this streight, if your stealing a stereo dont walk if they are chasing you?

J/K Of course your exactly right, I dont know how and when the spa industry became a swapmeet , but evidentally if you go out and shop its back and forth like a poorly run used car lot.

HMMMMM I think so, so let me get this streight, if your stealing a stereo dont walk if they are chasing you?

J/K Of course your exactly right, I dont know how and when the spa industry became a swapmeet , but evidentally if you go out and shop its back and forth like a poorly run used car lot.

There are certainly different levels of sophistication at the dealer level and it makes me wonder how many good dealers making decent profits could be GREAT dealers making a LOT of money? In my experience, other than the Beachcomber store I worked at, very few dealers fully understand the 4 keys elements to retail success. They are far too in-depth to cover here but they are:

1) Advertising

2) Sales Presentation

3) Product Mix

4) Display & Product presentation

I'm sure most will look at this and think, "We do all those things pretty well I think". It's always interesting to watch the faces of those who have received the complete presentation on this and realize just how comprehensive these areas can go and isolate the areas that we can all improve day to day.

It's all about positioning Spaman and understanding your market place and then making sure your staff are fully aware of how to present that. It's not difficult once the tools are there right?

Steve

Bonjour!

If you've ever shopped for window treatments, you know you can spend a bundle if you want to.

So my girlfriend and I are meeting with the window treatment guy, picking out the blinds and shades for my Long Island house.

A designer turned us on to some new cool roller shades that keep the sun out but still let light in and allow you to view the beautiful south bay. We asked the guy to give us a price on them.

Now, from previous experience I know that what goes on windows can cost a lot more than the windows themselves. Especially so in our case because of the size of some of our windows and sliding doors. So, I did research about the shades online and found prices. I was prepared for the meeting. Even had my laptop there if I needed to pull it up.

At the meeting he pulls out his estimate sheet and shows us his prices. Much higher than what I had found for the exact same product, from the very same manufacturer.

"WoW, that's a lot higher than what I found online," I said.

"Really, "he responded. "Where did you find them?"

"On a search engine online."

"I see. If you got them online, who is going to do the measurements for you to get them exactly right?"

"Uh, I dunno." That hadn't even crossed my mind believe it or not!

Until that moment.

Then I realized that I personally use "that's close enough" method of measuring things, and that "close" probably isn't good enough when it comes to window treatments. And then I'm picturing the other option: me trying to locate a window treatment measurer guy. Excruciating...

"And if they didn't fit, and you got them online, since they are custom made for your measurements, would you be able to send them back if they didn't fit?"

Me: "Well, ahh, probably not." Now I'm thinking about the agony of ordering the wrong size, and either having to live with it (not really an option), or eating the cost of the shade and having to order another.

"Would you be installing them yourself?"

"Ah, well, er, probably not." It would be less painful for me to get poked in the eye with a screwdriver rather than use one. That, and I would not have the slightest idea of how to do it anyway, even if I had a copy of Window Treatment Installation For Dummies, an instructional video, and two coaches.

"So, how would you get them installed?"

"I guess I'm not sure." At this point I'm thinking about the hassle of now trying to find someone else who would install them, arranging a time for them to show up, and getting ultimately pissed off when they didn't show up, which has better than a 50-50 chance based on my experience with installers and other contractors on this house so far.

He probably realized he had twisted the knife sufficiently and then hemorrhaging was adequate enough for his next statement:

"Look, I can't compete with online prices. What I can do is get these ordered and have them installed perfectly within four weeks. I'll guarantee my work and you satisfaction, and you won't have to do anything. Let's just do that."

"Good idea." Done deal!

SALES LESSON

Notice what this guy did NOT do:

* He did not fold like a cheap lawn chair and agree to meet the online price.

* He did not hem and haw and trip over his words.

* He did not use a Goofy Objection Rebuttal, such as, "I understand how you feel. Many others have felt the same way. But after they found what great service I provide, they paid me the higher price."

What he DID do:

He used the only really effective way to deal with objections, particularly price objections. (Actually, the best way to deal with objections is to PREVENT them from coming up in ther first place)

So what is it?

Ask questions.

Questions designed to first prompt them to doubt their beliefs, and let them think about the possible pain.

Then, as they go through the doubt process, the notion of, "Mabye he's right, there is a better way," forms in the objector's mind.

That, combined with the hurt they're feeling helps them reach the conclusion that your option is indeed better. So when you mention it again at the end, it's much more likely to be accepted and acted on.

WHAT TO DO

Take the objections you hear. Brainstorm for why people state them. List out all the advantages of doing business with you, and the disadvantages of the objection they state. Then rack your brain to come up with questions designed to get them thinking differently. Just like the window treatment guy did.

Added Note On Preventing the Resistance

He might have prevented the price issue from even arising if he had built more value in earlier conversations. Such as by asking some of those questions in advance. For example, "I'm assuming you'd want us to install these as well, right?" That likely would have gotten me talking about how inept I am with tools, and would have given him the opportunity to point out how he would measure, install, and guarantee everyting, something you can't get with online discounters.

I wouldn't have ever considered going online to look for prices.

I believe that its not the how but the what you apply,

I think also that it is "WHY" as well. So many salespeople are selling to meet quotas.. personal goals...and to fill their pocket books. I know this is a strange concept to many but I really believe you can do just fine by having the "consumers" needs as your primary reason to sell. Much sales advice/tips talk about ways to "control" what others are going to do to meet the "sales" need... I've found the most successful people in any sales industry actually put others needs before their own. Strange... I know, but it amazingly works- especially when many other people are obviously out for themselves.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I hear over and over again how important the first few seconds of a phone call are to make a connection and grab interest, and my question to all of you is - are you still opening your calls with the standard, "how are you today?" If so, then you've just turned off about half of your prospects.

Think about it, what's your reaction to someone you don't know who calls you and asks, "how are you today?" If youre like most people, you're thinking, "I'll be much better as soon as I can you off the phone!

Want to know a better way? The top 20% understand how important it is to differentiate themselves from the hundreds of other people calling their prospects, and they are focused on engagingb and creating interest with their prospects. Here's a techique they use that works really well:

When your prospect answers the phone, announce yourself and then ask, "can you here me OK?" This immediately catches your prospect off guard, forces them to focus, think, and respond in a positive manner, which is usually "Yes, I can."

An additional benefit is that your prospect is now also paying closer attention to what you're about to say next. Quite an improvemt over the other method/response, isn't it?

If your prospect happens to say, "yes, why can you hear me?" (or some variation), just tell them that you're trying a new headset, or that there was a clicking on the line, or that it's very busy in the background there (or whatever else might actuyally be going on in your work environment), and you wanted to make sure you both had a clear connection. Then continue on with your presentation (which should begin with, "briefly, the reason for the call...")

This technique, which may sound simple, really works well and though it may take somne time getting used to, you will end up loving the new reactions and results you get. I urge you to try it for a few days and see for yourself the difference it makes to all of you Hot tub salespeople.

I agree with people who say you only have a few seconds to make a connection, and now you have proven way to do just that.

I leared this technique working on the floor of the NYSE on wall street for 2 years after college and worked especially well in that environment considering the noise level and works very well for getting people's attention.

Best Regards,

Brandon R