Sales Training

A sales training topic that expresses it's wrong [/i]not to lie about things??!!?? I am in complete disagreement with this. I think this "old school" thinking of creating urgency is exactly the kind of thing that turns people off. (In my opinion) An adult will make a decision to purchase something when they are good and ready and shouldn't be lied to in order to make it happen for the salespersons covenience/ pocketbook. I have told people that there is one spa left on a list when there is one spa left on a list- period... and that's it. Understanding someone's needs and matching a product up to it is one thing... lying to someone or manipulating/probing them into doing what YOU want is another.

If you read the whole post you will realize that creating an urgency in a truthful matter is a rightfull thing to do. I think you should shame yourself for not telling the truth even though it puts a little pressure.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read the whole post you will realize that creating an urgency in a truthful matter is a rightfull thing to do. I think you should shame yourself for not telling the truth even though it puts a little pressure.

We don't put "pressure" on people. But we help them make a decision (and hopefully stop shopping) by offering something like this: "If you put a $100 deposit on this spa today, we can hold it for you at the sale price for up to 60 days. If you change your mind, or something comes up, or you can't get finanancing, your deposit is fully reundable within 30 days." This gives them time to get their deck or patio ready, and $100 is not really that much to make them nervous about where they spent their money.

We don't put "pressure" on people. But we help them make a decision (and hopefully stop shopping) by offering something like this: "If you put a $100 deposit on this spa today, we can hold it for you at the sale price for up to 60 days. If you change your mind, or something comes up, or you can't get finanancing, your deposit is fully reundable within 30 days." This gives them time to get their deck or patio ready, and $100 is not really that much to make them nervous about where they spent their money.

That works given that type of scenario. ;)

Perhaps I miss-read your quote (something about double negatives). I thought you were saying it is GOOD to lie and tell someone you have only one spa left when you really have more than one just to create urgency. This is what I was in dissagreement with. I have nothing to shame myself about and any salesperson that takes the high road is good in my book. I feel telling the truth is the only way I can do my job right. There are plenty of salespeople out there that don't follow this. I am always going to hold on to the hope that these "sneaky people" will eventually be eliminated in the industry... but I've been told that will never happen.

Perhaps I miss-read your quote (something about double negatives). I thought you were saying it is GOOD to lie and tell someone you have only one spa left when you really have more than one just to create urgency. This is what I was in dissagreement with. I have nothing to shame myself about and any salesperson that takes the high road is good in my book. I feel telling the truth is the only way I can do my job right. There are plenty of salespeople out there that don't follow this. I am always going to hold on to the hope that these "sneaky people" will eventually be eliminated in the industry... but I've been told that will never happen.

Exactly! Having integrity makes me feel good about myself because I have to live with it. I really meant having one spa left and telling the truth. :D

Exactly! Having integrity makes me feel good about myself because I have to live with it. I really meant having one spa left and telling the truth. :D

I read that the same way Amanda did at first. I went back and I can now see what you were trying to convey but your wording made it seem at first like you were advocating saying whatever it takes to make the sale.

I read that the same way Amanda did at first. I went back and I can now see what you were trying to convey but your wording made it seem at first like you were advocating saying whatever it takes to make the sale.

Now we are on the same page. I have another story to tell you guys when I get a chance because this one is long. ;)

Give us the Cliff notes version!!! I know that if I see anything that has more writing than I see on my toothpaste tube, I skip it.

What would it take to make you successful? Stockbrokers, for example, base their success on making their clients money. Or mabye not. The following story is one of many similar tales I've heard from brokers over the years.

Back in the early seventies, when the market was dropping faster than Richard Nixon't spproval ratings, a stockbroker was trying to land a well-to-do contractor as a client. She wasn't having much luck with him over the phone so one afternoon she stopped by his office. It wasn't going any better until, searching for something to build a little rapport, she noticed a newspaper clipping mounted on a plaque on one wall. Accompanying the story was a picture of a little girl in a ballet outfit.

Is that your daughter?, she asked

It was the last thing she got to say for ten minutes. The proud parent went on and on about the kid and her dancing. With apparently justifiable pride. His daughter had even been selected by George Balanchine to perform in the Nutcracker at Lincoln Center one year. That seemed to thrill the contractor even more than it must have thrilled the girl.

A few months later, the broker heard that a world renowned Russian ballet troop was coming to town. She boughttwo tickets. At 27.50 each--which back then, with the stock market busily tunneling its way to hell, was a lot of money. She sent the ticket to the contractor and his daughter along with a warm personal note.

"Whereupon, says the broker, "the guy turned into what I call the Rasputin Account: Nothing I did could kill it." Nothing. No matter how badly her recommendations performed, the contractor kept coming back for more.

As I said, any number of other financial consultants tell the same type of story. Which is why brokerages teach their people, "This business is not about making clients money; it's about building relationships." That's just not what they tell their clients--most of whom seem to believe they're more interested in making money than new friends.

Truth: Once people believe you care about them, they'll look for reasons to do business with you. When they look, they usually find.

A simple trick, a possible bore and some basic motivation.

There is of course a trick to getting someone to believe you care about him or her. The trick to getting someone to believe you care, is to care! Somone once said that quoting yourself is the hallmark of the true bore. That may well be true, but at the risk of confirming what you might already suspect, here it comes anyway. "Concentrate on the What's in it for them and the what's in it for you will usually take care of itself."

You can concentrate on the What's in it for you and still be successful. There are business people out there who view business as war and the customer as an enemy that has to be overcome. They can the customer about who they are and how much they care, even if they tell the complete truth about their products and services.

Whether or not they havae a problem with how that makes them feel about their jobs and their lives is their business. This isn't about ethics. But the longer the relationship with that customer goes on , the more likely it is that their true priorities are going to come out. And when that happens-no matter how well liked they might have been before--they're immediately going to drop back down to the level of just another huckster.

Truth: It's easier just to care than to pretend to care.

What would it take to make you successful? Stockbrokers, for example, base their success on making their clients money. Or mabye not. The following story is one of many similar tales I've heard from brokers over the years.

Back in the early seventies, when the market was dropping faster than Richard Nixon't spproval ratings, a stockbroker was trying to land a well-to-do contractor as a client. She wasn't having much luck with him over the phone so one afternoon she stopped by his office. It wasn't going any better until, searching for something to build a little rapport, she noticed a newspaper clipping mounted on a plaque on one wall. Accompanying the story was a picture of a little girl in a ballet outfit.

Is that your daughter?, she asked

It was the last thing she got to say for ten minutes. The proud parent went on and on about the kid and her dancing. With apparently justifiable pride. His daughter had even been selected by George Balanchine to perform in the Nutcracker at Lincoln Center one year. That seemed to thrill the contractor even more than it must have thrilled the girl.

A few months later, the broker heard that a world renowned Russian ballet troop was coming to town. She boughttwo tickets. At 27.50 each--which back then, with the stock market busily tunneling its way to hell, was a lot of money. She sent the ticket to the contractor and his daughter along with a warm personal note.

"Whereupon, says the broker, "the guy turned into what I call the Rasputin Account: Nothing I did could kill it." Nothing. No matter how badly her recommendations performed, the contractor kept coming back for more.

As I said, any number of other financial consultants tell the same type of story. Which is why brokerages teach their people, "This business is not about making clients money; it's about building relationships." That's just not what they tell their clients--most of whom seem to believe they're more interested in making money than new friends.

Truth: Once people believe you care about them, they'll look for reasons to do business with you. When they look, they usually find.

A simple trick, a possible bore and some basic motivation.

There is of course a trick to getting someone to believe you care about him or her. The trick to getting someone to believe you care, is to care! Somone once said that quoting yourself is the hallmark of the true bore. That may well be true, but at the risk of confirming what you might already suspect, here it comes anyway. "Concentrate on the What's in it for them and the what's in it for you will usually take care of itself."

You can concentrate on the What's in it for you and still be successful. There are business people out there who view business as war and the customer as an enemy that has to be overcome. They can the customer about who they are and how much they care, even if they tell the complete truth about their products and services.

Whether or not they havae a problem with how that makes them feel about their jobs and their lives is their business. This isn't about ethics. But the longer the relationship with that customer goes on , the more likely it is that their true priorities are going to come out. And when that happens-no matter how well liked they might have been before--they're immediately going to drop back down to the level of just another huckster.

Truth: It's easier just to care than to pretend to care.

So true! So True!!

• 2 weeks later...

So true! So True!!

Be mindful to evaluate the flow of “gesture clusters” rather than isolated gestures taken out of context. Listed below are some important body language gestures that will help you close more sales in less time.

Body Postures: There are two basic categories; Open/Closed and Forward/Back.

In an open and receptive body posture, arms are unfolded, legs uncrossed and palms are exposed. In a closed body posture, arms are folded, legs are crossed and the entire body is usually turned away.

Leaning back and closed = Lack of interest

Leaning back and open = Contemplation and cautious interest

Leaning forward and closed = Potential aggressive behavior

Leaning forward and open = Interest and agreement

Head Gestures

Head neutral = Neutral and open attitude

Tilted back = Superior attitude

Tilted down = Negative and judgmental attitude

Tilted to one side = Interest

Facial Gestures

Eye rub = Deceit, “see no evil”

Eye roll = Dismissive gesture that indicates superiority

Looking over top of glasses = Scrutiny and a critical attitude

Nose rub = Dislike of the subject

Hand or fingers blocking mouth = Deceit, “speak no evil”

Chin stroking = Making a decision

Thumb under chin with index finger pointing vertically along the cheek = Negative attitude and critical judgment

Are you missing your prospect's buy signals? As a professional salesperson you must continuously monitor your prospect's body language and adjust your presentation accordingly. By knowing your prospect's body language gestures you will minimize perceived sales pressure and know when it's appropriate to close the sale!

Are you missing your prospect's buy signals? As a professional salesperson you must continuously monitor your prospect's body language and adjust your presentation accordingly. By knowing your prospect's body language gestures you will minimize perceived sales pressure and know when it's appropriate to close the sale!

I can't really say that I follow an "outline" like this but this is a good guide line for people that do not understand body language. 13 years ago I learned sign language. At first it was all about the actual "sign" that was made by hands. As I learned more "signs"... it became an incredibly beautiful language to me. I started not even really looking at the signs as much as the persons entire body/expresion in association with the hand sign. I think this really helped me learn a lot about reading people. I don't really read people to "make a sale". I read people to make sure they are comfortable. Everything else will fall into place if it is meant to be. If I could make a suggestion to EVERYONE... sign language is completely worth learning for many reasons. Check out a book from the library or go online and see if you can learn a little here and there. You won't be dissapointed!

I can't really say that I follow an "outline" like this but this is a good guide line for people that do not understand body language. 13 years ago I learned sign language. At first it was all about the actual "sign" that was made by hands. As I learned more "signs"... it became an incredibly beautiful language to me. I started not even really looking at the signs as much as the persons entire body/expresion in association with the hand sign. I think this really helped me learn a lot about reading people. I don't really read people to "make a sale". I read people to make sure they are comfortable. Everything else will fall into place if it is meant to be. If I could make a suggestion to EVERYONE... sign language is completely worth learning for many reasons. Check out a book from the library or go online and see if you can learn a little here and there. You won't be dissapointed!

If I dont make sales, I don't pay workers! Bottom line.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad this topic was started to help consumers know what to look out for as far as sales "tactics" to get you to do what the salesperson wants you to do. People are NOT SHEEP! They do not need to be "herded" or convinced. Sales "tricks" are hopefully becoming a thing of the past. This industry in particular needs some guidance in this area in my opinion. A topic like this will help people (consumers/ researchers) to understand what to watch out for and encourages professionals to think twice about how they represent themselves, their company and the industry.

still... sign language is a cool thing to know. It has enhanced my life beyond measure and I encourage others to check it out.

• 1 month later...

Interesting discussion you guys!

I have taught sales and marketing for many years and now have a consulting company aimed solely at the spa industry. I'm not going to give away ALL my secrets :D but I will inject some of my beliefs...

First off, SALES IS A TRANSFER OF ENTHUSIASM! Period! I don't care WHAT you are selling, you require passion for it.

I've read a couple comments by Amanda where you use the term "old school". There's no such thing my dear. People have been in sales forever and the ideology is the same. We tend to put fancy words and phrases together now to spiff it up but the concept is and always will be the same. The concept of sales is there and there's just different levels of understanding of it. I know a lot of good salespeople that never ask for the sale. A mistake! We assume we're so good that at the end of our presentation they should be begging for pen to sign on the dotted line. I know many brilliant salespeople but it just doesn't work that way! I managed a retail store selling over 400 units annually... I know of what I speak and I know the difference between a good salesperson and a GREAT one!!

The relationship (as mentioned), is paramount! You need to tear down the wall the prospect comes in with. Why is it that you hear, "just browsing" or "just looking" all the time? People don't want to be sold anything....they want to buy! You may have the best product in the world at the cheapest price and if I don't like you, I'm not buying!

A great presentation has as many questions for the consumer/ prospect as answers. We are fitting them into a product and not up-selling them. The truth is that 90% of the prospects buy on 10% of the features so it's OUR job to determine what those are!

You presentation must be focused and target on the key aspects that the prospect deems important to them. I'm not a pressure guy in ANY way and most salespeople are terrified of the dreaded "CLOSE"! I have an entire seminar dedicated to THE CLOSE and how a sophisticated presentation will close throughout and lessen the anxiety of the closing aspects of the presentation.

There's much more but I don't want SpaTech to fall asleep again! :wacko:

Feel free to question anything I've written so far...

Steve

Huh?

You guys don't yell insults at the customers and tell them they are evil ignorant schmucks? Amazing.

LOL Trigger!

That's the second part if the first part doesn't work! :D

Jim has had "sales training" that I have never had the privilage of attending. :P

Steve

I lock the door after the customers enter and swallow the key this usually keeps em in the store for 8 to 12 hours. :D

As the phone rang, I wondered, how would they react...

I had a crazy idea the other day. I thought, "I should get some sponsors for some of my products and programs." After all, I reach the same people they want to reach and if I can get them to offer my clients and readers a great deal, then everyone wins. There is only one problem:

Getting sponsors is difficult.

That's what I had been told. I've been to seminars on how to prepare a sponsorship proposal. They told us to expect rejection and warned us that these companies are inundated with those who are begging for their money.

That's not what I found!

After only a few calls, I found several major corporations who were honored to be asked to work with me and thrilled to have the opportunity to be our sponsor.

What's the lesson?

As sales people, we too often predict the outcome of a situation and adjust our behavior accordingly. We decide who to call and who not to call based on our assumptions of the outcome. There is one unmistakable truth in all of this: You will never make a sale to someone you decided not to call. (I know, that's not too profound.) But it's true!!!

Assume the best and act on the assumption.

Price Pritchett said, "Do what you would do if you knew you were going to succeed." If you knew the president of General Motors would agree to your $5M Proposal, you'd call him. Unfortunately, you are so certain he won't agree that you won't even risk the call.

Break your boundaries

Each of us has a comfort zone, beyond which we do not reach. Unfortunately, each of us has goals and aspiratrions that can most easily be achieved by reaching beyond that boundary. As you read this, what is your boundary? What is it that you should do that you are not doing because you are sure it won't work? GET DIALING DUCKY

As the phone rang, I wondered, how would they react...

I had a crazy idea the other day. I thought, "I should get some sponsors for some of my products and programs." After all, I reach the same people they want to reach and if I can get them to offer my clients and readers a great deal, then everyone wins. There is only one problem:

Getting sponsors is difficult.

That's what I had been told. I've been to seminars on how to prepare a sponsorship proposal. They told us to expect rejection and warned us that these companies are inundated with those who are begging for their money.

That's not what I found!

After only a few calls, I found several major corporations who were honored to be asked to work with me and thrilled to have the opportunity to be our sponsor.

What's the lesson?

As sales people, we too often predict the outcome of a situation and adjust our behavior accordingly. We decide who to call and who not to call based on our assumptions of the outcome. There is one unmistakable truth in all of this: You will never make a sale to someone you decided not to call. (I know, that's not too profound.) But it's true!!!

Assume the best and act on the assumption.

Price Pritchett said, "Do what you would do if you knew you were going to succeed." If you knew the president of General Motors would agree to your $5M Proposal, you'd call him. Unfortunately, you are so certain he won't agree that you won't even risk the call.

Break your boundaries

Each of us has a comfort zone, beyond which we do not reach. Unfortunately, each of us has goals and aspiratrions that can most easily be achieved by reaching beyond that boundary. As you read this, what is your boundary? What is it that you should do that you are not doing because you are sure it won't work? GET DIALING DUCKY

not sure I understand, your point, as every company in the industry has "sales training" many who have been in the industry for a long length of time are very comfortable. So you typed all this for what? My theory is that the only reason consumers dont buy is because they dont have enough infromation to make the decision , Hence the salesman is obligated to educate them to that point where the consumer has enough info. that they say "write it up" if at any time the salesman stops providing valuable information and options, the consumer is obligated to find a reason to ask for walking papers, and thats when the excuses start to roll, "we have to measure" I call "Bu!!$h!T" how many people dont know how much room they have? unless its an impulse buy they darned well know how much space they have. Bottom line in sales is you know how to sell or you strive to learn and as their success rate increases they realise what it takes for their individual presentations to work , everyone is different and everyone sells product differently, so a text book lesson in sales in my opinion is helpful but not a tell all remedy that will make every saleperson successful. good luck guys!

not sure I understand, your point, as every company in the industry has "sales training" many who have been in the industry for a long length of time are very comfortable. So you typed all this for what? My theory is that the only reason consumers dont buy is because they dont have enough infromation to make the decision , Hence the salesman is obligated to educate them to that point where the consumer has enough info. that they say "write it up" if at any time the salesman stops providing valuable information and options, the consumer is obligated to find a reason to ask for walking papers, and thats when the excuses start to roll, "we have to measure" I call "Bu!!$h!T" how many people dont know how much room they have? unless its an impulse buy they darned well know how much space they have. Bottom line in sales is you know how to sell or you strive to learn and as their success rate increases they realise what it takes for their individual presentations to work , everyone is different and everyone sells product differently, so a text book lesson in sales in my opinion is helpful but not a tell all remedy that will make every saleperson successful. good luck guys!

How can you apply what you learn is the question.

How can you apply what you learn is the question.

I believe that its not the how but the what you apply, as I know a salesman that says almost nothing and spends most of his time looking at the cieling , looks and occasionally points and a feature of teh product, hands in pockets, throws in a laugh now and then but his numbers are very impressive. I tried his method and the consumers got offended. Another guy I know has the customer sold on our product by his presence and aura before even showing any spa , by that time its just a matter of which one. So they have applied the very elements that work with their personalities each being very different in style but both top performers when it comes to sales.Me myself I am a quick informative guy that qualifies them quickly offers them the deal at hand, and if they arent ready by that time then they dont have enough info. so I gotta find what it is that they need to know to make their decision to buy from me.

I believe that its not the how but the what you apply, as I know a salesman that says almost nothing and spends most of his time looking at the cieling , looks and occasionally points and a feature of teh product, hands in pockets, throws in a laugh now and then but his numbers are very impressive. I tried his method and the consumers got offended. Another guy I know has the customer sold on our product by his presence and aura before even showing any spa , by that time its just a matter of which one. So they have applied the very elements that work with their personalities each being very different in style but both top performers when it comes to sales.Me myself I am a quick informative guy that qualifies them quickly offers them the deal at hand, and if they arent ready by that time then they dont have enough info. so I gotta find what it is that they need to know to make their decision to buy from me.

How do you apply what you know? Are you willing to learn more about your prospect? Are you willing to ask for the sale? Don't forget to smile and show some enthusiasm.

How do you apply what you know? Are you willing to learn more about your prospect? Are you willing to ask for the sale? Don't forget to smile and show some enthusiasm.

Come on now an old dog like me? all those things are as natural as breathing. Learning about your "prospects" is all part of qualifying them into their needs and wants.

It's not just lack of information that prohibits the final sale. More importantly, a consumer will not purchase if they can not determine value for the money. In our industry, it is a more difficult task due to the fact that most have never owned their own spa and have difficulty determining who has reinvented the wheel better!

It's the reason why many companies promote proprietary features that can't be found anywhere else.

There's 3 aspects to the sales process for a dealer and you need to at least one of these:

1) Be a "value priced" line undercutting most other dealers pricing

2) Promote your Brand with the understanding that there's value in it to "Joe Public"

3) Be positioned to sell a proprietary feature on your spas that can't be purchased anywhere else locally.

If you don't fit into any one of these categories, you are selling a product that does not stand apart from most other spas. That makes it very difficult for the prospect to see a value there and will limit the level of success of that retailer.

Steve