Filter Help/advice

rich_s

Need to replace filter and I need a little advice/help from others. Currently have an old nautilus SS De filter that has gone bad. I am planning to replaster and switch to salt in the spring. I have been looking at sand filters and am wondering if there is a giant difference in using one that has top mount multi-port valve vs. side mount multi-port valve. I know that there is a significant difference in pricing. Also since I will probably install myself there is a little less plumbing to the top mount one.

Anyone out there have advice on this, know what lifespan should be? If valve goes bad will I need to replace the whole filter? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Richard

Oh for the record...28 yr old inground gunite pool approx. 30,000 gallons in Oklahoma and I usually leave it running and open all year. Not sure if that will help or not in determining answers.

I think it comes down to preference on what you want. Side mounts the cannister is usually 2 peice makes it eaiser to service and change sand than a top mount. I filter in a pool shed should last at least 20yrs If something goes on the valve head you can just get replacement parts usually it will be the head gasket then the spring for the handle. on most you can replace the top or the bottom of the valve head if you crack the pressure gauge hole by overtightening.

Take a look at the pentair clean and clear filter, it is so simple to clean and requires no backwashing. A sand filter is the poorest type of filtering there is and you loose a lot of water backwashing. I think with the water shortages they will probably outlaw the use of sand and de filters some day.

This is just my opinion but I have installed thousands of filter systems and I like the ease of the pentair clean and clear, easy to install and clean...good luck