Secondary Suction Cloth Filter

I have recently purchased a Tiger River Sumatran. I have owned tubs in the past and I have been in many others. I can not say that I have ever seen this cloth “sock” over the secondary intake. Regardless, it just filters out junk then drops it backing the tub when you try to clean or remove it. There must be a better way. Any suggestions?

I have recently purchased a Tiger River Sumatran. I have owned tubs in the past and I have been in many others. I can not say that I have ever seen this cloth “sock” over the secondary intake. Regardless, it just filters out junk then drops it backing the tub when you try to clean or remove it. There must be a better way. Any suggestions?

It's there to keep sand and debris out of the pump so it sounds like it's serving it's purpose. I would leave it be. Get yourself a "Grit Gitter" or some other device (some people use a turkey baster) to get the sand/debris that ends up on the bottom of the spa.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bump this old thread, but it seemed the most related.

I've just drained my Sumatran, and wanted to do a thorough cleaning. And this cloth cover of the secondary suction was pretty disgusting, having managed to suck in bug carcasses and other grime around the edges. We thought we'd just pull it out and wash it off (or replace it). We started tugging at the edges, and it looked like it had a draw string to reattach.

After getting it off, we realized that it wasn't a draw string, and can't easily be put back in without removing the plastic cover that sits behind it. Trying to remove the cover, it doesn't seem to unscrew, and I think if I try just prying it out any harder, that the plastic is going to snap.

Reading the manual, I come up with the following:

Secondary Suction Screen

Located in the footwell of your spa are one or two secondary suction screen(s), depending on your model. The screen, made of polyester, is used as a filter to prevent dirt from circulating through the system.

WARNING: Do not use the spa with the suction screen(s) removed.

And that's all it says on the matter.

So obviously I don't want to refill it before getting this polyester screen reinstalled (or replaced). Does anybody have any instructions on how to remove the plastic cover? Or how to install this cloth screen?

I swear, every time I drain and refill this thing, I learn something new about it.

Aren't there a couple screws on the front side of that suction cover holding it in place?

Sorry to bump this old thread, but it seemed the most related.

I've just drained my Sumatran, and wanted to do a thorough cleaning. And this cloth cover of the secondary suction was pretty disgusting, having managed to suck in bug carcasses and other grime around the edges. We thought we'd just pull it out and wash it off (or replace it). We started tugging at the edges, and it looked like it had a draw string to reattach.

After getting it off, we realized that it wasn't a draw string, and can't easily be put back in without removing the plastic cover that sits behind it. Trying to remove the cover, it doesn't seem to unscrew, and I think if I try just prying it out any harder, that the plastic is going to snap.

Reading the manual, I come up with the following:

Secondary Suction Screen

Located in the footwell of your spa are one or two secondary suction screen(s), depending on your model. The screen, made of polyester, is used as a filter to prevent dirt from circulating through the system.

WARNING: Do not use the spa with the suction screen(s) removed.

And that's all it says on the matter.

So obviously I don't want to refill it before getting this polyester screen reinstalled (or replaced). Does anybody have any instructions on how to remove the plastic cover? Or how to install this cloth screen?

I swear, every time I drain and refill this thing, I learn something new about it.

No set screws, it just unscrews. I've taken off hundreds and may have broken one. If you break the plastic piece, there is a 'cross' that spans across the opening, you can grab this with a set of pliers and unscrew it. It may be tough to get off due to sand and debris in the threads.

Is the cloth doing any good if there is sand and debreis in the thread? I would think the cloth would stop this?!?

As the original poster of this thread, I should clarify. I purchased a new Tiger River Sumatran last August. It was produced in July 07, so a label says somewhere in the case.

I continue to think that this “secondary suction screen” is very poor design. I have dealt with it by just using a Grit Gitter to suck up the crap that gathers on the “sock” after rubbing it off with my hand. The sock is in very good condition, but I don’t think I will replace it if it every tears.

To answer fdamstra’s question that resurrected my old post… My hot tub has 2 shiny screws on the face that hold the gray plastic cover on to a white plastic frame bracket. It slips right off once these 2 screws are removed. The sock itself has an elastic band that keeps it synched around the bracket.

Regardless of what mine looks like, the overall design shows my that it has been given little thought, which also leads me to believe that it’s design could almost wander from time to time. There may be a few designs over each model year, but surely all are equally poorly thought out.

Let us know what you find out or do to fix your problem. My thoughts are something along the lines of it would be fine to run it without the sock thing, as long as you keep a fairly clean tub, as we do.

Good Luck!

As the original poster of this thread, I should clarify. I purchased a new Tiger River Sumatran last August. It was produced in July 07, so a label says somewhere in the case.

I continue to think that this “secondary suction screen” is very poor design. I have dealt with it by just using a Grit Gitter to suck up the crap that gathers on the “sock” after rubbing it off with my hand. The sock is in very good condition, but I don’t think I will replace it if it every tears.

So you're saying that the sock is obviously doing its job since its gathering debris.

To answer fdamstra’s question that resurrected my old post… My hot tub has 2 shiny screws on the face that hold the gray plastic cover on to a white plastic frame bracket. It slips right off once these 2 screws are removed. The sock itself has an elastic band that keeps it synched around the bracket.

Regardless of what mine looks like, the overall design shows my that it has been given little thought, which also leads me to believe that it’s design could almost wander from time to time. There may be a few designs over each model year, but surely all are equally poorly thought out.

Let us know what you find out or do to fix your problem. My thoughts are something along the lines of it would be fine to run it without the sock thing, as long as you keep a fairly clean tub, as we do.

Your ever so confident thoughts lead to a poor conclusion. You should leave the sock in place as it is doing its job as designed. If the sock wasn't there "grit" would be going through your pump and getting into your diverter cores and you would not like that. You then would be explaining to all of us how the diverter was improperly designed.

Good Luck!

It certainly does work, but it is still poorly designed. Other hot tubs appear to achieve the same thing without the intake screen having a piece of fabric over it. I don’t think anyone has said it didn’t do something. Mine seems to collect just enough lint on it to be annoying, but no grit or debris. If it were so important one would think it would be mention more then one time it passing in the manual.

Function doesn’t need to replace Form.

It certainly does work, but it is still poorly designed. Other hot tubs appear to achieve the same thing without the intake screen having a piece of fabric over it. I don’t think anyone has said it didn’t do something. Mine seems to collect just enough lint on it to be annoying, but no grit or debris. If it were so important one would think it would be mention more then one time it passing in the manual.

The key phrase is 'APPEAR'' to achieve. What sort of experience are you drawing upon to proclaim that other companies achieve the same thing without the intake screen fabric? My experience is drawn from 50-70 service calls per week.

Just so you know, other brands use low suctions without screens, and people find out the hard way that instead of cleaning that 'pesky' screen you need to call a service person to clean out your pump and have the diverter valve replaced...at a cost. Pretty much a confirmation of what Spatech said a few posts ago.

I haven't read many service manuals that mention things several times over in describing how to maintain the tub. If it mentions it once, it pretty much tells me that it needs to be done.

Then take it off so yours is like all the other tubs that you see until you find the design that you approve of.

Calm down. Nobody is talking about removing the fabric just to remove it, this was being asked by someone who had torn theirs off. The owner’s manual barely mentions it, especially how to deal with it when it does become a problem.

No need to be so touchy, though you are obviously speaking from experience. I have no problems with my tub, but that doesn’t mean there are not things that could be done better. Having a fabric filter grafted to the side of a hot tub is not the most attractive thing to most people, no matter how important it may be. I don’t think you would lose any sales if you agreed it was an odd arrangement. Without feedback from customers, why would companies ever make improvements to lines?

fdamstra, what did you do to resolve your situation? Where you able to remove the gray cover?

fdamstra, what did you do to resolve your situation? Where you able to remove the gray cover?

I have not tried again to remove the gray cover. I was impatient, and with some patience and some prying with a flathead screwdriver, I got that cloth cover back in place.

I will try to remove it and do it properly next time I refill it.