Fiberglass Blistering

rugar2

I have a San Juan Fiberglass Pool 12" X 27" X 5.5" installed in 1991 in Southern California. The pool interior started showing 2 years ago some "blistering" or bubble-like spots 1" to 1.5" in diameter spread out on the bottom and walls of pool. I have never drain the area under the bottom of the pool. Every start of the season, I remove water just below the skimmer opening, a couple of times without any problems. The pool does not leak, but one of the bubbles has started to wear out from the top, because of friction from the polaris pool cleaner.

Can this pool be repair? Should I replace it with a new one? The company went out of business several years ago, so the 25 year warranty seems useless now.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a San Juan Fiberglass Pool 12" X 27" X 5.5" installed in 1991 in Southern California. The pool interior started showing 2 years ago some "blistering" or bubble-like spots 1" to 1.5" in diameter spread out on the bottom and walls of pool. I have never drain the area under the bottom of the pool. Every start of the season, I remove water just below the skimmer opening, a couple of times without any problems. The pool does not leak, but one of the bubbles has started to wear out from the top, because of friction from the polaris pool cleaner.

Can this pool be repair? Should I replace it with a new one? The company went out of business several years ago, so the 25 year warranty seems useless now.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the blistering info, but I can with the warranty. Even though the installer is no longer in business, you can contact the Manufacturer. They may have a dealer in your area that can take a look at the problem. The warranty is offered by the Manufacturer, NOT the dealer. Get in touch with the Manufacturer right away!

Good luck,

slhalufska

Great news!!

I was a San JUan Dealer. I think I stilll legally am a San Juan dealer. I just change product lines to a higher quality product. Your warranty is with SanJuan, not the contractor. The owner, Todd Sullivan and the General Manager Gene Foster told me the blisters came from the workers sweating into the gel coat. It is an impurity.

Where are you located?

I now sell Barrier Reef fiberglass pools, they come in brilliant colors and they are the best quality available.

We are at www.fiberglasspoolsupply.com, check us out. I will help you anyway that I can.

Marc

fiberglass pool supply

pool@xmsg.com

I'm sorry I can't help you with the blistering info, but I can with the warranty. Even though the installer is no longer in business, you can contact the Manufacturer. They may have a dealer in your area that can take a look at the problem. The warranty is offered by the Manufacturer, NOT the dealer. Get in touch with the Manufacturer right away!

Good luck,

slhalufska

• 6 months later...

Great news!!

I was a San JUan Dealer. I think I stilll legally am a San Juan dealer. I just change product lines to a higher quality product. Your warranty is with SanJuan, not the contractor. The owner, Todd Sullivan and the General Manager Gene Foster told me the blisters came from the workers sweating into the gel coat. It is an impurity.

Where are you located?

I now sell Barrier Reef fiberglass pools, they come in brilliant colors and they are the best quality available.

We are at www.fiberglasspoolsupply.com, check us out. I will help you anyway that I can.

Marc

fiberglass pool supply

pool@xmsg.com

Never in mylife have I ever heard such mis-information about a given topic. Osmotic blistering as is is refered to is not caused by"workers sweating into the gelcoat", but rather than from a chemical reaction between the typically chlorinated water and the catalyst used to make the pool itself harden- which is also called cobalting.

Older companies such as Gold Key fiberglass pools, and Phoenix fiberglass pools, both of which are no longer in business, commonly encountered such problems. Today though the implementation of vinyl ester resins in pools has made blisters more of a rarity.

If your pool has blisters on it I also recommend contacting the manufacturer. If San Juan made your pool your warranty should say American Environmental Container Corp. somewhere on it. Be very careful though that it does not say San Juan Fiberglass pools, Inc. as the prior company manutactures them now.

• 2 years later...