Circulation Pump Or Not?

TinyBubbles

Another dealer says it will get clogged with hair and break? I'd love to hear your opinions!

Let me guess....Marquis? :lol: Actually I'm not knocking them, I'm considering one myself but the argument sounds familiar. From what I have sifted through, the circ pumps may be a little more energy efficient...possibly up to 10-15% which probably equates to between $2.50-$5.00 a month or so. I have seen comments that they may be the most likely component to have to be replaced, but I don't think they are very expensive either. The main argument you seem to see in favor of the circ pump has to do with the injection of ozone. Most seem to think if you have ozone, then a circ pump is the way to go. Also they are reportedly much quieter. These observations are just an accumulation from my weeks and weeks of research so far and in no means is expert opinion, so you can take it for what it's worth.

Let me guess....Marquis? :lol: Actually I'm not knocking them, I'm considering one myself but the argument sounds familiar. From what I have sifted through, the circ pumps may be a little more energy efficient...possibly up to 10-15% which probably equates to between $2.50-$5.00 a month or so. I have seen comments that they may be the most likely component to have to be replaced, but I don't think they are very expensive either. The main argument you seem to see in favor of the circ pump has to do with the injection of ozone. Most seem to think if you have ozone, then a circ pump is the way to go. Also they are reportedly much quieter. These observations are just an accumulation from my weeks and weeks of research so far and in no means is expert opinion, so you can take it for what it's worth.

Marquis will be pretty quiet when the pump is not running at all.

I have also heard that circ pump spas need to run an hour or two a day at high speed to skim the top. Is this really true?

Marquis will be pretty quiet when the pump is not running at all.

I have also heard that circ pump spas need to run an hour or two a day at high speed to skim the top. Is this really true?

No, just a few minutes and I'm not so sure there is much of a need for it anyway. They either do so automatically or they may have a clean up cycle that you hit as you exit the spa.

Another dealer says it will get clogged with hair and break? I'd love to hear your opinions!

Actually, Coleman. Told me it's a glorified fish pump and will break in a hurry. I agree with you that they are inexpensive to replace. My gut tells me to go with the circulation pump. Do you ever feel like the more research you do, the less you know? Oh, I am planning on going with an ozonator.

Actually, Coleman. Told me it's a glorified fish pump and will break in a hurry. I agree with you that they are inexpensive to replace. My gut tells me to go with the circulation pump. Do you ever feel like the more research you do, the less you know? Oh, I am planning on going with an ozonator.

A Coleman salesman is either going to take the high road and steer you away from that because its not a major issue or they may choose to take the semi-slimy way and bash the competition and make a comment like that. Don't let it sway you much and i wouldn't even hold that against the salesperson.

There are many things pointed out when people compare these two like which is more energy efficient, more apt to get debris inside, filters more water, cost to replace, frequency of replacement, etc. I think they fairly even themselves out except one area. I am a big fan of ozone and like the fact you get 24/7 ozone with a circ pump. Other than that point i think both sides have good points and its pretty much a wash.

There are many things pointed out when people compare these two like which is more energy efficient, more apt to get debris inside, filters more water, cost to replace, frequency of replacement, etc. I think they fairly even themselves out except one area. I am a big fan of ozone and like the fact you get 24/7 ozone with a circ pump. Other than that point i think both sides have good points and its pretty much a wash.

I agree both have genuine upsides to them, I am not one who thinks 24 hours of ozone is an absolute necessity, As I have find with both systems that the higher flow seems to offset the need for 24 ozone, however as the fine Mr. Spatech points out both work. I think both sides here have some untruths in them and that is the small circ pumps can still be costly for some and troublesome to have to deal with should it break, however I am not saying they will it is just that to dismiss them as cheap to replace sounds good up until your writing the check to do so, also the large filtering is louder than a circ pump but rarely would it be an issue for most people about the only you may really hear it is when it comes on once its running it hardly noticeable. I think the bottom line is find the spa you like and most of todays spas no matter the method will filter the water fine.

I agree both have genuine upsides to them, I am not one who thinks 24 hours of ozone is an absolute necessity, As I have find with both systems that the higher flow seems to offset the need for 24 ozone, however as the fine Mr. Spatech points out both work. I think both sides here have some untruths in them and that is the small circ pumps can still be costly for some and troublesome to have to deal with should it break, however I am not saying they will it is just that to dismiss them as cheap to replace sounds good up until your writing the check to do so, also the large filtering is louder than a circ pump but rarely would it be an issue for most people about the only you may really hear it is when it comes on once its running it hardly noticeable. I think the bottom line is find the spa you like and most of todays spas no matter the method will filter the water fine.

Tinybubbles: You outed me with the dealer today!

mommabuys

A. The #1 cause of motor failure is heat. #2 would be "cycling" - when it turns on and off. When you have a dual-speed motor, and it cycles on and off, it wears. If a motor is continuously running it does not suffer the wear and tear of cycling. Generally a 2-speed motor will run anywhere from $200.00 to $400.00, depending on brand. A continuous circulation pump would cost from $80 - $180.00.

B. In order to get a true energy comparison you have to "do the math". Look at the amp draw on a circ pump and multiply it by 24. Then look at the amp draw on the low speed of a 2 speed motor, multiply it by how long the manufacturer recommends it run in a 24 hour period, and multiply that by the amp draw. There's your comparison.

C. The faster the water is carried over the heating element or exchanger the less efficient the heater is. Since heating water works on a logarithmic scale, the more heat recovery that is necessitated by the demand side (thermostat, etc.) the longer it will take, but will gain exponentially with the increase of temperature. If the water is traveling over the element at twice the speed it actually takes MORE than double the time to have the same temperature gain, all other things being equal (kw heating capacity, etc.)

D. Ozone has a half-life of 18 seconds at 100* F. If ozone is not injected into the water continuously it dissipates in less than 1 minute. If you are using ozone on a spa that cycles on and off it becomes ineffectual and, therefore, necessitates more disenfectant than one with continuous input.

E. The noise factor comparison is model specific. While most circulation pumps are noticably quieter than 2 speed motors, there are 2 speed motors that are extremely quiet, and continuous pumps that are noisy. That's like saying an 8 cylinder car is noiser than a 6 cylinder car.

Tinybubbles: You outed me with the dealer today!

Uh oh. The exclamation point at the end leads me to believe that's a bad thing. Were you incognito? I "outed" myself too. Online, tinybubbles sounded cute. Saying it outloud sounded pretty silly. :rolleyes: