Electrical Question

Bookedup

Good Morning all,

I am about to "jump it" to spa ownership. Forgive the pun. My problem, my house was supposedly pre wired for a hot tub a number of years ago while the basement was being finished. I didn't know anything about wiring at the time (before finding this site) and apparently my contractor didn"t know anything either. He put in 8/3 with a ground. The wire is all copper. Three are braided and the ground is solid. The run from main service panel is about 60 feet. I purchased my GFI (50 amp) for the outside wall where the tub will sit and bought a 6 AWG wipe to run to the tub (18 feet of wire). My question, will this tub work at all or will it run like a 110/120 tub (cant run jets and heater at the same time)? When I bought my tub i purpously didnt go with multiple pumps, stereo, lights, tv, ect because i was aware of the small wire issue. I bought a Cal Spa (no flaming please). It is a Victory Extreme 726.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance,

Bookedup

Good Morning all,

I am about to "jump it" to spa ownership. Forgive the pun. My problem, my house was supposedly pre wired for a hot tub a number of years ago while the basement was being finished. I didn't know anything about wiring at the time (before finding this site) and apparently my contractor didn"t know anything either. He put in 8/3 with a ground. The wire is all copper. Three are braided and the ground is solid. The run from main service panel is about 60 feet. I purchased my GFI (50 amp) for the outside wall where the tub will sit and bought a 6 AWG wipe to run to the tub (18 feet of wire). My question, will this tub work at all or will it run like a 110/120 tub (cant run jets and heater at the same time)? When I bought my tub i purpously didnt go with multiple pumps, stereo, lights, tv, ect because i was aware of the small wire issue. I bought a Cal Spa (no flaming please). It is a Victory Extreme 726.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance,

Bookedup

Well, it's hard to say without knowing what the amp draw of your tub is but you should be able to get 40 amps to the tub I would think with the 8/3 and 6/3 wire. The breaker at the panel should certainly be no more than 40 amps for 8/3 wire. That would probably be enough to run one pump and the heater. If you have two pumps, look at the spa controller because some of them have a switch to lower the total amps to 30 amps instead of 40 amps or 50 amps by locking out some of the equipment when other stuff is being used. My tub has a 50amp/30amp dip switch to set on a little panel inside the controller.

Thanx for the response. There is currently a 40 Amp double breaker in the main 200 AMP service entrance. I did purchase a 50 amp double breaker and planned on replacing the 40 AMP breaker. You are saying I should stay with the 40 AMP breaker because of the 8 AWG wire? If so, I can do that (I'll save myself $10 and change.

FYI - the spa is a single pump. I hope it works, I'm currently awaitin a delivery date!

Thanx for the response. There is currently a 40 Amp double breaker in the main 200 AMP service entrance. I did purchase a 50 amp double breaker and planned on replacing the 40 AMP breaker. You are saying I should stay with the 40 AMP breaker because of the 8 AWG wire? If so, I can do that (I'll save myself $10 and change.

FYI - the spa is a single pump. I hope it works, I'm currently awaitin a delivery date!

yes, you cannot use more than a 40-amp breaker . A 50-amp breaker would allow too much current on 8/3 wire and could potentially overheat the wire and start a fire. Also, you should have a qualified electrician do the connections. A bad connection could also start a fire. which would take away the fun of the hot tub.

yes, you cannot use more than a 40-amp breaker . A 50-amp breaker would allow too much current on 8/3 wire and could potentially overheat the wire and start a fire. Also, you should have a qualified electrician do the connections. A bad connection could also start a fire. which would take away the fun of the hot tub.

My understanding is that 8/3 wire is rated for 50 amps.

Reference Link

8 AWG may carry a maximum of 70 Amps in free air, or 50 Amps as part of a 3 conductor cable.

Since the wire isn't in an attic or high heat area, it doesn't need to be derated for heat. Since the run is 60 feet, the voltage drop will be negligible.

Find out what the requirements for the tub are. Many 220/240 volt tubs require 50-amp breakers. If your tub only requires a 40-amp breaker - you're good to go. If not, I'd suggest you consult a licensed electrician who can properly spec what gauge wire you require based upon the tables in the NEC book.

Report back to us.

Regards,

Ken

My understanding is that 8awg insulated individual conductors such as type THWN which is run in couduit for example is rated for 50 amps. However, many times the connections are not rated for more than 60 degrees-c, therefore you must use a higher awg such as 6awg. If your spa or disconnect breaker does not specifically list 75 degrees-c you have to base your cable size on the connection limitations and assume 60 deg.

8/3 (CABLE) such as romex (3 wires plus ground wrapped in an outer jacket) is actally not rated for 50amps. As soon as the wires are wrapped in the cable it must be derated to 60 deg - c. This is a specific code rule (334.80), not sure why as the conductors in nm cable are rated for 90 deg. c. Accordingly, it sounds like your electrician correctly put in a 40 amp breaker. You might need to upgrade this run for your new tub if it requires 50 amps.

Ken, if you look at the chart in your link it indicates the following i believe for the above reason:

"The National Electrical Code [NEC] requires their own cable sizing for premises wiring. Refer to the NEC rules to determine building wiring, as this page relates to electronic equipment wiring"

Good Luck with your project.

Gentlemen.

Thank youfor your responses. The 8 awg is in a drop ceiling in my basement. No heat issues. Looks like i will stick to the 40 amp breaker at the service entrance. Any idea if i'll still be able to acheive 104 degrees with this reduced set up?

The installer is scheduled for this morinng and they are calling for rain. I'm worried!!!

Wish me luck with my install.

Bookedup