Costco Hotspring Highlife Vs. Hotspring Sovereign

kellymc62

We are considering these tubs. It appears to me that they are the similar in size and number and types of jets. But the Costco spa is 36" deep and the sov is 33" deep. My husband says the pump is more powerful on the sov. My question is.... is it possible to change out the pump on the costco spa to a more powerful one? Would that cost less than the $2000 price difference? Thanks Kelly

We are considering these tubs. It appears to me that they are the similar in size and number and types of jets. But the Costco spa is 36" deep and the sov is 33" deep. My husband says the pump is more powerful on the sov. My question is.... is it possible to change out the pump on the costco spa to a more powerful one? Would that cost less than the $2000 price difference? Thanks Kelly

I wouldn't go swapping out pumps, it wouldn't be cheap and the spa plumbing isn't designed for the other pump so you won't get all the increase you might be expecting.

If you're going to consider the cost differenceas make sure you're factoring everything in. Comparing what each has spec'd on on their websites the Costco spa is set up for 110v and convertable to 220v but you'd have to buy the subpanel for a couple hundred bucks whereas the Sovereign is set up for 220v and will come with the subpanel. The Sovereign has CD ozone included whereas the Costco spa is ozone ready and to add a comparable ozone will cost another couple hundred easily. The sovereign would be delivered and set up whereas the Costco spa will be curbside delivery though you could maybe pay more to get the complete delivery/setup... There are other somewhat minor differences like stainless stell jet covers and there may be other differenes that the dealer could point out. Make a list for each side and be sure you're factoring in everything and then decide.

One probably cannot justify the $2,000 difference, but here are some of the major differences:

1. Light – multicolor versus standard blue.

2. Water feature – One has a one the other does not

3. Warranty – 5 years versus 1 year

4. Delivery – probably included in the one from the dealer, where as, the other drops it off on the driveway

5. Installation of accessories - probably included in the one from the dealer, where as, the other does not install it

6. Ozone – included in the one from the dealer.

7. Sub-panel - included in the one from the dealer.

Would not recommend trying to upgrade the pump as it will void the warranty.

Er, that's not quite what he said.

btw, if Costco will take it back any time, no reason, why have a warrenty at all?

Somehow, I think there is a time limit. Or they're going to get a lot of tubs back in a couple of years...

I wonder in the situation below if the guy tried to get resolution.

http://www.rhtubs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/config.p...ames;read=91879

Thanks everyone for your input and hope I didn't start something... but I have been reading these posts and think this argument has been going on long before I ever thought of getting a tub.

I see the value of buying a spa from a dealer. But it's those dang three inches of depth. I can get 36" deep with an envoy but why did they make the sovereign less deep!?! Does the 3 inch depth make any noticable difference? I have yet to wet test a spa but plan to soon. Thanks, Kelly

Er, that's not quite what he said.

btw, if Costco will take it back any time, no reason, why have a warrenty at all?

Somehow, I think there is a time limit. Or they're going to get a lot of tubs back in a couple of years...

I wonder in the situation below if the guy tried to get resolution.

http://www.rhtubs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/config.p...ames;read=91879

Same here Steve but we're just not used to seeing customers who have a NEED to take their spa back so teh whole idea is foreign.

I guess that must be it.

In over at decade at Beachcomber (selling close to 400 spas annually), we offered a 30 day gurantee and only 2 people ever took advantage of it. One was an exchange for the same model but in a different color. It's just not something people do or more importantly... WANT TO DO!!

The concept was that very few people wet tested and we wanted to make sure that our customers loved their new spa. If, for any reason they didn't, we would give a full refund or exchange the spa no questions asked.

Could you really use something for 3 or 5 years and then take it back for a refund and actually feel OK doing that? I guess our Mama's raised us different...

The reality is that if you have a quality dealer to look after you, the need to get to a point of returning a spa is a moot point and therefore the ability in being able to do so holds no value.

{it sounded good in my head}.... :lol:

Steve

You were right! I wet tested the Hot Spring Envoy tonight and found out that I'm a floater! I'm bummed. I couldn't even enjoy the big lounge because I was floating out of it the whole time. But other than that, it's a great spa. I will have to try a 33" spa. So glad that people on this site encourage everyone to wet test. I can see now that it's very important. Thanks, Kelly

3" can make all the difference in the world. You might be drowning in the deeper one, you might not. I'd say the depth of the seats is really what you want to be looking at. And for that, you need to go sit in one.

You really care how far down your toes are? ;)

Kelly,

Add up the cost of the following:

Ozone system $400

Color change light 200

Full delivery to site with set-up 300

Sub Panel 250

One warranty call after shorter warranty period 95 (plus parts which could be 100 or more)

Those are hard numbers, and they may not completely close the gap, but they cut it easily in half.

Then, add the fact that the Sov is 220 only - larger pump and heater. The Vanguard has two jet pumps, and two Moto Massage jets, one DX.

Longer warranty is hard to figure: you may never have a call, it's a risk.

More color choices - not applicable if you like the color of the Highlife, of course.

More siding choices - not applicable if you like the color of the Highlife siding, of course.

This is important: the Highlife may be taller, but the seating depth is almost exactly the same, and since you tend to float, if there was extra seating depth it would make the spa less usable for you.

Some thoughts.

B)