Foam Buttom

nic

We are getting our pool delivered next Thursday (or maybe sooner). I am pretty much 99% sure I am going to use a foam bottom and but the cove stuff.

For those that have used a foam bottom, what type of foam did you use and how thick. Also do ou just tape the underside with duck tape or do you tape the underside and topside ?

I am going to use 2" Dow Chemical Blue Styrofoam. Also called Blue Board. You get it at commercial roofing supply stores. Also at insulation supply stores. These are all commercial but most will sell to you with a credit card. Especially when you tell them what you are using it for.

Aranon

having a hard time finding the blue board but have found the 2" white foam board. That is what a local pool company uses, so that should be ok.

Do you put anything under it between the dirt and the foam board?

And once you lay it in, do you just tape the top of it with duct tape? Won't is how the seem lines ?

having a hard time finding the blue board but have found the 2" white foam board. That is what a local pool company uses, so that should be ok.

Do you put anything under it between the dirt and the foam board?

And once you lay it in, do you just tape the top of it with duct tape? Won't is how the seem lines ?

Doesn't the foam board compress under the weight of the water?

I guess it will compress a little, I am going with 1 1/2 inch thick form. As the setup/install instructions say to. I more I research it the more I like the idea of foam. No worries of wash out. And I think it will do a better job protecting the bottom of the liner.

I guess it will compress a little, I am going with 1 1/2 inch thick form. As the setup/install instructions say to. I more I research it the more I like the idea of foam. No worries of wash out. And I think it will do a better job protecting the bottom of the liner.

Maybe I need to do more research. I haven't found a site that reccomends the 1 1/2" foam. I also wonder how it would affect the liner in either aplication if some sand was between the liner and the foam or perfect bottom. Could you post a link to the site for the 1 1"2" foam?

Maybe I need to do more research. I haven't found a site that reccomends the 1 1/2" foam. I also wonder how it would affect the liner in either aplication if some sand was between the liner and the foam or perfect bottom. Could you post a link to the site for the 1 1"2" foam?

I got it from a install PDF Form, but I have also heard of many people using it as an alternitive to sand.

http://www.atlanticpoolproducts.com/assets...al/concorde.pdf

(sorry couldn't insert the link as a hyper link)

I also found the foam to be much cheaper and less work. Sand here in Ontario would cost me $38.00 per yard plus $68.00 delivery. Foam is $13.39 per 4x8 sheet. Now I do have to buy the foam coving. But I would still rather foam then sand.

• 4 weeks later...

I got it from a install PDF Form, but I have also heard of many people using it as an alternitive to sand.

http://www.atlanticpoolproducts.com/assets...al/concorde.pdf

(sorry couldn't insert the link as a hyper link)

I also found the foam to be much cheaper and less work. Sand here in Ontario would cost me $38.00 per yard plus $68.00 delivery. Foam is $13.39 per 4x8 sheet. Now I do have to buy the foam coving. But I would still rather foam then sand.

Interesting. How did your installation work out?

i don't have mine up yet due to all the rain.

I just finished putting up a Sharkline Thahtian 18 x 40 oval buttless free pool with 2" blue Dow Chemical styrofoam. I put the gorillia pad (which looked like heavy white felt) on top of the foam and then the foam cove base. I absolutely love the feel of the bottom. It feels firm but soft. Its great walking on. No foot prints. No liner wrinkles. I taped the seams and there is one place where I can feel the seam. I had 1-2 inches of packed sand under the foam.

If I had to do it all over again I think that I might use two layers of 1" foam with the seams crisscrossed. This way the top seams would be sitting on something more solid (the 1" underneath it) than sand. I was afraid my liner might be to big with 2" of foam, (was a j-hook liner) but it worked out great. In fact I was worried that the liner was streaching to much but worked out fine. No wrinkles at all. I love the bottom. Its great.

Oh and I used the foam around the sides and it feels great too. Sort of soft when you touch the walls. It was blue and was the extra thick. Looked like a little over a 1/4" thick or more. Made by the same people who made the cove. Oh and if you are gong to use the foam, I cut mine to fit before I put the walls up. Since mine was an oval and the sides curve out, I used the frames as cutting guides layed on top of the foam and pre-cut it all to fit before I put the walls up. Inother words I had the foam in and taped before I put the walls in the rail.

Aranon.

I just finished putting up a Sharkline Thahtian 18 x 40 oval buttless free pool with 2" blue Dow Chemical styrofoam. I put the gorillia pad (which looked like heavy white felt) on top of the foam and then the foam cove base. I absolutely love the feel of the bottom. It feels firm but soft. Its great walking on. No foot prints. No liner wrinkles. I taped the seams and there is one place where I can feel the seam. I had 1-2 inches of packed sand under the foam.

If I had to do it all over again I think that I might use two layers of 1" foam with the seams crisscrossed. This way the top seams would be sitting on something more solid (the 1" underneath it) than sand. I was afraid my liner might be to big with 2" of foam, (was a j-hook liner) but it worked out great. In fact I was worried that the liner was streaching to much but worked out fine. No wrinkles at all. I love the bottom. Its great.

Oh and I used the foam around the sides and it feels great too. Sort of soft when you touch the walls. It was blue and was the extra thick. Looked like a little over a 1/4" thick or more. Made by the same people who made the cove. Oh and if you are gong to use the foam, I cut mine to fit before I put the walls up. Since mine was an oval and the sides curve out, I used the frames as cutting guides layed on top of the foam and pre-cut it all to fit before I put the walls up. Inother words I had the foam in and taped before I put the walls in the rail.

Aranon.

pool supply places on the net sell the foam and cove for the bottom and sides.

I found this site:

http://www.waterwarehouse.com/depts/id-44.html

Is this stuff any better/worse than foam board?

Me? I just went with sand. I don't understand this fad with the foam. Will ie ever breakdown? Does it really make a difference?

We are getting our pool delivered next Thursday (or maybe sooner). I am pretty much 99% sure I am going to use a foam bottom and but the cove stuff.

For those that have used a foam bottom, what type of foam did you use and how thick. Also do ou just tape the underside with duck tape or do you tape the underside and topside ?

I bought the Gorrilla pad, but I think I will also use the 1 1/2" foam first then put my Gorrilla pad. Does anyone know about how many sheets of the blue foam I will need for an 18' round pool???