New Pool Help

POOL_KID

so, i'm about to get a new pool built by Patio Pools in Tucson and i have questions regarding the stuff they want to use. here's the list of items with my questions

pool is approx 13'x28' (12k gallons) 3'-to-6' slope and with 7' round spa. there were different chemical options and i like the benefits of SafeSwim non-chlorine chemical

cartridge filter - are these better than a sand filter (using maintenance, filtration, cost as metrics)?

in floor cleaning system - are these worth the ~$7k price tag and do they work well?

pebbleTec pebble sheen finish - does this finish last like they say?

ozonator - roughly $500, is it worth the $$$

basic halogen lights - i like LED fixtures, anyone else agree?

thanks for any info

Sand filters are easier to maintain because a simple backwash is all it takes to clean. Cartridge filters require the cartridges to be removed and manually cleaned. However, cartridges filter smaller particles than sand. Built in pool cleaners work great although an additional 7K seems a bit expensive. Dont waste your money on an ozonator. If you like LEDs go with it.

• 2 weeks later...
so, i'm about to get a new pool built by Patio Pools in Tucson and i have questions regarding the stuff they want to use. here's the list of items with my questions

pool is approx 13'x28' (12k gallons) 3'-to-6' slope and with 7' round spa. there were different chemical options and i like the benefits of SafeSwim non-chlorine chemical

cartridge filter - are these better than a sand filter (using maintenance, filtration, cost as metrics)?

in floor cleaning system - are these worth the ~$7k price tag and do they work well?

thanks for any info

The filter that will filter the finest is D.E. (personally, too much maintenance in my opinion), than cartridge, finally sand.

Sand is the easiest upkeep, but if you get a four cartridge filter, not a single cartridge, you will have no problems and little maintenance!

Cleaner - I don't believe in these in floor systems. If the pool is designed correctly with extra wall returns and skimmers, they will work. IMO, nothing beats a good ole Polaris Pressure side cleaner!!!

Pebble Tec, nice stuff - a little bumpy in texture

Ozonator - personally I like the salt generators

Lights - not a fan of the LED lights - I also like the halogen - Jandy the best out of all of them

• 3 weeks later...

Skip the in-floor cleaning system (a simple Polaris 280 or 380 will work just fine), Pebble-Tec finish is worth every cent, buy the lights you like best, and go with a salt-based chlorination system. Cartridge filters are superior to sand in my opinion, and the difference between a DE filter is not noticeable enough to spend the extra money. Any filter I have to backwash is not a filter I'm interested in having. Best of luck to you.

• 2 months later...
Skip the in-floor cleaning system (a simple Polaris 280 or 380 will work just fine), Pebble-Tec finish is worth every cent, buy the lights you like best, and go with a salt-based chlorination system. Cartridge filters are superior to sand in my opinion, and the difference between a DE filter is not noticeable enough to spend the extra money. Any filter I have to backwash is not a filter I'm interested in having. Best of luck to you.

In My Opinion, i would not install a pool with out an in floor cleaning system, and i have built over 500 pools of all shapes and sizes, forget the old Polaris, or any type of cleaner you have to drag in and drag out of your pool, they look unsightly, and are a pain to remember to put in and take out, and dont forget with an in floor cleaning system you are also getting a circulation system, giving you even chemical & even heat distribution through out your pool, no longer will you be subseptable to alge on the steps or in the corners, every inch of water gets the opportunity to be filtered and sanitized.

Re cost, i think you should ask your self, how much would you pay for someone to clean your pool everyday for the rest of your pool lifetime, and how much would the reduced chemicals and heating add up to? then 7 k seems a bargain to me. I have worked out it takes around 4 - 5 years to pay for iteslf if you were to have your pool looked after by a pool service technician

Polaris is proably the pick of the bunch when it comes to other cleaners, remembering you are still cleaning the surface of your pool and the floor, most suction cleaners are hooked inot the skimmer, and hence you have no skimming action when you are skimming the floor. the other thing to mention is hydraulics are affected when you add most types of cleaners to your hydraulic plan, giving you lower flow rates and hence less desireable filtration and sanitation.

read the Polaris or any other suction / pressure cleaners box, i think you may find tha manufacturer advises pool owners to remove the system if you intend on swimming in the pool, Gee i wonder why. No such issues with in floor cleaning and circulation systems.

:wub:

In order to justify the cost of the floor system just look around your back yard. Do you forsee alot of debris getting in the pool? Im in Florida, its funny how many people put a screen room and THEN a floor system. I've been in the pool servicing end of pools for 19 years and in my opinion floor systems only make builders and the salesman happy. Get yourself a Hayward Pool Vac and save around $6600. Make sure your pool builder installs a third line( extra suction line in the side of the pool) so you can plug the pool vac in and also be able to use the skimmer.

When it comes to a filter system nothing is better than a DE system. DE systems filter down to around 3 microns , Cartridge around 15 and sand in the 20's. What is really improtant when it comes to filters is, how much use will the pool get? Do you have kids? will it be heated thru winter months? In my opinion DE filters can't be beat and the extra work is probably 3 more minutes a week.

Personally I'm a fan of Diamond Brite finishes but that might be regional. I know it is pretty typical to have to acid wash Pebble Tech every 5 or so years tho.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for any info

$7000 for a floor system? Geeezzz. I'll sell you the system for $2200, you pay a guy $1500 to plumb it in and then you buy a plane ticket to the islands. I'm a builder and like them and yes I make money on them, but come on. I like cartridge filters and I market Eco-Smart Ionizers as a sanitation system. --ken -- gulfstreampool@comcast.net

• 5 weeks later...

My experience has been that the in-floor cleaning systems CAN work quite well, but a good return side cleaner like a polaris 380 or hayward phantom are more efficient, and far cheaper. I would only recommend an in-floor cleaner if you absolutely can't stand having hoses running around your pool when you're not in it, or if the pool shape/design prevents the use of a return side cleaner (not likely).

Pebble tec is fantastic. Pebble sheen is great as well. tec is a little rough, sheen is slightly smoother. They are both very durable. I highly recommend either one.

DE filters are the most maintenance and highest cost, but are most effective. (filters out the smallest particles)

Cartridge filters are mid-line. Cheaper and easier to use than DE, but less effective.

Sand filters are cheap. They are easy to use, and fairly effective, but they let larger particles through than DE or cartridge.

If you get a large volume of dirt in your pool, sand is one of the best. Where I live, people in town use cartridge filters to great effect. Those outside town, closer to orchards and farmland use sand filters.

In general, a good cartridge filter is great.

Ozonators are questionable. Some people see a difference with them, some don't. I would compare them to herbal dietary supplements. Some people they work for, some they don't. If you want one, the only thing it will hurt is your wallet.

I definitely like salt chlorinators. Don't expect them to work magic, as they don't really reduce the amount of maintenance you will be doing. They will make your water much more comfortable though. Much easier on the skin and eyes. It still uses chlorine, but if converts the salt into chlorine automatically, so that you do not need to store chlorine at home, or add it to the pool manually.

Chlorine is still the most effective sanitizer for swimming pools. There are alternatives that DO work, but most are more expensive and less effective.

LED lights usually last longer, use less power, and are prettier to look at than standard incandescent lights. A typical incandescent pool light will use 500 Watts, where most LED lights are 40W-60W. a 500W incandescent light will typically be brighter, so you might have to install two LED lights where one 500W light would have worked.

If you want to spend the extra, the LED lights are well worth the cost.